1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MISSED SHOOTOFF AT GRAND

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

On handicap event #2, I shot a 97, a personal best for caps, which included my first 75 straight. I was jazzed to see my name on the leader board and took a picture like a geek rookie would (at least this one).

There were three 99's, nine 98's and ultimately seven 97's. Since I didn't play any money on the event, knew trophies were given only to the top seven places, and that purses had no more than 6 splits; I did not think I'd be included in any shoot off.

As such I gathered up my clan, made a cold refreshing adult beverage and headed out to the Charlie Daniels Band concert. Walking along to the CDB show to my horror I hear over the loudspeaker system something about a shoot off last call and my name. My heart skipped a beat; I looked at my lovely bride with panic, and then down at the Jack Daniels in my hand. I had screwed myself out of a chance to participate in my first ever shoot off. What a sad little story...

What I'm unsure of however is if I throw out the reason to participate for the sheer experience of it (very important), are there any other opportunities I threw away by not paying more attention?

I'm not quite sure on why they select so many for shoot offs--is it to mathematically cover all the possibilities for winners of monies and trophies? All sane and well-informed responses are welcome.

Guy Babin

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Know the feeling. At our state shoot a couple of years ago I posted a 97 in caps and figured I might just win a little something as it paid 6 places. The "war dept" and I hung around all day waiting for a possible shoot-off(missed going out to supper with friends) No shoot-off for me! My 97 placed 7th--LOL.

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

So how was the band? lol.

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

You were probably in a shoot off because they had trophies for every yard. Have to read the whole program.

Great shooting anyway. Plus, you still got some yardage from it.

John

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

tomk2, I had forgotten about the category spin offs... thanks for pointing that out.

blizzard, The CDB was great, we were very close to the stage. My 14 & 17 yr. old sons had never heard him before--they were impressed even though they are rockers.

Pat, Exactly the reason I didn't shoot... I was looking for insight on the whole shoot off process.

Thanks for the pats on the back from everyone and it was cool to get my first-ever hole punch and GAH stamp on my average card to the 21. It is ironic however that I planned all year to have my target minimum in place so as to shoot my yardage, only to get a punch the very first time I had the opportunity to shoot there. Maybe shooting penalty all year paid off after all!

The intent of my post was to learn how to figure for myself with some degree of certainty just what scores will be called to shoot off in any given caps event.

It appears that it may not be an absolute science/math process. Being a technical kind of guy I always look for a formula for solutions. The best answer I can come up with so far is if you shoot well, and your name ends up on the leader board, ya just gotta wait it out and see what develops.

Guy Babin

6. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Something about Shooter's responsibility, Lots of Category trophies at Grand.
    Need to double check. 97 is always a good score in handicap.No matter where you are shooting.

Joe Woods/Ontario

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Guy:

Sorry you missed your shoot-off. They're fun to watch, more fun to shoot, and a hoot to win.

Page 18 of the Grand program has the applicable warning language.

"Shooters are advised to note where special category shooters may have the high score/tie in class and in special category. It is possible that a score lower than what is broadcaset on video display terminals may be involved in a shoot-off."

And... as previously noted, one never knows when a shooter eligible for a shoot-off might fail to show up.

sissy

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

There may have been trophies for each individual yardage in Event 2, but the program doesn't mention that nor does RJStuart list any such winners on the Preliminary Days page. Of course, for the events where RJS does list individual yardage winners, the program makes no mention of the fact that these trophies existed (e.g., Event 26 - Parliment Coach Handicap).

I too like the additonal trophies that were being offered. I picked up one in the Doubles Championship. But in that case I was pretty certain that my 99 would be involved in a shoot-off.

But I'll agree that the approach to shoot-offs leaves a bit to be desired.

I was also, apparently, tied for AA HAA runner-up. But I never saw any listing of the HAA. It would seem to me that some time between the end of the Doubles Championship and 5pm that a listing of the HAA could have been posted. Maybe it was and I just missed it. I'll admit I was pretty well focused on my pending doubles shoot-off. Oh well, live and learn.

9. gr8shot

gr8shot Member

great shooting GB. congrats on the punch....

steve.

please don't call it a "hole punch"......LOL

that could leave a mark.

10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks for the terminology advice Steve, what a poor choice of words I made. My average card did suffer a traumatic event at the classification counter that fateful day--up to that point I had taken such good care of it. Oh well, I guess we can only be an un"mark"ed virgin once!

Guy

11. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I would like to express my admiration of your responsibility.1 drink and no shoot off.I am sure a lot of idiots would of downed that whiskey ran for his gun and gone to the shoot off.Good for you and sorry for your missed opportunity.

Darr

12. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

I did the same thing on Tuesday's handicap. I posted a 96, which happened to finally put me on the 27 yard line. I never dreamed that a 96 would make any shoot off. Apparently, after reading the program, they were giving a trophy for each yardage (19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27) Champion-Runnerup-3rd place. I did win 3rd place by default of some sort. I learned of the trophy when I saw the posting of trophy winners etc. I do however miss the experience of a shoot off at the Grand. GOTTA READ THE PROGRAM BETTER!

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Guy...CONGRATULATIONS!!! Woohoo...and you celebrated without us! We'll have to do it again... (but let's not repeat the missing-the-shootoff thingy). :)

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Be positive. Missing a shoot off with a 97 is much better than not qualifying for a shoot off with a 95. You shot well. You did not forget your 1 yard punch did you?

Pat Ireland

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

No sir Mr. Ireland, I was smart enough, thanks to learning from other threads here on the topic, to visit the classification desk before the next cap event.

Devi, No worries, we'll celebrate new accomplishments at the Westy to kick off shooting year 2008! Aline and I are looking forward to seeing you guys then. I'm sure you and Martin have some good Grand stories to share.

Guy

16. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

Excellent shooting, Guy!!! The Grand can be very intimidating for a first timer. You did the right thing and will be admired by other shooters for doing so. Let's tear them up at the Westy and at Millington for the Fall Handicap!!!

Dave Shaeffer, Sr.

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks Dave, I'll be looking forward to seeing you then. Although we've only been introduced once, I've watched you shoot many times, and have learned.

Congrats on your COC runner up, and the entire fantastic season you had!!!

Guy

18. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Hi, Guy!

This is Dave Jr.'s father posting here. I wish I could shoot like he does!! Maybe I taught him something right when he first started. See you at the shoots!!

Dave Shaeffer, Sr.

19. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Hi, Guy!

This is Dave Jr.'s father posting here. I wish I could shoot like he does!! Maybe I taught him something right when he first started. See you at the shoots!!

Dave Shaeffer, Sr.

20. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

quit shooting those "caps" and try some handicap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.