1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mixed promo and red dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coho, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coho

coho Member

i just dumped a full bottle of red dot from the top of my 9000g into a partial keg of promo - shoul i trash it?

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

The textbook answer is to use it for fertilizer. I'd ask the manufacturer. I did a similar thing with two Alliant powders and they told me to shoot it. Ron

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Since they have the same burn rate I would think not. I would shake it up real good and use it. The difference in the 2 powders is supposed to be the consistency of weight, which is why they tell you to check each container.

If you are running a middle of the road load, You won't change anything enough to make a difference.

Aaaaaannnnnnnnnnd..........if you are nervous I will take the keg off your hands and not even charge you.

hM

4. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

Prodot !!!!!

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Looks like the flower bed will be well fertized now. I know the desity of these two powders are different and how they both obtain their burn rates could be very different. Just two wrong chemicals being burned together could be very catastraufic to ones health.

If you do go ahead and load this concoction, please notify everyone on this site and those you shoot with so we can keep our distance. A few $$ worth of powder isn't worth it.

ss

6. fishguts

fishguts Member

When I did it, I shot it.

Wayne

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Load 18 grains after mixing thouroughly and you will be alright. Perssures are almost equal, you are actually lightening the load.

Or you can load 17 Grs 2 3/4 dram equiv.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, in a similar case, I admitted that when a bottle on my MEC gets low, I just pour in another powder - adjust the bushing if need be - and keep loading. As here, some didn't worry, while others predicted that I would set the atmosphere on fire, cause a second Great Extinction, and set the earth up for a return to the Age of the Reptiles. So I brewed up a 50/50 mix of Clays and Green Dot and tested what would happen.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Not much happened. So I continue to do it when I have to, avoid it when convenient.

. . .and see, no reptiles.

Neil

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Isn't going to be hard shooting good scores with your mixture?

It's hard to focus on the bird when your eyes are squinting waiting for the potential "explosion".

10. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

So the "enlightened_one" of reloading knowledge and patterning mixes powder.....
    Sounds as if its another "Obama conspiracy"! For shame!!!!!!!!!!!

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Mixings against everything I know about reloading. Please do not shoot next to me if you are one of those powder mixers. How many of you guys on here that say it's ok are chemical/explosive engineers?

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

For years some friends of mine mixed RED DOT and HERCO and called it REDCO
    and now are mixing PROMO and HERCO ad are calling it PROCO. they weigh the powder and mix it pound for pound, they mix it thouroughly, and load 23 grains of it with 1 1/8th oz of shot.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The worst that can happen if you use the powder, is that the Moon will leave orbit and crash into the Earth. HMB

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Personally, I am surprised that Alliant has not marketed Redco.

15. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Why don't you just mix in a little ammonium nitrate and diesel too.

jim brown

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

O ye of little faith. You crowd the limits of sensibility with 1500 fps porch loads and threaten catastrophic explosions when 2 equal burn rates are mixed.

No, I am not a Chemical engineer, but I do have the capacity for logical reasoning.

Of all the powders out there, these two are the closest to each other in the whole of Creation. I would wager Promo is Red Dot that failed some esoteric QC standard.

Sheesh.

HM

17. jim brown

HM

Why don't you give him your name. Save him the time of finding it when he gets ready to file suit.

jim brown

18. Neil Winston

'long as he keeps the mixture far away from cow magnets, I'll bet he gets away with it.

Neil

19. jim brown

Neil,

Me thinks that giving advice contrary to that offered by the manufacturer may not be advantageous to your financial health.

jim brown

20. Neil Winston

I'm not giving advice, Jim. I'm saying what happened when I mixed two powders well different in burning speed. Where do you think powder comes from? And how do they make it burn as they like?

. . . but I don't rip the tags off of mattresses, if that calms you some . . .

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

promo compared to red dot