1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing ejector safe to shoot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by newcastle, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newcastle

newcastle Member

Hi just wondering how safe it would be to shoot gun with out ejector in it so you could just pick spent shell out with fingernail.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wouldn't do it, You could blow the side of the base out.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

4. k80jim

k80jim Member

Many years back I seen a guy shooting a Win. 101 at station 1 Skeet. It was a night shoot. He was shooting .410. He shot the high and low. Pulled out the empties along with the extractor and did not notice it. He stuck the empties in his vest pulled two new .410 and dropped them it. The gun split at the receiver and cracked the forend. SO I WOULD NOT DO IT. If any of you remember South Coast Gun Club in Orange County Ca.

Jim

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Think about how much of the case the ejector actually supports. The shotgun hull is not strong at all. The brass or steel is paper thin.

NOPE!

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I knew a guy who shot a 686 w/ out an ejector for awhile. Didn't seem like a good idea then, and doesn't know. I know I wouldn't do it on my gun. Even ejectors for the most expensive competition guns don't cost enough to warrant risking a catastrophic failure.

BTW, if you still have all the pieces, it can most likely be tig welded and refit until a suitable replacement can be found (contact Paul Martin at Progun in Victor, NY if you can't find anyone else (585) 924-1733. He welded an ejector for a remington peerless for my dad in a pinch when he couldn't get a new ejector from remington quickly enough).

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A few thousanths of steel or brass and a 16th inch of plastic can not contain 10-12 thousand PSI.

shooting without an extractor is a Darwin application.

HM

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What halfmile said!

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

On guns similar to the K-80, Remington 3200, etc. you can disable the ejector hammers in the fore end. This will allow the gun to just lift the shell up when you open the gun and you can take the empties out with your fingers. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

missing ejector on gun