1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

minor corrosion/rust in BT-99 barrel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hardRT, Jun 28, 2013.

1. hardRT

hardRT Member

I just noticed some minor etching or rust starting in my BT barrel. I have always shot on blue bird days and swab out my barrel every now again with one of those furry rods in a tube. I've owned the gun since the early 80's with never a problem. I did shoot the other day in a high fog/high humidity (it burned off by noon) I suppose that's what induce a little moisture in the form of condensation. I'm considering purchasing a Brush Research flex hone (400 and 800 grit) and polish it before the barrel gets worse. I am understanding once you get a little corrosion it can really escalate. I tried cleaning with Remington bore cleaner with a bore mop on drill and really did not make much headway. The corrosion is about 8 inches from the chamber extending about another 10 inches up the bore. Does anyone have any experience with Brush Research flex hones? Are their any draw backs? Any sage wisdom appreciated.
    Thanks, Pat

2. hardRT

hardRT Member

Thanks Frank C. I first thought it was plastic fouling. I corked the end of barrel and soaked it overnight with Shooter's Choice Solvent. I didn't do anything then hit with a brush. The corrosion does not appear deep but it's on the sides of barrels to stay.
    Pat

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Not the only BT99 with that affliction.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Older browning steel was horrible for that- newer much better

Hones are a funny thing- you really do have to know what you are doing and despite a claim of self centering- stuff does go wrong

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use a wooly snap-cap (Heaven forbid) with minimal oil at the end of the day... let me once reaffirm - not to release spring tension, but only as a storage device... started using with my Superposed and an older BT99, since then in all my guns...

Jay

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I would not recommend using a hone on your barrel unless your a professional. Over the years, I have owned numerous Browning shotguns and sadly although I consider them great guns, their metal is suspect in regards to rusting inside their barrels at times.

My personal experience has been to take it to a qualified gunsmith and see what he recommends.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Steel wool on a 3/8 dowell rod chucked in your 3/8 drill worked for me. Oil bore lightly after every use.

Clyde

8. cpthook

cpthook Member

I use a 20 gauge brush and cut a small( 1 1/2" ) square piece of fine
    scotchbrite , place it over the end of the brush and spray with Sheath,
    then swab the bbl. Works for me.
    Jim

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

"and swab out my barrel every now again "

That is usually the story. People clean their barrels once or twice a year and are surprised that metal rusts. Adding a little oil really helps . I shoot my BT year round. Half the bluing is gone and have never had any rust. I never mess with a nasty wooly snap cap. It really doesn't take much effort to prevent rust.

I know some who have had the same BT for 25 years and have never removed the stock. Try to imagine the surprise waiting inside the receiver. They keep those guns in a slip, the neglected things are never disassembled. I have heard guns squeak when they are opened and closed.

10. ring3

ring3 Member

A BT I once owned had some pitting in the chamber. Quite a few past and present owners of BTs also told me they are prone to rust if not kept clean/oiled.

Right or wrong I put a tuft of 0000 steel wool on a bronze brush and using a drill and Ed's Red removed the rust and grime. I no longer have the gun but see it often and it's still going strong.

Still use the drill on my choke tubes to quickly remove plastic build up.

Rob

11. Straight50

Straight50 Member

The steel wool on a bronze brush chucked in a drill works! If the corrosion is stubborn and will not come out with oil/solvent etc, try adding some toothpaste to the steel wool and spin that for 20/30 seconds. Usually works unless the metal has started to pit.

12. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

Here you go. I use it on a rod in a drill, soaked with KleenBore Formula 3. And after each cleaning, spray Eezox down the bore followed by a patch.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Just shoot it.

14. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

THE RUST IN MINE SEPARATES THE WAD FROM THE SHOT IMPROVING PATTERN IF I CLEAN IT MY AVERAGE DROPS LIKE A LEAD SINKER

Search tags for this page

minor bore rust