1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

missing straightaways need help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by torqueman, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torqueman

torqueman Member

Im new to trap and im I am having problems hitting the straight clays?
    The crossing clays seam to be easyer to hit . I shoot with one eye the gun shoots 4inches high at 15 yards. eneny advice will help.
    THANKS JOE

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I bet your over top of them.

3. torqueman

torqueman Member

Should I LOWER or raise the comb? thanks Joe

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Lower it if you're shooting over the targets.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Setterman is right..."IF" your over them. I'm just guessing becasue its what i tend to see people doing myself included. I haven't seen you shoot.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

You may very well be stopping the gun and shooting under the target. pull up through the target as you shoot.

7. torqueman

torqueman Member

Whats a good amount to start with 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch it is raised 1/2 inch now.

8. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Joe,
    You can't do it this way. There is absolutely nothing anyone can say here that will make any difference, since no one here knows why your missing. Best advice I could give would be to get an experienced shooter at your club to help you. Lock the trap on straightaways from post 3, and shoot until you have it figured out. At least thats a start in the right direction. GaryL.

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Before you start fiddling with the comb.....see if you can get one of the better shooters to stand behind you to see where you are missing.

Even the puller/scorer will most likely be better than any guess that any of us experts can give since he/she is there watching you shoot.

Jason

10. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

There is a good chance that they are not straightaways.
    Most targets will have some angle to them, and if you miss read them as straightaways you will shoot to the side of them,

The best solution is to have the trap locked on straighaways and stand on post three and hold your gun a little above the house for a straightaway and look down the barre. When the bird appears abouve your barrel move with it and break it.

If you don't have the option of locking the trap, hold for the straightaway from each post.
    Hold just above the house and watch the bird emerge over your barrel.

If it emerges to the left or right of your barrel, you know it is not a straightaway and it is some degree of angle bird.

You mentioned that you are a new shooter and this is the quickest way to learn to identify those slight angles.

Later after you have gained some experience, you can vary your hold points
    for the different posts.

It is very easy to misread a birds fading slightly to the left or right as a straightway, which will result in a miss.

You only have around thirty inches of pattern to work with on a straightaway as opposed to 10 or 12 feet of shot string on a angle target.

This procedure has helped me in the past and should work for you,
    assuming your gun shoots where you look.

ed.

11. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

Aim your gun a foot over the top of the trap house. Put your eyes left of the gun barrel (right handed) about three feet over the barrel. Or even to were you are looking standing straight up out into the field. Call for the bird, concentrate on the bird leading edge of the bird and pull the trigger when you touch the bird. Do not look for the front bead. If you hit under(kick pieces up) raise the comb or raise your gun hold a little. Over (kick pieces down) lower the comb. Soon straight aways will become your easiest to hit.

12. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I suspect you are taking your head off the stock to see the bird break. Even a 1/4 inch makes a big difference. that what i do when i miss straight aways. Indeed, #3 is my toughest station where i have to concentrate the most!

13. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

When I am having trouble with straight aways I find it most helpful to get my gun lower on the house forcing me to look over the trap house to look for a target and then making a good move toward it,holding a higher gun tends to make you look for the target while still focusing on the bead and when the target appears above your barrel you jump at it.Jerry

14. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

If you are hitting the rights and lefts you POI must be close. You may popping over the bird. Try this. Make sure you do not move the gun on the call. Hold still just a bit see the bird clearly then move smoothly to the bird. Also, hold the gun firmly with both hands. No arm shooting!!........SMOKIT

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Dixie gave you the answer. Picking up ones head ever so slightly is common among shooters on straight aways. Lock that head on the stock and see what happens before you start changing the gun.

Don

16. johnboy

johnboy Member

Easy bird, just let me make sure I have the beads lined up- lost. Focus on the bird and the see smoke.

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

More people shoot under straights than over them.

First, don't go after the target until you're sure of its path; very few straight-aways are going straight away.

Then track the target with your head firmly on the stock, pull the trigger as the barrel image reaches the bottom of the target and just keep the barrel moving as if you had to shoot the target a second time.

The barrel will likely cover the break which is why so many people lift their head and stop the gun...they want to see pieces.

MK

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

9 times out of 10 your under them

19. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Probably the most "missed" target in trap. Take an extra split second and look at the target hard. Once your eye is locked on the target then move to it and shoot. Don't move slowly or too deliberately but make an aggressive, smooth move and shoot it.

Good luck!

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Well he's probably totally confused now. 1/2 tell him he shooting over and 1/2 say he's shooting under, and nobody has seen him shoot.

Torqueman, ask a good shooter to stand behind you and watch. Keep your head down EVERY time. This is a game of consistancy. It's a simple game if you do everything the same every time. Ask someone who has a high averages to watch you. They will be able to tell you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.