1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Missouri Fall Handicap: Say it aint so!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Beau69, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

Just checked the Missouri website. Not that I am saying these guys are sandbaggers but both big handicaps won by guys on the 20 or 20.5 yd line...just doesnt look good. Yes, every dog has its day but....I smell a rat.

Event 2 Ron Calvert CHAMP 98 20 yards 86.6% average this year. Career High
    Event 7 Devi Rathod CHAMP 97 20 yards 87.7% average this year.
    Event 13 Charlie Phillips CHAMP 100 straight 20 yards. 85% average on 1200 career targets.
    Event 15 Alan Blair CHAMP 100 straight 20.5 yards 93% average on 1800 targets.
    Event 17 Dwayne Dummitt 100 straight 20.5 yards first yr shooter, 86% average.

Now, I hope this thread gets flooded with "these are the nicest guys you'll ever meet" messages but...it just doesnt seem right. I guess some people will say 'the handicap system is working', etc, but I don't buy it.

Congrats to them, its just too bad this seems to happen all the time!

Beau

2. zinger

zinger Member

well, at least we know for sure that Devi isn't from Kentucky!..lol Congrats Curvey!

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Isn't Devi - recury? The other ones gotta be from the land of sand (Ky). LOL

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Good shooting Devi and the rest also don't know the rest of them but even if there are any sandbaggers then all I got to say is there is are plenty of good scores shot from the fence so anytime you win from any yardage then you earned it in the old day's the short yardages would win a lot more but now days the ones that can afford to travel all over the place that shoot's from the 27 will shoot just as good as the short yardage guy that is has a family to keep up and can't afford to go to all of the shoot's around.

So I like to see the regular guy win myself.

Foghorn220

5. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

nice troll?
    I think its GREAT if these people all won legit. It just seems like thats never the way it works.
    Just making an observation "MIA"

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I'm sending a letter to BOD... "Devi should get bumped to 25 yds!" Just kidding...great shooting Devi.

7. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

You have to looking at winnings before tossing around the term sandbagger. How did these people make out on options?

~Michael

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Bo, Might want to check the score on that last one. I believe he broke a 99 as did Sean Hawley. Dwayne won the shoot off 24 to 22.

Jim

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I thought that's why they call it handicap. So everyone has an equal opportunity to get luckier than good....

10. SwannyinMinn.

SwannyinMinn. TS Member

I think this has been partially fixed with no reductions for a couple years. If they want to blow $ trying to stay close in hopes of hitting it big, and people still want to play the money, more power to em. don't want sandbaggers? Take the money out of the game.

11. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I do not have a dog in this fight but it seems to me that this is recurrent theme. I have yet to see an All-American post here complaining about "sandbaggers". I have no idea who is sandbagging , but I bet the money would be very small without the short yardage boys playing the game.The "Big Boys" are good enough to win most of the time and do not worry about what others do, only what they need to do. I do not condone sandbagging, but since many believe it occurs, maybe they should not play the money, since "they" are sure that people are sandbagging. One thing is for sure , if there is money on the line, some will try to "game the system". Did I not just see where the BOD will allow three yards off in a year?

Charlie Becknell

12. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

It seems to me that most everybody has just had an entire season of shooting leading up to this event. An AVERAGE of 86% means that there were scores below 86 as well as scores above 86, unless all scores were 86 (and who could do THAT?).

So, figure the majority of low scores came in the earliest shoots after the winter. Also, figure that the more shooting a person does, the better the scores in general.

So why is it so surprising that these people would break decent scores NOW?

I always found my best scores at the end of the target year with punches coming just in time for me to stop shooting registered targets because of a little thing called WINTER. And that's why I seldom kept earned yardage very far into the next season. Not everyone can take the time or spend the money to follow the sun.

13. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Charlie Becknell & Jim Brown (the puller):

It looks like yall are in tune with the real world today if it wasn't for a lot of the short yardage shooter's that think they might just have a chance of winning some of their money back then im sure the big dogs wouldn't play it all in the handicap event.

Especially at a place like the Fall Shoot I know when I was there the targets wasn't the best but most of the every day 27 yard shooter can still break a good score over the week end shooter even from a shorter yardage.

Foghorn

14. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Hard to understand the complaint when you have 30 - 35 yd shooters shooting on the 27 yd line by design.

Who is sandbagging!!

15. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

To posters Foghorn, Becknell, & Brown above: Great Comments! You said it right. To "copy cat" FDR's famous saying: "The only thing to fear about winning $$$$ (about "sandbagging") is fear $$$$ itself". If you think a game is rigged or being manipulated by the players - don't bet your hard earned $$$$. It's that simple. You will sleep better, free of the paranoia from putting your money in game you think is rigged. If you think the game is fairly "handicapped", bet all the money you can afford and remember (not if, but when) you lose, it was because of your ability..."known or established". For me, the most fun bet is the "lucky number" - the Lewis - hoping it isn't rigged. Best Regards, Ed

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

What yardage groups are supposed to win major handicap events, short, middle or long?

Pat Ireland

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

I am sure that Devi et al are very pleased they had a good day. We all have them. It makes us think we may someday be good shooters. We need to encourage people and not put them down.

I don't know the rest of the winners, but I believe Devi would rather be on the 27 shooting low 90's than winning from the 20. Most "short yarders" feel the same way.

Sure sandbagging occurs; but not every "little dog" that shoots a good score is guilty. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. Let them enjoy their achievement.

Congratulations Devi. I see you have had a tough year; but it is great to see things came together for you in Missouri.

Don

PS: If some of the whiners have never shot a decent score, get out and take lessons. Learn to shoot and practice.

18. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

What is the link that shows these results? Can someone post it so we all can see it?

19. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

First year shooter. Think he played the money?

Just type dummitt in the box.

20. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Could someone please post the link that shows the results for the shoot?

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.