1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing straight away

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dotis, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dotis

dotis TS Member

I am shooting a BT99 and doing pretty good, 22-23 consistent, but for some reason the ones I am missing are straight away birds. Any advise?

2. dotis

dotis TS Member

I am shooting a BT99 and doing pretty good, 22-23 consistent, but for some reason the ones I am missing are straight away birds. Any advise?

3. warren

warren Member

I know what you mean and the reason I miss them is that I stop moving the gun when I pull the trigger and don't follow thru, knowing that and correcting it are two different things.

warren

4. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

I have the same problem. Must be a gremlin in 99s. Love my old 1971 99 anyway. Will try to work a little harder on the follow thru.

5. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Here's a "for what it's worth" for you, dotis: I've shot a BT99 for a lot of years and was having the same problem. Try putting a couple of layers of moleskin on the comb, to raise it a little. "A little" in my case was probably 1/8" or thereabouts. That will raise your POI. It cured my problem, and I'll thank Britt Robinson for the tip.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Besides the comb heigth mentioned above, two other possibilities that come to mind are, cross firing and your BT doesn't shoot straight.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

dotis, when I miss straight-aways it is often by shooting over them, not under. Usually it is because I held too high, but made the same "move". As pheasantmaster suggests, you have to find out where you are shooting and why before you can fix it.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Quit lifting your head, or what is called "taking a peek."

9. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Pattern your gun and make sure your pattern isn't a little left or right.Jerry

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I HATE straight-aways! Hard angle shots are fine, but 25% of the misses is a perfectly easy straight shot. I've noticed that when I miss, I usually over swing and end up going over the top of the target. Sometimes it's because I "peeked", but mostly just shooting over the top of it.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Watch a lot of targets leave the trap and figure out how many TRUE straight away targets you see in a round. Lots of guys assume or misread a target as a straight when it's a slight angle also. That's a great way to miss a so called straight target too!

Hap

12. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

The only advice I have about straightaways is from AveragEd: "Wait for it!" I miss most of my straightaways by shooting too quickly. If you're shooting a full-choked trap gun, there's no need to pop the clay right out of the house. Let it get out there and don't swing too fast.

LA in MA

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

"Flinch" just like you did on the posting you made above ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My hardest shot was a straight away from station 3.. Gary Hallem helped me with that one.. Don't line up in the center of the house.. Always a bit to the left or right.. Then you'll never have that straight away.. You'll first need to know if your pattern is dead center to where you want it to be... Hope this helps.. It helped me.. All Good.. Mike

15. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Its just my lowely opinion but I agree with the other poster. There are very few straight asway shots. When I watch other shooters miss what they call a straight away they are just lagging behind just a little.

I have shoot a lot of Phesants in the legs so I know what I am doing wrong and still hit them right in the butt.

Take care,

Jim

16. romie

romie Active Member

I am in there with Porcupine I tend to shoot too fast and do a lot better when I slow down ont the straits

17. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Could be slightly lifting you head or pulling it back without even noticing it causing to shoot behind or below the target. Most apt to be that with a straightaway. Apparently is not your gun, you just hit 22/23 targets.

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Stay on the bird through pulling the trigger my bet is your stopping the swing

19. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Million reasons for the miss and one for the hit.

Lock the trap and shoot the straightaway, a lot.

Then move just to the right, and left, of the target line and shoot them.

I suspect people end up with a dead gun on a slight angle bird and miss behind.

A little motion with the bird is priceless.

You really need to see what the bird and gun are doing together. So many do not and stab at what appears to be an easy shot.

regards

20. johnboy

johnboy Member

I can almost always do a mental replay of a missed straight away and remember seeing the bead rather than the bird in my hard focus. Something about straight aways makes me want to shift focus back to the bead. Focusing on the bead will slow or stop the gun causing the shot charge to be behind or under a rising bird. Focus harder on the bird and keep head down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
missing straight aways in trap
missing trap striahgt away
shooting the straightaway clay bird in trap
trap shooting missing straight aways

trap shooting tips for straight away targets

why are so many straight away targets missed in trapshooting
why do i always miss straight aways in trap
why you miss the straight away shot trap shooting