1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Misfires

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmunsell, Aug 30, 2013.

1. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

I have been having misfires with my BT99 Plus so I took it in to the gunsmith, which has been in the business for a long time and I'm not in the least saying he's incompetent, and he said it was really dirty so he cleaned it up and installed a new spring and that was about a month ago but now I once again have had 2 misfires in the last 200 rounds and I take that very same shell and put it in any other gun and it fires fine. I use fiochii primers, clays powder and AA hull's. The bottom is nice and flat not concave at all. Any ideas?

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

First cock gun-then remove barrel and forend assembly. Place empty shell on breech face faced upward and pull trigger. If the empty travels around 3' in the air look at changing primers. If it doesn't go back to the gunsmith and tell him to change the hammer spring again!!

3. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Might want to have him check the depth of the firing pin penetration...

Should be at least .055" if memory serves me correctly

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If it worked fine after you got it back from the gunsmith then he probably did what he said. Depending on how much you are shooting, it is possible you have once again gotten some debries in the firing pin hole. A shot of one of the CLPs in the firing pin passage might clean things up and get the gun firing more reliably. Also if you have had any blown or pierced primers there could actually be a little bit of metal in there causing problems.

I don't know if you feel up to the task but it would be worth your time to learn how to disassemble the receiver and do your own pm and parts replacement work. Really isn't as difficult as you might think and it saves a lot of time and $ over dealing with a gunsmith.

5. jmunsell

From what I read the BT's are one of the more difficult to tear down especially getting the firing pin out. He's a good guy he said to bring it in and we will take a look at it. I'm sure he did the work I'm not concerned about that. On the ones that are misfiring all you can see is a very small dent on the primer. Try 2 or even 3 times and it doesn't fire but put it in my sons bt99 and it fire right off. Put one in an old 3200 and it fired right off.

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Also, after the first misfire try and put the shell back in and see if it fires. If it does the primer may not have been set in enough. The first strike set it so it fires the second time.

Jason

7. jmunsell

The misfire I had last night I tried 3 times and it wouldn't fire but I put it in my son's bt99 and it fired first thing.

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

jmunsell , you are right about the firing pin. Your gunsmith likely didnt mess with it. I have never had mine out but then it turns primers inside out. If the problem persists I would be taking out the firing pin and having a look see. Your gunsmith will need the special tool.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

How are these guns cocked? You might suggest to him that he look for a drag in some part of the cocking mechanism, a sticky cocking-rod, that sort of thing.

I have an MX-8 which did this and had been to several repairpersons with no luck. Pat Gottberg suggested I check the free-travel of the cocking rod. That done, cleaned & straightened there's been no trace of a problem though it was doing just what is described here.

Neil

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I had a customer with a BT that I completely overhauled...locking bolt, tighten action, new springs. Not long after he received the gun back he was getting misfires, 1-2 every hundred, and then gradually worse. I had him send it back and I removed the hammer spring. It had shortened by 4-5 coils. This was a factory new spring. I replaced the spring and spoke with him this week. He said all is fine. He's had it for over a month now.

I suppose the possibility always exists that this spring missed an operation during the heat-treat process.

As for your BT, as common as the misfires are, I'd bet the firing pin return spring is broken, if the mainspring has been replaced. Yes, it takes a special tool to remove the bushing and they can be a bear sometimes.

Doug

11. jmunsell

Took it back to gunsmith he looked it all over and nothing was broke, nothing was dirty, he suggested to switch to a different primer as another suggested here. If I correct it may have started with the use of Fiochii primers.

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I always us CCI primers. They have been good with me. I did use I think Fed one time and had some misfires. Win and Rem primers have also worked well with me. Remington STS Green Hulls are what I'm using.

Change primers. Check your hulls to make sure they are not setting the prime to far. I have had some primers fall out of the hull once the hull was reloaded. That is rare but it did happen. See if your loader isn't seating the primer to far in the hull. BT99 has to be kept clean.

13. jmunsell

Using Fiochii now I know I will have to use different hulls and I have a large amount of gun clubs so I will try those with whatever I can find for primers. Primers are hard to find as well as powder here.

14. jmunsell

oleolliedawg: I tried what you said and the shell went about 5 foot in the air. Wizzedd right by my face, lol.

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Only time I had misfires with Fiocci, Winchester and Remington 209P primers were caused by not setting the primer fully, the firing pin would move the primer forward and I would thus rotate the shell 180 degrees and it would then fire. This was caused by the inconsistencies with the internal base wad although case was from the same manufacturer. I readjusted my MEC loader to set the primer deeper and the problem went away. In addition, I use a pin oiler and place a little drop of locksmith graphite oil in the firing pin hole. I use also a BT99 that probably has at least 25k shells fired since it was new. If you do change the firing pin you'll need a three prong tool as it's serviced from the business end of the monobloc. BT100dc

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

jmunsell, so it's the primers. I just had a similar problem with another customer and Fiochi!!

17. jmunsell

That's what I'm thinking and others think her and my gunsmith has seen this also with many different primers in different guns. I never had problems with ched's.

18. ricm51

ricm51 TS Member

I had the same problem with my Citori XT after only 2500 rounds.The lower pin was just barely touching the primer
    I replaced spring and pin with factory replacements and again after 1000rds same problem.I talked to a browning repair tech and was told about a new pin that was 0.20 longer that would cure this problem, also I called Wolff springs and installed both the pin from Browning and the more power spring from Wolff and have not had a single misfire since, approx.3500 so far.
    Hope this helps. Rick

19. jmunsell

Is there such a pin for the BT99 that is longer?

20. jmunsell

could hull's play a part in this?

Search tags for this page

misfires

wolfram gunsmith