1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mistake leads to 25 straight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Well as a proud Dad, I had to post this.

Today was the start of the fall school practice season.

My 16 yr old Son shooting a SKB 85TSS got to the 16 yd line and then waved me over.

He stated he inadvertently put in the MOD choke by mistake.
    He's never had the MOD choke in the gun before and at 16 yds he normally uses an IM.

I told him, it is what it is and to do his best.
    Well after a score of 45/50 with 25 straight, he's now convinced the MOD is the best choke :). I told him before he makes up his mind, perhaps another 50 is in order.

Craig

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Whatever works. Now that he has confidence in his equipment he may do better purely by that alone.---Matt

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Bet that memory will last your lifetime, Craig...:)

Best to you both!

milt

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I keep making that same mistake myself. A Mod works fine, as long as the shot is on the target. I think a Mod is one of the best all around chokes you can use. It's good shooting, no matter what choke he had in the gun.

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I'm sure that won't be a mistake anymore. He'll be using M for 16 from now on.

I once left a Perazzi #4 (0.016" constriction) in my bottom barrel from previous SC shooting, I got a 49 from it the next day.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If it works, it ain't a mistake.

7. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

ARE YOU GOING TO POST A PICTURE WITH THE PATCH NOW???

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Honestly, using a modified choke instead of the improved modified choke made absolutely no difference at all. A modified choke won't get you a single target an improved modified choke wouldn't have. It just doesn't work that way.

He broke a 25 because he pointed the gun properly, 25 times in a row.

His score would have been a 25 either way.

Congratulations to your son.

Don't burst any buttons! I know how it feels when your kid runs them for the first time!

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

in 1986 I took a new SKB 505 out of the box with no time to shoot a practice round and proceeded to the 16 yd line for a round of 100 registered singles. I was dead on, eye to hand timing was perfect and I was chipping small pieces instead of inkballing. Ran the first 25, told my buddy that I was puzzled because I knew I should be getting inkballs? Next 25, same thing. My buddy took the gun from me and looked in the end of the barrel. I had failed to put a choke tube in. I put in the Mod and proceeded to inkball the next 50 for a 100 straight. Congrats to your son for his shooting and the memory it leaves behind

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I've heard that exact same story from at least 6 other shooters.

I wonder if it really happened to any of them?

MK

11. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

That SKB85TSS with anything more than a MOD choke will smoke targets from 27 yards and beyond. When I owned that gun, I shot 16 yard singles with a LIGHT MOD Briley choke. The extended Carlson's MOD choke patterns even better. If I could shoot an Un-Single, I'd still own the gun.

Goooooooooooooooo Lil Blue Raven!

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

timb99 is correct. The choke didn't do anything, but trying out something new can easily result in more concentration on breaking the target. The increased focus on the job will certainly do something.

Pat Ireland

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

MK, if you care to elaborate on who you are referring to, I or Bluerave81 may be able to confirm the story. I know I can!!! I am quite sure he can also

14. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Tim and Pat, not being a shooter, pardon my ignorance on the subject, but if there is no difference in performance between an IM and a MOD, then why have the option?

I'm not questioning your opinion just looking for clarification.

Thanks,
    Craig

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Craig- With a more open choke, the pattern does not get bigger. Some of the shot in the central core of the pattern will move out toward the edges of the pattern as the choke becomes more open. This makes little difference from the 16 yard line. It can make a significant difference form the 27 yard line.

I personally like the tighter choke for singles. I want to know if I have put the center of the pattern on the bird (smoke). If I start chipping a few birds, I know I need to make a change or something bad is coming soon.

Pat Ireland

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What Pat said.

17. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

OK, I understand that at 16 yds the pattern is pretty much set but remember, we're talking about teen shooting where-as reaction times tend to be a bit slower due to indecisiveness.

I think an experience shooter at 16 yds, would be the same as a inexperienced shooter at 20 yds.

So at 20 yds, wouldn't having more shot dispensed though-out the target generally lead to more broken targets?

My Son has a higher average at 22 yds. with a full choke than at 16 yds. with an IM. Perhaps that is because his reaction time is a bit slow?

Again, I'm not questioning your opinion, I'm just trying to figure things out.

Thanks,
    Craig

18. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I prefer to shoot nothing but modifed. I just ran 50 straight from the 16 and 25 straight from the 27 yard line before I missed one, all using a modified choke...doesn't sound like a mistake to me.

Kevin

19. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I've been shooting ATA for about years now. I started out with the theory to practice with trap full choke and then use a mod or IM during competition with the theory that the more open pattern would be more forgiving. However I came to find the trap full appeared to show me where my hits where; behind, over, etc. and helped me feel comfortable that I knew how to adjust. After first year I found I was more comfortable keeping the trap full choke in and feeling more confident with crushing the targets or seeing I should adjust.
    Now I think you should do what is right for you as a shooter just trying to share I found Pat's feedback making sense in my experience.

20. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Blueraven,

The thought process of,

"It's A tighter choke" will lead to more concentration

""""My Son has a higher average at 22 yds. with a full choke than at 16 yds. with an IM. Perhaps that is because his reaction time is a bit slow?""""

This sentence pretty much sums it up,

My translation, is "it is harder so I concentrate more"

A teen that is paying attention, can have faster reactions then us (older) dads!

I shoot I full choke form the 16 yard line,

Not because I have to , but when I shoot a more open choke "I" let down, and miss due to in-attention, the tighter choke makes me have to pay full attention!

that to me, is part of the mental aspect of this game that makes it so much fun.

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.