1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MINNESOTA HANDICAP CHAMPION 100x100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalamitySJ, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Alex is a deserving, humble and polite young man who treats everyone with respect and competes like a demon! Such a great kid. His coach, Scott Berning, is a great coach, runs a solid program and his shooters results show it.

Congratulations, Alex! Here's a picture of him taken last year when he ran 225+ birds straight for his first time ever, but certainly not his last.

CSJ

[​IMG]

2. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Fantastic shooting Alex. We knew you could do and have witness your prowess before. You have natural born talent and will go far my friend. I hope we get the chance to go nose to nose someday. Hope to see you in Monticello youth shoot on the 25th and St. Michael Sunday the 26th. I will polish your future trophies again tonight! Good shooting, go get em!

Mark Stevens
    aka: Coach

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

[​IMG]

Alex as he appears now. Nice young man. fun to have on a squad.

4. JACK

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

This kid ran 225 straight and all ya'll gave him was a leather belt buckle and a patch? No wonder he competes like a demon he's probably still mad about the cheesy trophies he received. Hope he continues to whoop up on all of you. LOL.
    Really great shooting Alex.

Guys pass the hat and buy some real trophies for that young man.

6. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Are you serious? Do you really think there is ANY trophy out there that can adequately reward any shooter for an experience like running 225? Or Coach's 376 straight at the State Shoot? Or a new shooter reaching that first 25? Or being on a squad that runs 125 together? Are trophies all that get you out on the line because that sounds pretty damn 'cheesy' as you put it?

It's the experience that counts more than any trophy. Trophies collect dust, memories don't. And as friends of this young remarkable man he'll never forget that day, and neither will we.

7. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

Congrats Alex!
    Calamity, you post about someone complaining about trophies, saying that trophies collect dust.. that is true but a trophy that sits on the mantle collecting dust and even if the dust is caked on like icing on a cake, it will bring back a memory or two. a good trophy is a good memory.

Chris Gerber

8. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Chris,

I'm not discounting the trophy--in fact, I do love a good trophy. I just take exception to the criticism given regarding the trophy itself, as it's a custom Shamrock Leather and not the intention of the post--it's the accomplishment Alex had.

Sorry about the keyboard flinch too, didn't know it happened until I saw your post but fixed it.

Sally Stevens

9. daddiooo

Chris,

Thank you for clarifying my intended point on the trophies. Apparently CSJ missed the LOL part. It was a truly special accomplishment. The trophy should reflect that. What he received for his hard work falls a little short in my opinion. My comment wasn't intended to lessen Alex's great work. Maybe Calamity will win a nice patch some day too.

It's all good,
    Dave

10. daddiooo

My apologies to both of you. Still my opinion.

Dave

11. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

How about this, a happy ending to a thread? Is it even possible on ts? hahaha!

Alex and his team are raising funds to go to Sparta this year. If there's anyone that needs to be there, it's Alex! In lieu of another trophy I'll personally send a donation over to his coach to help with expenses. It's a win/win, eh?

Just nobody complain when he beats y'all when he's down there. And Alex? We'll expect pictures!

Sal

12. JACK

Sally. In the pic I posted of Alex (taken about a month ago at Metro) he was shooting his custom BT100. Has he changed guns?

Jack

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Would he be any relationship to John of the same last name who won the GAH in 1974 at Vandalia? Lke a grandson, perhaps.

Great shooting young man!

John was from MN as I remember and tied with the high score of 98x100 then won the shoot-offs. I watched him and believe he did it with a Model 12 TRAP.

Whiz

14. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Jack,

Not to my knowledge. Same gun, same grin, same incredible scores. I'll see him this weekend at the mini-Grand youth shoots in Monti & St. Michael (his home club) and will take a look-see.

Sal

15. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Hey Daddio,

Just a heads up. Those two, patches and buckle were given by the sponsoring gun club that agreed to hold the second round of MN. youth chain shoot. Alex did also win a trophy besides these. One he is indeed proud of, but probable no more proud than he is of those two prizes also. The belt buckle is recieved by very few. It is a once in a life time buckle, given by the gun club, and made by Shamrock leathers. Very few have it from that club and they are for the 1st 100 birds shot at their location. That buckle surely beats a patch doesn't it? Alex is a great young man! He will go long and far in this sport. You better hope you don't have a shoot off with him because I know very few whom could beat him. He is the coolest headed youth I know when on the line. Good luck this week Alex. Will see you at Monticello and St. Michael.

Mark Stevens
    aka "Coach" (Not alex's coach)Those honors go to Scott Berning of St. Michael, MN. A fine coach for sure! Dedicated in his own right! Way to go guys!

16. JACK

I had heard Alex had a new gun. If so, I want the old one. But likely he is using that gun to put us old-timers out to pasture as "just shooters"

17. daddiooo

Primedust / Calamity / Trap4ever,

Alright, point taken. Next time make him pose with ALL his trophies and I promise not to make any comments about the awards.

I can tell you in all honesty that I haven't run 225 straight in anything. My hat is off to an accomplished young shooter who apparently has a very bright future in this sport. These are the kids that will be running the shoots when I'm competeing as a "Super Senior".

Here's to happy endings,

Dave

18. mnkid

mnkid TS Member

Sounds like some of you know Alex very well, because you are right, he is a great kid. He works very hard on his shooting, and has developed a true passion for the sport. He's a fun kid to be around, so if you see him, go ahead and congratulate him, and you will see what I mean!

Regarding the belt buckle. That was won at a Youth Chain Shoot that Mark and Sally do such a fine job at putting on. But besides the shoot trophies, Watertown Gun Club in the past had bought some 100 straight buckles, and one 200 straight buckle, and put them in the drawer at the club. Over the years, not sure how many years, but many 100 buckles had been claimed, but the 200 buckle had never left the drawer. For a 16 year old kid, to claim that buckle after being told it had been in that drawer for a long time, that was big-time stuff! This year, his cousin Tylor broke a 200. I'm going to talk to Shamrock to see if I can get one made for him too.

Yup. Good genes.

Scott Berning

19. mndemon

mndemon TS Member

Hey everyone thanks for all of your kind words about me... It really means alot to me and how i view shooting and the great people i have met and shot with over the years... It has been a great honor being succesfull in this sport, although it has taken alot of practice and dedication it has all been worth it in the end... I would like to thank my bad ass coach Scott Berning, Sally Stevens you really make realize how memorable this expierience is and will be too come, Mark Stevens really helped me under stand the sport alot better, My father Ted for supporting through this fun sport, I would also like to thank Kevin Veches for pushing me to be on top, Last but not least thanks to the crow river sportsmans club for having a fun enviroment to shoot in... Watch out for the crow river youth shooters comin up!!!!

Thanks again Alex demon Steffens

20. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Alex, I can speak for all youth coach's when I say that you are a shining example of what teaching trap is all about! We the coach's thank you for your dedication to us, the coach's of this, and all sports! Sally, Scott and I are privileged to know you, coach you and spend time with you! We will see your name in lights over and over again! As my lovely bride would say "Rock on, Alex" "Rock ON" My generation would say "Cool Man" "Cool" " I can dig it"

Fonzie would be proud too! Heeyyy!

See you this weekend!

Mark Stevens
    aka: "Coach"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.