1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing the Grand

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by otnot, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

I have only been there once but I have to admit even though the heat was unbearable I sure miss being there. For those of you that haven't been to Sparta it is a sight to see 3.5 miles of traps filled with people shooting. It may not be Vandellia but give it 50 years and it might just be better than Vandellia. Good luck to all of you guys and gal lucky enough to be competing these coming day.

Jim Trujillo

2. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Jim - The truth is it is not Vandalia. But by far a much superior facility.
    Vandalia, regarless what the Ohio shooters say, was an old outdated facility. It had very very poor accomodations for the average shooter. But it did have better lodging conditions. But nothing more. - Jim

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jim, I agree with you,but it did have a touch of nostalgia. Dave

4. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Dave I too had that feeling. But alas nothing in life remains constant. and beside Ohio could have made concessions and/or reasonable offers. - Jim

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

I sure wish as a young man when I had first started shooting that I would have had the opportunity to shoot at Vandalia. But oh well life goes forward and Sparta is a very nice facility and will only continue to get better.

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Jim Elliott.....yes Sparta has nice fields with most of the backgrounds that are/were better than Vandalia......sorry but that is where the "pros" of Sparta over Vandalia END. I'll just list a few "pros" of Vandalia (by the way I attended Sparta in yrs 1 and 2, can't make it this year, maybe next)and I am NOT from Ohio!

1) Restaurants, availability, proximity, quality
    2) Lodging " " "
    3) Proximity to an airport (St. Louis 1+ hours away)
    4) Vendors were better in Ohio (sure a lot are the same, but there was more to see and shop in Vandalia
    5) "Other stuff" to do....Wright Patterson AFB Aircraft museum in Dayton vs. the "Popeye the Sailor" museum in Illinois...
    6) Overall character/ambience of the shoot....in Sparta you spend your day in the car with the AC on to stay cool, drive everywhere, from bank to main bld....then 30 miles to your crummy motel. At Vandalia, riding the trollies was great for meeting new friends and mixing, and just for passing time during the day...this is the part that is missing in Sparta, and will likely never have.
    I realize that the Grand is not going back to Vandalia, and we will have to make the best of it in Sparta, I am not advocating that people should boycott Sparta!

What really gets me is the people that defend Sparta as this GREAT venue and great time.....it just isn't....sadly! FC

7. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Picture was taken at the Grand in 2004. We were the 1st wave out in doubles that morning and we caught the staff checking targets.

Quite a memory considering I broke a 97 that morning and lost the shootoff that night!

FRedmon

8. Ethan Pierce

Ethan Pierce TS Member

Frank C if u havn't noticed sparta has an airport 4 small planes and in time will have all the things Vandalia had. I live here and Sparta is constantly growing. JUST GIVE IT TIME

9. Frank C

Ethan An AIRPORT, not a landing strip....I, along with 99.99% of ATA shooters are not aircraft owning pilots...since you likely never shot Vandalia, you couldn't understand..

10. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Vandalia was OURS. Owned by us for us. We took pride in it . The grand will never have that feeling of belonging and pride. Sparta is just a place to shoot. Like any other place that tosses targets. It is not bad or good just a great facility in the middle of nowhere. The Grand makes it special not the other way around.

In Vandalia you could experience the Grand not just attend.

Things change, This is all there is enjoy it.

Rock

Jim

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but selling Vandalia was NOT an option. Therefore what the Rock said is somewhat untrue. Jake

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

What are you going to complain about now that the temp. is in the 80's with a soft breeze.

Dining is available and becoming more known all the time. Excellent food.

Our wives find more to do and places to spend money than you can imagine. After 3 years they have learned what's happening in the small towns just as they learned about Vandalia.

For a big facility I sure have run into a lot of people I know.

It's getting better every year.

If you think the sport is dying you should have been around here SCPT days. If only a small percentage of those kids hang around, leave and come back or whatever this sport will be around for a long time.

Don

13. hairy

hairy TS Member

If Vandalia had been located in a more rural area, we would still be able to use it. To build a facility like WSC in close proximity to a large growing metro area would be pretty stupid.

If the Phoenix Trap & Skeet club would have been more remote, it would likely still be in existance also...just an example.

PS...the above website is for the Trap & Field editors blog...nice!

14. Frank C

Far superior Ertz???.....OK, so back the statement up with FACT, not just an opinion of a "local".....

15. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

"Far superior" in every way but perhaps the attendance. Looking over the history over the past several years the Grand has been in steady decline since the 100th in Vandalia. Sure the numbers looked good last year on total entries but then again three additional events were added, subtract those and its lowest total attendance in the last seven years. Judging by the decline in shooting around my area this year, I really have to wonder about what will happen at this years Grand.

As for the SCTP shooters, I'm sure there was a large crowd, but then again just how many will continue in the sport? Makes a difference when Mom&Dad are footing the bill vs themselves. Then factor in a career and family and some of these kids today may not come back to the sport for years!!

Been around this game since the early Eighties and can honestly say I'm more worried about the sport then ever before.

Paul H
    Imperial, PA

16. otnot

otnot Active Member

All I can say to all or you that are concerned about our sport is to get involved with the promotion of trapshooting at the local level.

17. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Pa Shooter. - Many of you loose sight of the fact that many family member and friends have startd shooting. But then, again, it is much easier to complain than it is to support. It is not important just how many will continue, or at least come back, as I am sure many will, but what effect this program has on the sport today.

And I truly believe many of us are worried about the future of the sport. That is with the exception of some of our socalled leaders, mainly the BoD.
    - Jim

18. Frank C

I have brought my son into Trapshooting, he is now 21 and has not $hot ATA for a few year$....still shoots in a league, and I have introduced a number of current friends to shooting, some shoot the other diciplines now, some ATA and/or a local league.

BTW, I am STILL waiting for a list of things that are "so much better" in Sparta!?!?!?

19. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

Frank, here's my list:

1.) Parking is 1000% better at Sparta
    2.) The trap fields are spaced out MUCH better (no cross calls)
    3.) The shooting background is hands down better at Sparta
    4.) Traffic flow is much better at Sparta. I don't have to wait for hours to turn into or get out of the entrances.
    5.) Campgrouds aren't a death trap
    6.) The entry building is fantastic at Sparta. Vandalia wasn't even close.
    7.) There's a really good restaurant right on the grounds (not the lunch counter -- the sit-down place)
    8.) There are fishing lakes right on the property.
    9.) You can actually hear the announcements on the loud speakers, even on the last bank
    10.) The bathrooms at the WSRC are maintained extremely well. They must clean them hourly while the event is going on.

I do miss being able to take a walk through the hall of fame like we could at Vandalia. I also didn't like how spread-out the first Grand at Sparta was -- it was tough to find people that you knew. The second year, though, people congregated in and around the main building when they were finished shooting and that personable atmosphere was back (not exactly like Vandalia, but good enough).

--Dan

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

To add one more to Dan's list.

No aircraft coming in over your head and landing 100 yards in front of you, and none taking off distracting your straight run.

No waiting for a ride, jump into your car and to as you can park close to everything.......there is that much more good parking....

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.