1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing the last target on a 25 straight.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by crusha, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

Don't do it.

2. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

Clear your mind of any thoughts other than "smash this target!!!" Don't think about your score, and if think about not missing, put your gun down until you are ready to take your time and see the target, then watch it break with your head on the stock. This game is easy. Keep it that way!!! (and have fun doing it)

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Try and"SEE" the last taget until it is broke. You of course nailed it when you say it is mental. Most everybody has choked on the key target and I handle it by doing everything the same as the last 24 with the exception that I make sure I watch the target break over my barrel. Many of us lift our head or just don't finish the shot on a key target when you are nervous about it and more then anything we just want to get it over with. This leads to headlifting and bailing out of the gun before the shot is finished. It's a funny thing as each target is key but when we are clean we tend to approach it in a diffrent fashion then we did the previous 24 that we broke!. And why? In order to break it!!! Just doesn't make sense and yet many of us do it over and over. So do something diffrent and stop doing it. Take somebodys advice and do something diffrent. Anything.... Even if it is wrong as we all know that the defination if insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a diffrent result. Good Luck... Jeff

4. blaster

blaster Member

Tell your self IM GOING TO CRUSH THIS TARGET

5. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Just miss the first target then you won't miss the last one.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

When I first started shooting trap, I had that problem. Lots of 24's and missed my last target several times. A fellow trapshooter at the club told me, "If you can hit 24 in a row, why can't you hit 1 in a row". The very next time I faced the dreaded last target for my 25, I thought of that. Smoked it! Ed

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Sportshot, you might want to re-title your subject line. It wasn't a 25 straight, it was only 24 and a "lost" bird. lol

Just kidding with you.

I think at one time or other, we've all been through this.

What I did was to tell myself that this last bird was no different than any other bird and to just break it. And now I do........well, most of the time. lol

Good Luck!

Hauxfan!

8. alf174

alf174 Member

Man up and quit counting targets.

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Repeat the mantra "See the target...Break the target..."

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

10. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

DON'T tell yourself this: "Well, I've gone 24 straight, now I'll probably miss the last one."

DO tell yourself this: "Heck, the first 24 were easy enough. This one will be a piece of cake." Then, take the extra effort to keep your head down, focus hard on the bird, follow through, etc.

Missing the last bird is caused by one of two things:
    Tensing up and mentally taking yourself out of the shot. Or, relaxing too much, thinking it's in the bag, and getting sloppy.

All you need to do is what you'd just done 24 times.

11. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

A suggestion that was given to me at a clinic and that's worked well for me is to focus my thinking on the fact that I am to break 1 target each time 1 is thrown without concern to whether it is the 1st or the 100th. I have been approaching each round as an indeterminate number of 1-bird events. It has helped me a lot!

Morgan

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Sportshot......Don't dwell on it. Just take them one target at a time and you will have no problems. Several years ago I was shooting a registered shoot at the Del Norte Gun Club in Crescent City, California. On Saturdays singles event, I crushed 99 in a row and dropped a dead straightaway on the last target. On Sundays singles event, I again went 99 straight. On the final target, I thought about the previous days "choke", and promptly missed the last target out again! I can honestly say I learned more from those two losses than any other I have ever had. Now, I just concentrate on each individual target and treat it like it's the only target I have to break to win the event.... Just my experience......Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. breakingclays99

breakingclays99 Member

It's all in your head now. Try not to think about it. Trapshooting, or any clay target shooting for that matter, is largely a mental game.

Melissa

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Obvious........pretend it's a 50 target event.

HM

15. Dave90T

Dave90T TS Member

Its not a 25 straight unless you smash the last bird!

But you don't shoot 25 targets at a time, you must break them one by one.

Shoot one target. The ones before mean nothing now, all that matters is the target in front of you.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I onced missed the last bird of four straight traps. Ended up with a 96 in the handycap (27yds) event. Tied for the shoot off and missed the first bird and last bird, and lost. Sometimes things just happen. It was at the Stockton Gun Club.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you are thinking in such a way to put pressure on yourself, change the way you are thinking from "I have to break this target" to "I want to break this target" and then go and do it ... Sounds like you are vapor locking because of the pressure you are putting on yourself to break the 25th target, RELAX ... Good Luck and have fun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. otnot

otnot Active Member

Once in a while I start missing the 1st target out then run the rest of them. This game is 90% mental and you have to learn to control that 6" between your ears to become consistent.

19. jrb

jrb Member

Someone told me after Leo had dropped his 100th target in handicap a few years ago at MTA that Leo said" I've done that 14 times, run the first 99 then dropped the 100th"

even the best do it...so just concentrate just like the other 24....no different!

My buddy once had a problem like that...he dropped the 25th target on 6 out of the 8 traps in a 200 bird singles event! Had run the other 24!!!

Good Luck!

J. R. Brock

20. Hullchucker

Hullchucker TS Member

Whats happening is that you are changing your POI by either lifting your head or just lifting your eyes because you want to see the 25th bird break. Hullchucker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.