1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MIXED EMOTIONS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MACH4RANDY, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MACH4RANDY

MACH4RANDY Member

BOUGHT A NEW GUN AND WANTED A CUSTOM STOCK, FOUND SOME BEAUTIFUL BLANKS THAT MET STOCKMAKERS SIZE REQUIREMENTS.
    WENT IN FOR FITTING AND STOCK WAS MADE, AND MAN IT IS A BEAUTY.
    AFTER ABOUT 1500 ROUNDS IT CRACKED COMPLETELY AROUND THE GRIP AREA STARTING AT THE SCREW WHERE TRIGGER GARD IS.
    I CALLED AND THEY SAID THEY WOULD "TAKE CARE OF IT EVEN THOUGH I FURNISHED THE WOOD".
    I SENT IT IN AND THEY DID AN OUTSTANDING REPAIR.
    HOWEVER THEY CHARGED ME $500.

COMMENTS, QUESTIONS....

2. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Wood is a very unstable resource. A piece of wood may look to be perfect but in fact has stress in some places. In the manufacutring of the stock wood is removed and those stress areas may and often do show up in the form of stress cracks. You are very lucky that it could be repaired to your satifaction. I hope you get many years of great shooting from your stock.

If you have ever tryed to repair anything with a crack and repair it so you can not find it it's not an easy job. Better the $500.00 than a brand new, start over stock. Just my opinion. Bernie K

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you and them didn't have the same interpretation of "we'll take care of it".

Now that resins are available, wood is a really impractical material for a gun stock given it's fragility and instability. I'd buy synthetic stocks for all my trap guns in a minute if anybody made them. All my other guns have synthetic stocks.

MK

4. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If they guaranteed it, $500 should be fair. 1OT

5. MACH4RANDY

MACH4RANDY Member

THANKS GUYS

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Randy, if they supplied the wood, I'd have a problem with a 500 dollar fix too! Under the circumstances though, sound fair to me if they guarantee the fix. Some stock makers epoxy the inletted areas to prevent cracking before the stock is ever tightened down too!

Hap

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I think you are lucky they fixed it for $500. Anytime you supply the materials you take the risk. I also think you are a good guy for not blaming them like some folks would.

8. MACH4RANDY

MACH4RANDY Member

THATS WHY I WAS CAREFUL TO NAME NO NAMES. THE FIX IS ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.