1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mixing shot size?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by N. J. BOB, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Much ado about nothing....Just pick a shot size 7 1/2 od 8 and go with it...

2. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Remington Tried this back in the 90's

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

That's a very good idea. It will probably revolutionize trap shooting. The 81/2s will draft behind the 71/2s and be subjected to less air tubulence. This will improve patterns and be a boon to trapshooting. HMB

4. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Remington tried it a few years back but I do not remember what they called it.It never caught on.I tried loading some my self but they did not seem to break targets as well as plain old 7-1/2.

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Within reason (say a mix of 7.5. 8.0 and 8.5) and at very short ranges such as skeet, there is probably little detriment in using mixed shot sizes. This is because at short ranges, the different shot sizes will not have time to significantly separate from the main pattern. That this works okay has been shown in the use of reclaimed shot, wherein shot is often mixed in size, not well separated out and still seems to work ok. However, at longer ranges, such as trap or longer sporting clays targets, the shot sizes will slow down at rapidly changing rates and will begin to create holes in the shot pattern, causing missed targets which might otherwise have broken. you must remember that a shot pattern is not a single blob of shot as appears on a pattern board, but is actually elongated. Using different shot sizes can greatly increase this elongation effect, creating many pattern holes and resulting in poor shot patterns at longer ranges. Hence, I think you would find few good shooters using reclaimed shot for handicap targets or for actual shoots vice uniform shot for good loads.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Remington marketed the 7-1/2 X 8's as the "Duplex Shell". They had numerous varities for target shooting and hunting. Never really caught on and I'm sure it didn't enhance a thing....just another gadget.

Curt

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Tshooter92,

Sift a bag of shot sometime and see what you end up with. You'll be very close to what you're descibing.

ec90t

8. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Buy some of that reclaimed, cleaned shot from a local club next time, basicly that is what you get.

Ronbo

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Besides sifting a bag of shot, mic shot from new shells sometime...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.