1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Missed The Last One Out

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by colobiggun, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

My 17 year old daughter missed the last target out at Tucson today for a 99 in the singles. I told her that every great shooter I know has done this at one time or another, but she was still very disappointed. Any words of wisdom or encouragement I can pass on?

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I once missed the last bird (27 yards) off each house I shot. shot 24-24-24-24, and lost the event by one bird. It happens, if you shoot long enough.

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

It happened to me one time too.

The wind was blowing pretty good and that last bird really started going up just as I shot.

I'd still rather miss the last one rather than the 1st one.

She got 99 of them and that is a great accomplishment as far as I'm concerned.

Now she knows she can do it.

Good luck to her!

Hauxfan!

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yeah, just convince her it's not the last time it will happen either. I was never plagued with that dilemma but I did have one year where I got something like 8 or 9 - 99s posted and not one clean event....Bob Dodd

5. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Only 17 and already shooting that well. While it may be disappointing to her now, she needs to remember that there are many shooters who shoot their entire life and never get a 99. Just relax and treat each bird like it's the only bird being shot.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Words of wisdom? No.

Just remind her the game ain't over until all the targets have been thrown.

You can't take it for granted the last one will break just like the last 99 did.

You have to be just as focused on that one as you have been on the last 99.

7. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

Perfect opportunity for some bonding.....Get her a "99" Patch and make some fun out of it. That's like saying she was almost perfect. Like a 9.9 out of a 10.

If she continues, she will get the 100 sooner than later. She's almost there.

Jeff

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Thinking of it as "the last bird" is one of the things that causes so many of us to miss it; we look into the future rather than act in the present. It's 100 1-target events, not 1 100-target event.

Morgan

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

While unfortunate, if you shoot long enough its going to happen! It has for a good many of us.

That is still extremely good shooting and she should be proud of the accomplishment :) As others have stated "it really doesn't matter where the miss occured, its still a loss".

I would also recommend not highlighting the circumstance as the next time she is to that point, her thought process may pull_that_up and cause the situation to happen again.

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

When I first started to shoot trap, (many years ago), I had many 24's and missed several "last" targets. A fellow shooter said; "If you can hit 24 in a row, why can't you hit one in a row". The next time the opportunity presented itself, that is exactly what I thought about and hit my first 25. Recently I told this same thing to a new shooter. He hit his first 25 and said he remembered what I told him, before calling for his 25th target. That made my day! Ed

11. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

It also happened to me about 5 years ago at Valley Gun Club in Elysburg. The worst part was that there were three other 99’s in class A and I lost the shoot off. :(

Dale,

12. BAP

BAP TS Member

Tell her it will happen again. I've done it several times. The one that hurt the worst was missing the last one at the Georgia State shoot several years ago for a 199. A squad mate missed the last one for a 199 the year before and I as shooting the same post as he did on the same last field. You just have to shoot them one at a time. Bill Parson Jr.

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

It has happened to me a few times. You just shrug it off and go on. Remember if you shoot 99 every time it would give you a .99% average, and THAT is darn good shooting! A few years ago my wife dropped the last bird out for a 99 in Handicap. Like Bill said, you shoot EVERY target one at a time. Tell her conragts on a really good score. There are shooters who never shot 99 in their life, so she is way ahead of the game.

14. Hauser

Hauser Member

At last years Spring Grand we were shooting with a very good junior shooter, Kambra Brawner,who missed her last one out for a 199.

The advise she was given was; take 30 minutes for a pity party then set your disappointment aside and concentrate on the next event.

Jerry Hauser

15. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

A lot of us have missed our 100th target for a 99. Several years ago there had never been a 500 in singles in the PITA. A noted group of shooters, mostly several time all americans. After 499 targets straight the last person on post 5 missed his 100th. Total 499. No honors only several years of ribbing. It happens to all of us sooner or later. Tell the young lady if she wants advise I will give her the telephone number of the person that missed that 100th target. (He has managed several 200's, 100 handicap and 100 doubles, several times). He has won about every trophy available in Calif. and several at the Grand and other large shoots. - Jim

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I think I did that two or three times in one year. Never missed the 200'th but know some who have. I watched the late, great Frank Little do it at my club once. If you shoot long enough you'll find a way to do it too!!

17. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I did not coin the phrase, but it is sound advice..............."Bury that dead dog". It is still a good score, and she cannot dwell too long on that one miss.

I have never (yet) missed the 100th target for a straight, but it could happen to anyone. Sadly -- it is simply a lack of concentration and discipline on EVERY target.

I'm sure she will approach her next 100th target with more focus and determination. At age 17, she has got an awful lot of butt-kicking left in her.

And THAT is sad for the rest of us.............*smiles*

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Say nothing to her. She already knows. I have done it twice. The last time was at the 2007 Southern Zone. She should take her bumps and learn. If fact, the next time she goes out, ask her if she intends to hit the last target. She may frown with her mouth but smile in her mind. She is too old and too good to listen to you telling her how sorry you are.

It is odd that when we miss early and shoot a 99, we feel pretty good. But if we shoot a 99 and miss very late in the event, we feel very sorry for ourselves.

Pat Ireland

19. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

20. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Tell her it could be worse . . . I was on a squad at the Central Zone Shoot two years ago with a guy who missed #200.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

missed 100th target