1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing bird!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ram2008, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ram2008

ram2008 TS Member

I need help!
    I'm missing the birds on the 16 yrd line, either due to my sighting the gun, or
    snap shooting, or spot shooting and, trying to cut the bird off. I have done more rifle/pistol shooting than any other types, so I tend to shoot with one eye, I think. I'm not "tracking" the bird out of the house it seems, and am having to catch up to it and more or less jerk the trigger before it gets away.
    Someone has said to blacken the front sight, or take it off and shoot without it. Will this help? I may hit 10 or 15 birds, but not many more than that! There has to be some solution here, because everyone else up there it hitting them! Where should I start? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...
    Richard

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Richard.. think COACH... A good one will greatly reduce your learning curve..

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Agree with PBB, find a coach or at least one of the top shooters at the club to help you.

Do you know where your pattern is hitting (Point of Impact) relative to the aim point at 16 yards? 32 yards?

With a shotgun you point it, you do NOT aim. Your focus should be on the target and not the front bead. If your dominate eye is looking down the barrel, shoot with both eyes open. This way you can hold 1 to 2 feet above the edge of the house and make a smaller move to the bird. Focus on the front edge of the bird, swing to the bird and shoot right at it to start with. You will learn when more lead is needed, usually only for the hard angles.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.