1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

misleading OBO offers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

I know probably being anal again.But,seeing so many Listings wheather guns or accessories being offered at a price OR OBO is quite misleading isn't it? I mean if someone offers a price and it's not exceeded by someone else,wouldn't it be fair they get the product.I feel listing something when you have a minimum you'd take you shouldn't put OBO in the post.

Just reasoning things out here.Need to shoot soon I guess,must be getting bored.

Doug H.

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I agree. How about this: OBOIHE. (Or Best Offer If High Enough.)

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

A sale is 2 parties comming together for a mutual transaction.. There is $XXXX firm.. which mean.. that's the price.. But $XXXX OBO means..maybe a little less.. or maybe a trade.. or maybe $XXX down and I'll pay you the rest by so and so day.. It leaves room for some people to start a conversation and maybe come to terms...

I sell a few things here and there.. and once in a while part a gun out.. While I always perfer money..the right swap.. or barrel.. or cat4 forend iron... maybe receiver.. Perazzi parts.. I'm always at least willing to hear what the buyer might want to do..

All Good.. Mike

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

OBO means squat....you are going to have potential buyers send their "best offer" to buy the item anyway so why bother with putting a OBO in the ad in the first place

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Mike's right, all obo means is the person might be open to different options.

Ajax

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Over the years. I've bought many things..OBO.. which wound up being..I'll pay you $1000 now.. and the balance of your asking price in no more than 45 days..In that case.. the offer had nothing to do with the price..it had to do with the terms..

You'd be amazed at the number of people who send me things to sell..or keep..with the "deal" including time to sell it before paying them..I never take advantage of their kindness...but it goes a long way in selling..

OBO does not mean YOUR best offer..if it is not enough will buy it anyway..

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    OBO means if several people want to dicker, the one with the highest "bid", which is exactly what it is - bidding - gets the item. This is supposed to encourage people not to make low ball offers.

If there is a concrete price minimum and the seller doesn't want to announce it, then perhaps "$XXX OBO above reserve".

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I hate OBO's....name your price...either I'm interested or I'm not...without the BS...

9. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

What is the BS, if you are not interested do not make an offer, Simple move on, no BS.

If I have interest in an item but I am not willing to pay the advertized price I always make an offer. All the seller needs to say is “No thank you” or make a counter offer. If we are unable to come to an agreement it just means we do not agree on its value. Value is just like beauty "It is in the eye of the beholder".

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

OBO is really Or Best Acceptable Offer. Two very different things.

11. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

What about "BRO", bro? Does that mean that the best offer is reasonable or does it mean to make your best offer reasonable?

12. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

It means your best offer better be reasonable, not ridiculous low balling.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I always put OBO in the listing to piss people off more so anything else ... I list something for $1700.00 OBO and someone says, whats your best price, I tell them $1700.00 but whats your highest offer, if they make one and I accept it thats the where the OBO comes in ... No body expects to pay full price but sometimes if the gun or what ever is listed at a low price anyway, thats what they have to pay and there is no OBO involved ... WPT ... (YAC) ...OBO ...

14. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

I always thought OBO meant, OR BETTER OFFER!!!

Tomas

15. Sock Eating Golden

Sock Eating Golden TS Member

So say someone lists something at $1000 OBO. I being the smart a$$ I am offer my best offer at $5. If no one else is interested do I get a $1000 item for $5? I should hope not. It's a sale not a no-reserve auction.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You would only get it if it was an auction with no reserve if they were asking $1000 and you offer $5 ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Sock Eating Golden

Sock Eating Golden TS Member

Ya that was my point. I missed a comma in the last sentence.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I sold two guns over the week end, had people makes offers but had an offer that was more than theirs was and they were gone ... I do not keep calling and giving people chances to up their offer once they make one, it goes to the best highest offer closest to my asking price ... Money talks and Bullshit walks ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.