1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing 1/4 targets on posts 2 and 4

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Phil, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Phil

Aussie Phil TS Member

Hi all

I noticed something strange at the PITA shoot last week - all the targets I missed were 1/4 targets while on post's 2 and 4. i.e on post 2 it is the 1/4 right and on post 4 the 1/4 left I am missing.

I have *no idea* where I am going, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. If I had this fixed my 97/100 on the 16' line would have been a 100.

I'll setup the machine this weekend to throw these targets and see what happens. All I can think is that I should be treating these like straightaways, but my brain is leading them like an angle target...

Phil

2. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Slow down a bit. Make sure that you see the bird well and not jump as if it was a straight away bird.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Phil, though it may not assure the world's best breaks, you need no lead at all on that target; Just shoot at it.

If it doesn't break pretty well doing that, try shooting a little above and a little below, still right at it horizontally. Somewhere in there, you should get pretty good breaks and your problem will be, if not solved, at least handled.

Neil

4. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Phil the wind was blowing those targets up on the left and down on the right.If you were shooting your normal speed.SLOW down just a tad and smoke em. That's what Jason told me to tell you!!!LOL :-}PJ

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

When I do that I am getting on the target fast and it is still rising fast, so I tend to shoot under it, just like a straight on post 3. If I pause for just a second, I do not miss those easy birds. They are rising slower, and farther away, and the pellets are spread out a little more at that distance. Slowing down worked for me. Good Luck

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yah-ah. Ve been dere... In my case it is called a "cross-fire"

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is very easy to miss read a slight angle as a straight away. You need to see the target well without lifting your head. That is very easy to say but difficult to do every time.

Phil- You indicated that you intend to lock the trap to throw these angles and practice from posts 2 and 4. I have never thought this was a good idea. If you know the angle of the bird before it comes out, you will simply adjust for that angle. I would suggest shooting a lot of birds from 2 and 4 with the trap oscillating.

I don't practice as much as I should. But when I do, I am by myself and will shoot 20-35 birds from post one, then do the same thing from post five. Then I move back and shoot 20-40 handicap birds from post five. After that, I have lost my ability to concentrate on the birds, so close the club and go home.

Pat Ireland

Pat Ireland

8. powderburn

powderburn Member

6" to a foot lead at most. these should be easy. maybe your lifting your head? Getting anxious can lead to lifting your head.

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I spent a year with this issue until Nora Ross found my problem. I was trying to intercept the target by moving to it from underneath instead of catching up to it from behind. I was shooting behind most of them.

MK

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Phil, Pat's suggestion of leaving it moving is true. You could lock it for a box or two, trying to re-enforce memory/picture, finding the problem, then go back to your normal shooting on 2 and 4.

Good luck, Bob

11. Aussie Phil

Aussie Phil TS Member

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys - I am heading out to the range tomorrow and will see how things go.

I like the idea of just shooting a few rounds from posts 2 and 4 with the trap oscillating.

Phil

12. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I also agree to leave the trap oscilating and shoot an entire round from each of the trouble posts. Here is what works for me for 16 yard targets, mount the gun get set, lock the beads, without moving your head at all raise your eyes to look out over the trap house for a clear feild of view, call for target, only move to the target once you see it, don't move fast and jerky, just nice and smooth and visualize breaking the target as you pull the trigger. It takes a lot of concentration but with practice it becomes real easy. I can run 75's and the occasional 100 this way if I can keep my focus.

J.F.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- Excellent point. Each target must be tracked, not intercepted.
    Leading the target ? I never consciously lead any target. I just look at the target and the gun seems to know what lead it needs to hit the thing.

Pat Ireland

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If you've misread a slight angle as a straight away, chances are, you'll stop the gun swing and shoot behind that target. Trap is a game of inches, not feet. The better shooters know the correct angle before the clay has reached the 10 yard stake, some can read it directly out of the house. Then there's those that totally rely on gun momentum and do quite well too. The latter people know their best hold points and hardly ever stray very far from that hold, usually low on the house.

Hap

15. Aussie Phil

Aussie Phil TS Member

Hi guys

Thought I'd let you know that I worked out what was happening. I had one of the guys watch me at Livermore on Sunday, and the ones I miss I do a "zorro" i.e. I move the barrel one way, and then work out the target is the other way. Not sure why I was doing this, but we're trying out putting tape over my left lense, and that seems to be working well.

Anyone else have luck combating a "zorro" move.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.