1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing left angle targets Need advice!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgunjoej, Aug 30, 2013.

1. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

Right hand shooter. Right eye dominance. I shoot a release trigger and can't seem to get on the leading edge of the target. I've tried opening up my feet position to the left so I do not run out of swing and that does not seem to help much.

It feels like I'm stopping the gun so I'm trying to stay connected to the gun and follow piece to the ground. I have had back surgery about 10 years ago and it limits my flexibility a bit. I'm missing the left angle targets at all five stations. I've never really had the problem in the past before.

I feel like my left eye takes over every now and then so I trying to keep my eyes out in the target break point area to prevent the possibility of bead checking. I'm a little confused on how to correct the problem.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Joe

2. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Joe,

Suffered some of that myself. Left eye was taking over a bit, and I was blocking the left angles by having the gun a bit too far to the left...I guess I was trying to cheat the angles. By moving to a center hold point ( except a bit right of center on 3) I found the momentum of the gun increased on 1 & 2 eliminating that issue. My look point on 3 moved a bit to the left so I felt I have more time to get to those targets. Moved look point on 4 a bit to the left as well. If I have a problem target it has always been the little left angle on 4...I was kind of "poking" the gun at it instead of a smooth swing. 5 has posed no issues. I also use a sight blinder on the ribs of both my guns ( sometimes) to prevent the left eye from seeing the bead. (One of those stick-on types)

Hope this helps,

Bob

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

When I have trouble with left angles from 1, and 2, it has been my experience that I'm not seeing the target very well. Usually I have the barrel of the gun blocking the bird's exit from the traphouse. When you don't see the bird right away it gets a jump on me and then I have to play catch up. I have to remind myself to "see the bird" and focus on catching it when it leaves the house, and to do that I lower the gun so it is not blocking my vision to the bird.

Everybody is different though. LOL Sorry I'm not much help.

4. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

I'm 53 and I might need to get my prescription updated. My current prescription is about 2 1/2 years old.

Bob I used blinders about three to four years ago and it stopped me from bead checking. Maybe my eyes are getting lazy again and your suggestion might help eliminate the problem. Next trip to the gun club I will instal my blinder again to see if that helps.

Joe

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Run to the eye doctor first. Have him check your lenses when they come back from the lab to be sure they are correct. My wife's new glasses gave her headaches a couple of years back and the lab had made a mistake.

"I feel like my left eye takes over every now and then"

Had that as well. It's called cross-firing. In the end I needed new prescription eyeglasses which took a couple of tries. Finally my eye doctor over corrected my on-gun eye just a little. Was very productive. I also switched to a scope that put my on gun eye over the barrel enough for a clear view all the way down to the house. A high rib can give you most of that. I went further.

"...trying to keep my eyes out in the target break point area to prevent the possibility of bead checking."

Read a article by Todd Bender who said looking ahead of the target in the break zone actually causes cross-firing or the use of the wrong eye. I believe that is the case and find going right at the target more productive. Leads take care of themselves.

"I'm a little confused on how to correct the problem."

Yep, you've got it. Make changes now in order to fix. I tried dots, tape, blinder, but none worked very well except for what I've just described. Have finally moved my poi down some, yes down, and am getting better smoke than ever. I want to be able to go right at that target. Cross it and smoke it.

Good luck.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Don't rule out cross firing either.

7. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

There is a member at club that has a stronger prescription in his dominant eye and has had good luck with the results. I live in Metro Detroit,Michigan and would like to find an optometrist who is shooter.

Joe

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

As luck would have it, the guy at Sears Optical, in our town, is a rifle shooter. He has been helpful to me.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I went through left-angle-itis several years ago. If I got to a hard left before it crossed in front of me, it usually broke; if I got to it after it went in front of me, it usually didn't. I had Phil Kiner coming in for three days of clinics and he met me at a club where he had me stand on post one and shoot at targets with the trap oscillating so I wouldn't become programmed to lefts. After about 15 targets, he went into the clubhouse and returned with frosted tape, put some across my left lens and told me to leave it there this time. He had "taped" me at a previous clinic but I kept reducing the size of the tape to what I thought I needed. I thought wrong.

Long story short, you probably are cross-firing. Try shooting a few traps with your left eye closed and see if those lefts suddenly start breaking.

Ed

10. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

Ed,

I'll give that a try. Quick test to start with.

joe

11. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Here's a simple solution that works well for me - just swing your gun significantly faster on left hand targets. Don't change anything else. You'll be amazed at how much that moves your POI.

Ted K.

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Try holding lower on the corners than you normal hold point. Along with a little tape should help.

You might also try a little more lead than the front edge. From in front shot string will help but from behind nothing will help.

Don

13. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

I appreciate all the suggestion and now have a few things to work on. Thanks to everyone for your ideas. I now will start the proceed trying to correct the problem.

I watched Phil Kiner's tape early this morning and I know my problem is cross firing. I have felt my gun zig-zag on some shots and my left arm jerk on occasion too.

I had a PM from a trap shooter to check out Kiner's tape so I watched it 4:00 am this morning. This problem is causing me to go crazy. I think with every suggestions I can get back to dusting those left angle targets again.

Thanks again for all your help!

Joe

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Try putting on an eye patch over your left eye for awhile before shooting. Sometimes the right eye can be re-trained to focus on the bird again. It's a cheap fix when it works!!

15. jimsw

jimsw Member

It sure looks to me as though you are cross firing. Glad you are taking steps to correct it.

I had the problem and took 2 clinics with Phil Kiner. I went through all of his fixes and found an all black lens worked for me. I even closed my eye behind the black lens. I have now discovered the black lens trained my off eye to stop looking for the bird and even opening my eye. I am now able to use matte tape which is a lot more comfortable than the black lens, particularly while walking around.

Phil knows what he is talking about follow his advice.

16. mark936

mark936 Member

I'm having this problem now-- at club with machine set on left targets --going on forth box. :)

17. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

Jmheritage,

Check if you are not canting the gun from right to left,while you are chasing the bird!!you said:"I have felt my gun zig-zag on some shots and my left arm jerk on occasion too."
    Jerking the gun with your arms can be caused by bad stance too.

If you crossfire from right to left, you should encounter the same thing from left to right!

The easiest way is to "patch" one eye and shoot like a pirate! That is not the right solution in shooting, but is the salvation for many instructors.

Many don't need that tape and shoot with it their entire life, what a frustration!

Find out exactly what is your problem first and then,take conclusions and choose solutions.

18. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Along with checking on the cross-firing, make sure you aren't "arm swinging"
    at the lefts, as that will keep you from staying in the shot.

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Learn to read the trap machine, then you will only have rights and straightaways.HMB