1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Misfires from my Browning XT Combo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by arjay, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arjay

arjay TS Member

I am getting 3 to 4 misfires out of 100 rounds from the unsingle barrel of my Browning XT Combo. I suspect the springs and or firing pins could use replacement. I purchased the gun used and it is in great shape and very accurate in my hands.

I need to purchase the items to install and am requesting advice regarding what is needed and where to go to purchase. Also, are there aftermarket replacement parts that offer better performance or value than the standard Browning parts?

Thanks,

Robert

2. racer

racer TS Member

Try taking out the pin and cleaning the pin bore with a Q tip. Dirt packs into the hole and keeps the pin from sticking out all the way. No pins or springs in my XT in 7 years. Your mileage may vary.... Dan

3. creek

creek Member

The original lower pin on many Browning XT's are .20 shorter than the replacement pin. Once you replace the lower pin with one from Brownells your misfires will end.

CREEK

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Bottom barrel misfires on Citoris are common. Clean the channel and replace the springs and pin as long as you have it apart.

Jim's springs are the best, use tigman's link.

HM

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Assuming that you're getting misfires from factory loads and not reloads...

Put in a new firing pin from Browning (they charge less than anyone else and you'll get new stock). Clean the pin bore when you do it. Wipe the new pin with an oiled patch (that's enough lube) and don't spray the receiver face with anything when you clean it.

You don't need gorilla springs; the factory springs are fine. Replace them when you clean the action. My gunsmith and I are convinced that heavy aftermarket springs cost me a receiver on a three year old XT. If the factory thought that heavy springs were necessary they would make them available.

MK

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Unknown1, please give some details about what happened to the 3 year old XT. I have always read and heard, that one should replace with stronger, springs, etc...

I was thinking of replacing some springs on a shotgun of mine and some others.

Now you have me thinking twice.

7. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

The link above will take you to an article on how to remove your Browning firing pins to clean and inspect them. It is located on shotgunworld.com.

I have found that the lower firing pin cavity gets plugged up much more than the upper one, probably due to it having a spring holding the firing pin back. The upper firing pin does not have a spring.

I also purchased a used XT unsingle combo. I have only had to clean up the firing pins/cavity once. I replaced the firing pins with new ones from Brownells at that time. I have not had any misfires in the last two years of shooting since the replacement.

BTW, I always spray the face of the receiver with G96 every time I clean my Browning's. I have not had any ill effects from doing this. I guess it makes the residue in the cavity wet and mushy vrs dry and hard packed.

Best of luck! Bob

Bob

8. Unknown1

<blockquote>"I always spray the face of the receiver with G96 every time I clean my Browning's. I have not had any ill effects from doing this. I guess it makes the residue in the cavity wet and mushy vrs dry and hard packed."</blockquote>Actually, what it does is force residue into the pin bore that wouldn't have gotten in there otherwise.

MK

9. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Robert, I had the same problem with a NEW XT combo,,,cleaning, new springs/pins
    had no effect. Replaced the spring with a VERY heavy (from gun smith) one, the reciever then broke. The gunsmith sent it back to Browning, who replaced the gun. The new XT was OK for about 3,000 rounds, then it started the same FTF (failure to fire) problems. I sent it to Browning and they repaired it,,,curing the problem. I sold it at about 5,000 rounds, having no more problems up to that time. Browning or a good gunsmith is the answer.
    Norman

10. okiefarmer

okiefarmer Member

I took mine to the Grand and to the Browning site. They asked me if I was shooting reloads. When I answered yes, they said "that is the problem". I asked if that was their remedy and they answered yes. I sold it a week later, problem solved.

11. Unknown1

<blockquote>"They asked me if I was shooting reloads. When I answered yes, they said "that is the problem"."</blockquote>It's a shame they brushed you off like that but there is some validity to their answer. Having discussed this same matter with a couple of armorers they've pointed out that hand reloads can misfire if the primers are set either too deep or too shallow.

If the primers are too deep, obviously the firing pin can't travel far enough to hit the primer cup hard enough to ignite the primer.

If the primers are too shallow and stand proud of the base by too much the firing pin can actually waste energy pushing the primer into the base and the resulting dimple in the primer cup looks like a light strike.

I've found that the stock Browning under barrel firing pins are actually long enough to withstand a couple of polishings to remove pits caused by punching holes in a couple brands of primers. The one in my main gun now has been polished twice and is about .015" shorter than it was when it was new and it still works perfectly with a stock spring and either reloads of factory shells.

MK

12. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

Was thru all of this and have the longer pin extra power spring everything, still had trouble,switched from chedite to winchester have not had a problem in 10,000. chedite to hard. Could probobally take the pin and spring out,but it is not piercing primers and the spring only had 1 extra coil. Before everybody gets all fired up and says chedite ok, i'll tell you that I used@ 50,000 of them in a bt with no trouble. XT bottom barrel and chedite just a bad combo. When you look at the way that bottom hammer hits, it just plain aint gonna hit as hard as the top.

13. okiefarmer

okiefarmer Member

I understand all about the deep seated primers. My problem was with flat faced primers like Nobel. The problem I had was that the person on my left shoots a Perazzi and the person on my right shoots a Krieghoff (we shoot the same squad at nearly every shoot)I could hand either of them my misfire and they would shoot the next target like nothing ever happened. We did it so many times they didn't even think about it. I had new pins put in the first time with no help. Less than a thousand rounds later, I had new pins and springs, still no help. Right after was when I took it to Browning at the grand. A new DT 10 was the cure.

14. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

My experiences with my XT were simply the fact that the bottom firing pin cavity became clogged with residue after about 3,000 rounds. After that, I would just clean this area per the Shotgunworld posting about every 2500 rounds. No further problems.

bluedsteel

15. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

My experiences with my XT were simply the fact that the bottom firing pin cavity became clogged with residue after about 3,000 rounds. After that, I would just clean this area per the Shotgunworld posting about every 2500 rounds. No further problems.

bluedsteel

I agree

16. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

I also had this problem with mine. I replaced the springs and firing pin. The problem resurfaced 4 months afterwards. The problem was just the gun was getting dirty.

I didn't actually do the entire routine from shotgunworld.com but just took off the stock once a month and used something like Gunscrubber to get rid of the dirt and grime and my problem went away. It took about 5 minutes once a month and the gun never misfired after that.

17. arjay

arjay TS Member

Thanks to everyone for all the responses. I have checked this site several times a week for the last two years or so since I began trapshooting and have learned more than I can describe.

Since this is my competition trap gun I will be ordering a set of replacement parts from J&P to install and will also clean the receiver and firing pin locations. Should I keep the old parts for spares? I'll check the lengths of the pins to confirm if they are the same as the new ones. J&P apparently makes the lower pin longer.

Thanks again,

Robert

18. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Robert, the XT is a good gun,,,I have shoot with some that have had no promlems
    with theirs. I was shooting re-loads, with win. primers, tried rem., and fio,,,then I tried new shells of different brands,,only the Browning/gunsmith was the fix.
    Norman

19. Unknown1

Ya pays yer money and ya makes yer choice...

Don't keep the stock parts; you already decided that the Browning factory doesn't know what it's doing.

MK

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Could someone inform me on just what this cleaning is!!! I have not seen this info on the other website. I do have a browning and would like to know. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

factory or aftermarket pins for browning xt