1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mitt Romney has "Rockefeller Problems"

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by bigdogtx, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

From Newsmax:

In his bid for the Republican presidential nomination, Mitt Romney faces the same problem that confronted New York Gov. Nelson Rockefeller in his 1964 bid for the GOP presidential nod — a failure to engage conservatives.

That’s the view of Chris DeSanctis, who offers readers a history lesson in a new article on the American Thinker website.

Rockefeller was a liberal Republican and head of the moderate-to-liberal wing of the GOP based in the Northeast, nicknamed me-too Republicans because their platform resembled the Democratic Party’s platform.

Believing his support among moderate and liberal Republicans was secure, early front-runner Rockefeller “tried to court the growing conservative wing of his party” led by Sen. Barry Goldwater, according to DeSanctis, an adjunct professor in the Department of Government and Politics at Sacred Heart University in Connecticut.

But the liberal GOP establishment was alienated by Rockefeller’s rightward move, while conservatives failed to embrace a liberal Northeast Republican. So Rockefeller changed course and began to viciously attack conservatives.

The tactic backfired, and Goldwater won the nomination. “The conservative wing of the GOP had shocked the liberal wing,” DeSanctis notes.

Now in this year’s GOP race, “Mitt Romney has Rockefeller problems,” he asserts, quoting former George W. Bush speechwriter Michael Gerson: “Romney’s main political vulnerability is a serious one. Running for Massachusetts governor in 2002, he was a pro-choice, economically centrist, and culturally liberal, business-oriented Republican.”

And due to his Massachusetts record, conservatives “refuse to embrace Romney. Like Rockefeller, this prevents him from uniting the party,” DeSanctis says.

But those conservatives “love” Rick Santorum because he has remained consistent to his conservative beliefs about government, says DeSanctis, who concludes:

“Goldwater’s issues of low taxes, a smaller federal government, strong military, support for individual rights, and conservative family values, among others, are now mainstream in the GOP.

“This is why today, against all odds, a traditional conservative like Rick Santorum is rising.”

A recent poll of Republicans and GOP-leaning independents by the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute showed Santorum with 35 percent of the vote to Romney’s 26 percent.

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Mitt Romney has

Yes.

3. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Mitt Romney has

Sadly, Rick is falling. Tomorrow night, Romney will sweep Michigan and Arizona. Santorum will be an honorable also-ran and Gingrich and Paul will look like the ghosts of Christmas Past. Even though "Super Tuesday" will distribute delegates to the four candidates, the distribution will not be spread equally. Romney will begin his ascension and in short order, it will become apparent who our candidate will be. When the posturing is finally over, we'll be left with Mitt Romney and the democrats will be left with Barack Obama. All the inane, extraneous who-shot-John will be over...and then the REAL fun will begin. Just wait until the Republican "opposition research department" gets cranked up. If you think that between 5,000 to 10,000 angry white guys have been sitting around hoping to beat Ubama on blind luck, you're crazy.

When this thing's over, the poor bastard is going to look like a caucasian, and it'll all be in the name of good, clean American politics. What a country.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Mitt Romney has

I won't be "left with Romney", because I'll vote third party.

I am not now not ever going to reward a stinkin' liberal gun banner with my vote.

I'm not the only one who feels that way. And don't blame us for Romney losing. Everyone who is backing that liberal skunk is to blame, not us. We're not taking a bite of the crap sandwich you're serving up.

5. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

Mitt Romney has

When I got two calls last night from the Santorum campaign telling me that, as a Democrat, which I ain't, never have been, nor ever will be, I should go vote for Santorum in the MI primary today, any lingering doubts I may have had were right out the window. When a Republican candidate is recruiting Democrats to vote for him so he can beat Romney knowing the Democrats would rather run Obama against him because Obama polls better against Santorum, it seems like a line has been crossed--the stupid line.
    Dave

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Mitt Romney has

Shotgun,,,,,,mitt only beats Obama against Rick by 1% by the last national poll that I saw,,,,,Mitt has too much going for the Obama machine,,,,,hus incessant flips on global warming,,,,romnaycare,,,,,his colluding with Ron Paul to go after Rick,,,,Paul was running negative ads against Santorum when he gave up in Michigan,,,,,the disparity of mitt's money with the working class,,,,,

The most recent poll of those who considered themselves very consertavive was 38% for mitt and 60% for Santorum,,,,,,while I will vote for him,,,,,,I fear that this will be another 2008 when the R establishment tried to shove a moderate down our throats......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.