1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mississippi Houseboats

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Catpower, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I was talking to my old buddy I grew up with in NW Iowa and we decided that we would like to rent a houseboat for a week or two and cruise around on the Mississippi.

Have any of you ever done this and if so who was the best to rent a boat from

Thanks, Rick

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I cruised the Mississippi on a trawler back in 2000. This river is not for cruising if you're not a seasoned boater. The are No marinas south of Alton, Illinois for over 200 miles - The river has a five knot current & gas powered boats don't have enough range if they mess up. The tow captains are great, but give them lots of room & let them know way in advance of your intentions.

Phil Berkowitz

3. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Can't help you with who to rent a houseboat from but had a friend who had a houseboat in East Tennessee. He wanted to run the entire length of the Tennessee River, go down the Mississippi to Memphis and then come back up and return to East Tennessee. He did fine until he got to the junction of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. He pulled out into the Mississippi River current and quickly realized his boat did not have enough power to come back up the Mississippi in heavy current. He was fortunate in being able to get back into the Ohio River mouth. He said he visioned his boat backing into New Orleans while at full forward throttle.

4. Catpower

We were looking at the upper river and the sites that I have been looking at said the current is between 1.2 and 3 knots the boats I have been looking at have twin 200 HP outboards with about 250 gallon tanks

I does sound like the making of a fiasco, but they can be fun too

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Go to Kentucky lake and rent one, take poles cause the fishing is awesome

6. Catpower

Might have to check into a lake cruise

7. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

The Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri is great and have houseboats for rent. Click on link.

Sue

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Hey Catpower, I guarantee if you rent a house boat at kentucky lake or lake powell you will have the time of your life

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Forgot-get a canal boat & do the Erie canal--totally awesome

Phil Berkowitz

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The Mississippi River is very low right now. In fact it has not been this low since WWII. The barge traffic has slowed and the channel they can travel is narrowed. I have been on this big River numerous times on various size boats. It can be very dangerous without the proper knowledge. I witnessed a pleasure boat of fairly large size sink and the boaters were lucky to get out. They hit a floating log that took their lower unit off and rendered their boat helpless. I would agree with the others that you would have a much better time on one of the many fine lakes in Midwest or this Country.

I note you did speak of the Northern part which I have no experience with. My experience is from Chester, IL to just North of Alton, IL.

11. gusto777

gusto777 Member

I agree with cubancigar, Lake Powell is astonishing !! You want to go in late April or Early May before it gets hot. Plus lots of other things to do and see in that part of the country, ie: Glen Canyon Dam, Monument Valley, Zion National Park ,Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, etc., etc., etc.. It should be on everyone's Bucket List.

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

They rent house boats at McGregor, or Marquette Iowa. They are both right on the Mississippi River.

You might find out who or what the company name is by Googling for it.

I've never done it, but it does look like fun.

Hauxfan!

13. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Hauxfan is right.
    The Miss. is lots of fun from Dubuque on north.
    There are several house boat rental places in NE Iowa, SW Wisconsin and SE Minn.
    Mid to late June/Early July would be best.

Bring your beer drinking hat though.... Esp. in Wisconsin

14. Catpower

Thanks for the input, I was kind of wanting to go to a lake but he is he#$ bent on the Mississippi (think he read too much Huck Finn) so I guess we will work from there

It does sound like fun though

And yes we all will be wearing our beer drinking hats LOL

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

This river don't go to Aintree boy ; )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.