1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Misleading BAD weather forecasts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bueno, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Bueno

Bueno Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Being semi-retired, periodic shooting, is not only recreational, but also necessary as a required outdoor exercise.
    Lately the local weather has forecasted 100% chances of torrential rains, over 12 days already, which makes outdoor shooting unattractive, with added exposure to colds, lightning, and equipment rust.
    The problem is that generic weather predictions, do not pinpoint the weather patterns, but do so in very general terms. The forecast maybe rain in the general area, but the rain clouds may not pour directly on top of your club.
    So what I discovered yesterday, while finally deciding to go shoot, even if raining, at my chosen club, that even if rain was predicted for the general area, it had not been raining at my club all this week, and if so only sporadically and briefly. Boy was I mad for missing all that shooting.
    So what is the best course of action, to get a pretty accurate weather outlook?
    Go to this web site: http://www.wunderground.com/ and put in the zip code of your club. Then go to "wundermaps" which show a radar animation of the direction of rain clouds, and input the hours that you will be shooting.
    The animation would reveal the probability of the direction and transit, of the rain clouds with pretty accurate results!
  2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Bueno, Certainly can identify with what you are saying. I have stayed home many times only to find out after the fact that the forecast for storms never materialized. Thanks for posting the website info to go to.
  3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Blackshear, Georgia
    Thanks for the info. I have learned that the summer thunderstorms often just go right around us while shooting. I can get gone in a hurry though if it starts lightning. Jackie B.
  4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

May 27, 2007
    I log on to the Weather Channel and click on the moving map. Make sure RADAR is enabled. You can predict if you're going to get rain where you shoot and roughly when.
  5. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Don't ever, ever, EVER let the weatherman plan your weekend for you.
  6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Fairfield PA
    Don't you understand that they're selling a product? The provided link has the exact information those people use. Locate your area of interest on the map, click on it, and decide for yourself.

best.... mike
  7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    The old adage--- If you make the SAME everyday 365 days a year-- temp. + or- 3 degrees and a 20% chance of rain, you will be right about 70% of the time. Also the old adage there isn't a weatherman in heaven. Ross Puls
  8. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Its the only job you can be wrong over 50% of the time and still get a weekly pay check.
  9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
    Lately they've unfortunately been fairly accurate here (except for how much rain Calgary and area were to get before the flood),...they say "severe thunderstorm warning" ,it usually comes true....like last night with crops around me getting hammered with hail and 2 nights ago at least a foot of hail 30 miles east....glad I wasn't out on a golf course or driving a tractor without a cab. As it is, it dented the side of my 5th wheel and my pals trailer pretty good and busted the roof vents...#@$#@$@#$. Enough with the wild weather, already!

Ron Burr

Lethbridge, Alberta
  10. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Looks like temps in the low 80's for the upcoming Konne-Yaut shoot at the Ruffsdale GC in PA....

I hope they are correct and very little chance of rain all 5 days.....

11. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Living in Florida you learn to read a Radar screen and understand the positions of the highs and lows relative to your location. It ain't rocket science.

Plus know that this time of year you can get a shower anytime anywhere after 2PM.