1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Minneapolis Gun Club Vintage Gun Shoot Results

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ithaca$$$Grade, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

Saturday August 24th the Minneapolis Gun Club will be hosting their 2nd annual Vintage Gun Shoot.

Guns must be pre 64 and there will be classes for Auto's, SXS/O/U's, Single Barrel Trap and guns fitted with an original Cutts Compensator. There will be 3 events, Trap, Skeet and 5 Stand, 50 targets in each event.

The cost will be $25.00 for each event which will include lunch. $65.00 if you enter 3 events.

The event will start at 10:00 AM and will go until 4:00 PM.

Get 'ol Betsy out of the closet and c'mon out and have some fun.

Hope to see you there.

Jimmy Bowen

ithacagrade_2008_030353.jpg

2. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Look closely at the picture in Jimmy's post. That's him on the far right when he was just a wee boy back in 1908. Even then they wouldn't let him shoot, just watch.

I guess my question is, in order to shoot one of his many Bowens, is Jimmy going to mount a Cutts on it?

3. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Do you guys go by when the gun was designed/put into production or by when the individual gun was produced?

4. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Zardo, I'll buy you lunch, if you're there.

I believe the production date of the gun is the key date for determining eligibility.

Mark Zauhar

5. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Hey Jimmmy

Who is the Grizzly looking guy with Red shorts, White shirt and Blue cap. Everyone else is smiling, but not this guy, looks kind of grumpy with a dejected look on his face. I almost feel sorry for him ????

Lew D. Boyko - Birddog

6. pfofml

pfofml Member

Jim I have an old Rem 870 which I believe to have a been manufactured in 1957. If that is the case, will this gun be ok?
    Peter

7. Ithaca$$$Grade

Zardo, ya u betcha, I'll buy you lunch and I'll make sure our fantastic cook makes it just the way you like it. I'll save you the best table in the dining area.

ithacagrade_2008_030355.jpg

About the guns......They do need to be manufactured pre 64 and we watch that pretty close. There is a lot of Ithaca SBT's out there with the 9 digit serial numbers that don't qualify, a lot of Browning Broadways, Remington 870's that were made after 64 that fall in the same category.

Peter, 870's were brought to the marketplace in 1950 so if you have one that is serial numbered pre 64 you're good to go.

Now I did talk to Bruce Bowen and he was thinking about producing the Bowen Shotgun before 1964 so they do qualify. :>) Just kidding. When I walk into my gun room there is 1/2 dozen Model 12's and as many Ithaca SBT's staring at me so I'll struggle with 1 or 4 of them on Saturday and do the best I can.

The weather looks great, 88 and sunny, the targets will be set so you can hit 'em and the food will be outstanding.

Hope to see you there.

Jimmy Bowen

8. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

How about the SX-1 with Cutts listed in last year's winners? When did Winchester ever make the SX-1 with an original Cutts installed?? Pre-64?, I think not. Looks like the "gun checker" needs a refresher course.

9. Ithaca$$$Grade

Boss, if you look at the shoot program, toward the bottom, you'll see where it says that in the Cutts Class it can be a later gun but must have an original Lyman Cutts on it. We did it that way because we didn't want a bunch of guns showing up with Dial a Duck compensators on them. I know of one gun, a Beretta 390, that a machine shop made an adapter that will screw in the barrel in place of a mobile choke and the Cutts compensator then screws onto the adapter. If you show up I'll let you use it. :>)

Its all about having a good time with the old guns, enjoying a good meal and busting targets.

Jimmy Bowen

10. smooothnova

smooothnova Member

Jimmy,is the pre-64 for the gun or shooter? SMOOOTH

11. Ithaca$$$Grade

Smoooth, that would be the gun!

If it was the shooter your dad would show up with his late model smoke pole and clean house.

I'll have extra guns along if someone wants to shoot and doesn't have the "proper" equipment.

10:00 AM start time.

Jimmy Bowen

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

OK Mr Bowen... If 64 was the year last year, why not '65 this year? Huh?

13. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Are Remington 1100s that were made in 1963 allowed. What about ones made after 1963?

Hit 'em hard,

John

14. Ithaca$$$Grade

MIA, at some point in time we might extend the date out but for right now we're holding to pre 64. Otherwise it opens the flood gate to the new iron that has been produced.

John, if your 1100 is dated to 1963, the first year of production for the 1100, it will be good to go. If it dates past that....no. We will be using www.oldguns.net to research the serial number if there is a gun in question.

Hope to see you there.

Jimmy Bowen

15. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

May be more practical to limit guns to hammerless or hammer side by sides. Most Vintage Shoot venues follow this format.

16. pfofml

pfofml Member

Jim, the serial # of my 870 is 606258v. The marking on the left side of the barrel is E E. How do these number compare to your records to qualify this gun as "old enough"?
    Peter

17. Ithaca$$$Grade

Peter, the gun dates 1958. You're good to go. Hope to see you Saturday.

Jimmy Bowen

18. Ithaca$$$Grade

The 2013 MGC Vintage Gun Shoot is in the books. The weather was great....a stiff south breeze but warm temperatures and lots of sunshine. Attendance was up from last year which meant that there were more nice old gun to look at.

Remington 11, 48, 58, 31,32, Browning A5, Superposed, Belgian Hammer Gun, Boss & Co., Parker, Ithaca 5E, 37, and of course Winchester model 12's & 21's.

The coveted Cutts Compensator Cup honors went to co winners Steve and Jake Boerboon. Yup, father & son. Steve took it outright last year with a 50 straight and this year they both came in with 49's. Nice shooting Steve & Jake.

ithacagrade_2008_030358.jpg

Rob Paetzold was HOA winner with an outstanding score of 133. Rob mixed it up and used a Winchester Model 12, Remington 32 and a Winchester 21. With the wind conditions he shot great.

Two vintage shooters shooting vintage guns that shot well, Leo Switala won trophies in Trap and Sporties Auto Class and the feared Mark Hintz won Trap in the Pump Class. They are always tough to beat.

ithacagrade_2008_030359.jpg

With the entry price a free lunch was included from our gun club kitchen, and we had the best gun club kitchen cook you'll find anywhere ready to cook it how you like it.

ithacagrade_2008_030360.jpg

Thank you to everyone who participated and traveled from as far away as Kentucky to have some fun shootin the old guns.

You can view all the scores and winners at the above website. Just click on "Shooting Activities" and the menu will drop down.

Jimmy Bowen

19. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Careful Tommie, you're on medications you know and they are not the blue pill either.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Zardos head is swellin!! LMAO!!

HAP

Search tags for this page
bruce bowen trapgun serial numbers

minneapolis gun club vintage shoot

minneapolis gun club vintage shoot results
minneapolis gun club vintage skeet shoot
rob paetzold