1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Minnesota...No Universal Background Checks

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GunDr, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Rep. Michael Paymar, DFL-St. Paul, said he scrapped his bill to require background checks for all gun sales in the state in order to pass something out of the House Public Safety Committee, which he chairs. He said the trimmed-down bill, addressing only sales at gun shows, was “a huge piece of the puzzle” in addressing gun violence in Minnesota. The bill also includes provisions to improve the information the state sends to a national background check database and helps county attorneys crack down on illegal gun owners

The measure is a compromise between Paymar and Rep. Debra Hilstrom, a fellow Democrat from Brooklyn Center who introduced a bill in early March that would improve — but not expand — the state’s current system.

The National Rifle Association built up support for that alternate bill, which would require the state to send mental health commitment information to the national database of people who can’t legally own a gun and to send all information to that database faster. It would also add to the parameters of what would disqualify someone from legally owning a gun and increase penalties for so-called straw purchases in which an eligible person buys a weapon for someone who legally cannot.

PS-I do not know if the gun show background checks are included in this compromise. There is talk that at the least, someone would need to show their handgun carry card (concealed carry), or their permit to purchase(free from sheriff's office) to the seller before taking possession of a handgun or AR15 type of firearm.

The assault weapon and hi-cap mag bans have been dropped.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/03/21/house-panel-passes-background-checks-at-gun-shows/

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The only thing stopping the mentally ill from getting guns has been the political correct crowd. The info is out there, just no fed pressure to add it to NICS B/G checks.

The big test is whether congress passes universal B/G checks. Prob not. (I hope)

But wathc for the gilded pen of Exec Order.

Jack

3. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

According to the govt HIPPA laws a DR cannot release any information on a patient. So enlighten me how a mentally unstable person is going to get reported to another govt agency.

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the HIPPA laws come into play. Wouldn't anyone that has been found incompetent through a court of law be public knowledge anyway?

I'm sure that "due process" would need to be observed before anyone could be stated as not mentally fit. Having an MD or head-shrink making a note in the patience record and then passing that info to the necessary law enforcement could be seen as violating the HIPPA law.

Maybe Obama will eliminate the HIPPA law by executive order also??

5. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Information gets reported, trust me.

I have Liver disease. I went into catastrophic liver failure. The first step in the translant evaluation is a 6 hour counseling session.

Four days after I got out of the hospital I received a letter from the Illinois State Police informing me my FOID card had been revoked, and it was illegal for me to possess firearms or ammunition due to "Mental Health Issues".

I have never been seen by a doctor for any "mental" issues, ever. This mandatory organ transplant counseling session made me unfit to posess a firearm in Illinois. It was a mountain of red tape and a 19 month ordeal to get the FOID card back.

6. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why don't they just outlaw murder?

That seems to have worked real well so far. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.