1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Miramar/San Diego Closing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fssberson, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Just read that Miramar must cease all shooting. The Marines are not playing nice. So it is time that Miramar Gun Club return the favor and request of the various environmental and gov't. agencies a COMPLETE enviornmental study of the entire base. CLOSE EVERYTHING DOWN. I am sure that there is enough jet fuel leakage, munitions loss, exhaust and nose polution from the planes over the last 30+ years from the Navy and Marines to get them to look at their own operations first and not pick on a phony lead contamination issue. From day one when the Marines took over they have been trying to move out Miramar... San Diego has nothing to lose now. Fred

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Yes... Miramar is currently closed but the club is fighting. Suggest you go to their website for the latest information.

What happened here should be a lesson to all gun clubs. Every clubs should have a lead abatement plan. Miramar did not have one. If they had done the planning they could have seen this problem coming. They now have a plan but it like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. If your club does not have a plan I strongly urge that they do the study and get one. Its the first line of defense in situations such as this.

TB

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I just did go to their latest writing on their website [see CGSTA web]. They have been ordered to cease all shooting. I was aware that they closed months ago, but the Marines seem to have issued FURTHER orders. The Marines are being bullies and need to be a little more user friendly to the people paying for their toys. Fred

4. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Mr Baber there is far more than an environmental impact study that is the problem. The Marine Corps does not want civilian organizations upon there bases and will do almost anything to force/make them leave.

Contact all that you desire but you need to really contact the person above. He has ultimate control of all Navy installations and he is a shotgun shooter.

The Corps wants to see them gone and unfortunately there will most likely never be another shell shot off the ranges at San Diego Shotgun Sports unless there is some very serious money is spent by the club to only prolong the inevitable but I do wish them luck, they do need it.

5. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Who is the congressman for that area? If he/she is friendly to shooters, you may try barking up that tree... If not, don't give up. Senators Baucus and Tester in Montana almost singlehandedly reversed the Defense Department's ban on surplus military brass, so if you could get somebody in power on your side and lots of people balk, maybe there's a chance this policy could be reversed. Apathy is our enemy.

Jennifer

Idaho State Coordinator

Second Amendment Sisters

6. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

I can't believe that the Marines have turned anti-clays shooting sports! Or has the Club dropped the ball here?

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I remember when the Marines moved in, they wanted the gun club out then. Then club made plans to move to a different location. Then I moved away and never heard what happened to those plans. So, what happened? As I recall the funds and location was there to do move.

8. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

I traveled to San Diego a month ago and found a "Closed for Shooting" sign on the gate; however, the gate was half open so I ventured in. The Club has become a social gathering place for displaced shooters. They are working with their congressman to get the club reopened. There will be a change of command this month and that seems to be their last hope of reopening one of So Cals nicest venues for clay target shooting.

I wish them success. Since the closing of SDSSA (~8 months ago) there hasn't been a registered target thrown in San Diego County.

For those who fly into So Cal - if you can fly into Ontario airport, there is a very nice trap range in Redlands. The problem is you will have a 2.5 hour drive to San Diego. There is also a very small range in San Clemente (one trap field and one skeet field). Nice people there but they are only open on Sundays. I've found that range to be a much easier drive than Redlands but the one trap field is a major limitation.

Best wishes to the San Diego clay target community.

Regards,

Chip

9. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Best wishes to them for sure but even with a new Commanding Officer they will probably never throw another target on those ranges.

If they own the equipment they should be looking for if they have not already found a new location.

Good luck San Diego ... you need it.

10. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Stu,

We are talking about California -- there will never be another clay target facility built. If SDSSA closes its doors that will be it. Oh, I suppose there is always a chance that one of the Indian tribes will build a range but slot machines have a much better ROI.

Chip

11. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Just as thought of reality to consider.

Currently there is no shooting and SDSS is not really even on the Commanding Officers plate but instead most likely on the plate of MCSS and base legal since they are most likely the go betweens of the base and SDSS.

Now the new Commanding Officer takes over and you think he will actually add things to his plate? Nope he will go with the recommendations of those under him and things will stay as there are right now.

The Marine Corps does not really want civilian organizations on there bases, they will put up with some but most they will run off. Currently with no lease or license agreement they are lucky they can even open the gate and sit in the clubhouse. Sorry and I wish them the very best but honestly I dont think another shot will ever be fired on those ranges ... at least not by SDSS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.