1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing straight aways

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franktri

Franktri Member

I've been shooting 60/40 for a while now and notice that most of my misses are on straightaways. I think it is me as I seem to shoot over them but not on the angle shots. Is it me or do I have to adjust the rib up to about 70/30? Any help?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are shooting over them why would you adjust the rib to make the gun shoot higher? Best thing to do is set the trap machine to throw straight aways from station 3 and shoot a bunch of targets so you can figure out what is going on. HMB

3. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I miss most of my straight away targets because I think that they are straight away and they aren't. I misread the target and shoot along side of it. I have watched other shooters relax on the easy straight aways and stop their gun, shooting under the target. I may be guilty of this also. Bill

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You may also be, unconsciously, picking up your head.

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'll 2nd Timb, head lifting. Mostly because it appears to be a softer target.

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

My Cg was set to shoot high from the factory, I could not hit a straight away.. I adjusted the rib so it shot flatter.. now I hit them.. well most of them.. I may adjust it another notch to make it shoot a little lower and see if this helps.. I know what you mean..

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

There is another thing that you should be aware of if you are moving the gun on your call not on actually seeing the target it will affect you consistency. I found it affected my straight aways more so than my angles.

I train myself by working on holding the gun still until the target passed the end of my gun (Two eyed shooter) if you use one eye the early move probably won't be the problem. At any rate it is a possibility you might want to explore.

Bob Lawless

8. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

I was puzzled by this, as well. Most of my misses are going to be on straightaways, or very nearly so. I just couldn't figure this out but when I asked a great shooter whose ideas I really respect, he said, "A straightaway is really a two-dimensional shot. They can be more difficult to "intercept" without a third dimension of right or left angle." I think he may be on to something there.

Other thoughts?

Doc

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Another possibility. You still need follow-through on a straight-away.

If you stop the gun when you pull the trigger, you'll shoot under it.

Just like on angles, if you stop the gun when you pull the trigger, you'll shoot behind it.

10. pdq

pdq Member

15 minutes standing on #3 shooting straightaways while someone records you with a camcorder will tell you exactly what you are doing wrong. No fix will work until you know what you are doing wrong.

Cost of Camcorder? $300

Cost of DVD? $5

Cost of fixing your shooting? Priceless.

Pete

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Try waiting a bit longer before you trigger on straights. Because there's less gun movement it's easy to think you are on them when your muzzle hasn't actually reached the target or is still above it. Taking a touch more time lets your eyes finish bringing the gun into the critical last couple of degrees of movement. This also gives you time to make sure you are properly under the target with a high shooting gun.

12. glenns

glenns Member

If you are missing straights on post 3 I bet you are thinking this is an 'easy' one and lifing your head.

I've lowered my hold on post 3 so I don't shoot over the bird. Seems to have worked.

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I would say you are stopping your gun and shooting under the target. You have to follow through the target on straightaway targets also. Hard to do because the first thought when you see straightaway is easy target. Concentration wanders, head lifts, gun stops.

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If someone (including yourself) tells you you're shooting over the top it's usually best to ignore them. Raise your impact and if still not successful raise it again! Phil Kiner finds that 85% of missed targets are underneath. I concur!!

15. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

With a shot string being long, you must be really shooting high to miss a straight away. If I were a betting guy I would bet you are shooting to low or right or left.

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Keep your head down and look at the target. You don't need to look up to see it break.

Jim

17. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Read somewhere that "straight away" targets are the most missed in trap shooting and I believe it. If I remember correctly it was because you thought "easy target" and never really got your eye locked on the terget and ended up shooting along side or under it.

From experience I believe it is true. Take your time, look at the target and then move the gun to it, thru it and shoot.

Good luck.

18. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Go back and read Ray Ertel's post. This really helped me. Jack

19. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I learned very early that when I missed a straightaway target it was because I shot under the it.

BB

20. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

If you know that you are keeping your head down and following through, maybe try holding a lower gun on #3.

Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to see where trapshooters are missing

how to shoot straightaways in trap

missing all the straight shots trap

missing straight aways on trap station 3

straight away trap miss

trap shooting missing

trap straight away

why do i miss straight away trapshooting shots