1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Minimum wage and Benefits

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trapperwads, Aug 5, 2013.

1. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

I sm in favor of an incremental minimum wage increase along with an incremental benefit decrease. First..reduce Supplemental Security income and welfare and food stamps two percent each year for three years. At the same time increase the minimum wage by a dollar an hour for the first year, then seventy five cents an hour each year for two years bringing the total in three years to $9.75 as the federal minimum. It gives small businesses time for absorbtion and adjustments and probably increase McD's items only about five cents each. Plus the decrease in benefits and increase in the minimum would make it gradually more beneficial to work than sit and collect. The nation is increasing part time work faster than full time. A single mother with two kids approaching working age would benefit as the kids take those part time jobs helping out at home. I'm sure there will be those opposed and those in favor but its an idea and no ideas have yet to come to light from the power brokers in Washington. ed nichols

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You lost me when you said to reduce my Social Security benefits.

Hauxfan!

3. The Stive

The Stive Member

I can go along with the reduction in welfare and food stamps but leave Social
    Security alone. The phased in raises in the minimum wage sounds good. John

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Increasing minimum wage puts upwards pressure on increasing all wages, resulting in an increase in price of everything you buy. Because of the increased labor cost, it'll further decrease our competitiveness in the world market. If you doubt what I'm saying, answer two questions. First, if you raise the minimum wage from $7.25/hour to say $8.75/hr, what will you do to those who are making $8.75/hr now? Leave them to become the new minimum wage earners or raise them to say $10.00? Ask this question ad infinitum and you'll see why I made my first assertion. Second, at $7.25/hr now, do you think we're competitive in labor cost to Mexico, India, China, etc.? If you raise that labor cost to $8.75/hr, do you think we'll be even more competitive?

Those who insist on raising the minimum wage think they're increasing the purchasing power of these people (by the amount of the raise) and nothing else changes. In actuality, they're really screwing the very people they're hoping to help.

But what happens if we change the income tax code instead? Say, increase the minimum standard deduction to equal the annual earnings of the minimum wage earners. This results in no taxable income to them. It's like the government giving them a $700/yr raise. The difference is that it does not put any upward pressure in other wages and does not change our competitiveness in the world market.

Another really helpful change should be in our educational system. Those graduating out of high school should have more skills than that which qualify them for just minimum wage jobs.

Chichay

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I agree with Chichay, if people aren't happy with minimum wage it is their duty to improve their lives, not the rest of the countries job

6. trapperwads

Those people making $8.75 now have demonstrated ability and skills for upward mobility or they would'nt be making it. It is up to the boss to increase them slightly or promote them or maybe they move on to something else. Those making minimum now wouldn't have the jobs to begin with if the boss didn't think they were worth it before hiring them. As for competition in the world...nothing is being done now and I agree with one thing the Donald says...we need to put an import tax on goods made overseas...especially those by American manufacturers. ed

7. trapperwads

And by the way, I didn't mean social security which people put into and earned. I meant the handout by the government called supplementary security income. ed

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

First thing we have to remember is with Obama care companies are reducing hours to keep from having to supply insurance.

Second thing is they are paying low wages because of the surplus workforce looking of any kind of a job.

Third thing is if you think companies will voluntarily raise minimum wages I have several well known bridges for sale.

With the illegals working for nothing, stupid people thinking that all a person has to do is go get a higher paying job that isn't there and the Democrats trying to create a two class system (master/slave relationship) we are doomed to become a 3rd world economy.

9. darr

darr Well-Known Member

In theory I agree with your idea. I would be for a reduction in SS because it would put the onus on people to save for themselves. They probably wouldn't but it is a good idea. I'm 51 and I understand that SS needs fixed. I have paid the max more often than not. I know I will never see that money. But they should raise the age of receipt. If some generation sometime does not accept the fact that they are going to have to take some sort of cut then SS is dead. I as far as I'm concerned I say good riddance. SS is 1 reason of many that the citizens of this once great country decided it was ok for somebody else to take care of their retirement.

Raising minimum wage 2 bucks is not going to have meaningful impact on anybody's life. And I'm not for artificially setting anybody's wage. That is 1 reason why I'm against unions. These minimum wage jobs are not a career but a start or a supplemental income. But 2 bucks in 2 years I guess I could live with.

Darr

10. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Raising minimum wage has had a significant effect on ALL of our lives. When I was a kid there was no minimum wage. I had two paper routes in school session and worked from can to can't for 5 to 7 bux a day in the summertime on the farm. At 10 years old I was able to have a job and make comic book money and candy bar money. At 14 I was able to buy a car and at 16 I could afford to drive the dang thing. Look at unemployment rates for the under 29 year old cohort today. Look at the unemployment rate for that same cohort in 1960. Folks can push the master-slave comparison all day long but an unemployed drag on society in a 10 buck an hour mandated minimum wage country is a slave to the bleeding government. Better to work for peanuts that to not work at all. After a period of not working the person becomes unemployable. After a period of unemployability the same person becomes hostile to the system. The person hostile to the system becomes a danger to everyone around him, master and slave alike.

Don T. Littleton CO

11. gunut54

gunut54 TS Member

I don't know about raising the minimum wage.....but I do know that we have to bring manufacturing jobs back to this country.... no more importing foreign made products into this country without a stiff import tax....we cannot compete with the rest of the world unless we want over half our population living like the populations of these third world countries [living in shanties and peeing in the streets]...Stop American Corporations from manufacturing in other countries.....causing American unemployment, poverty and the unrest it brings with it....If you want to be an American Corporation and sell your goods here, make them here!!....

12. trapperwads

gunnut54...you cannot stop an American company from going where they can make a profit but you can impose a tariff on imported goods to make it less profitable. A few years ago in Cicero NY at the NYS shoot or Northeastern, I was already on my trap when three guys pulled up in a pick up that I beleive were from New Hampshire and we go talking. They were telling me the fast foods in their area were paying eleven dollars an hour cause they couldnt get anyone to work for less. So they can afford it. And if I have to pay five cents more for a burger or fries, I don't care if it helps get the country back on track. ed

13. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Our local Arby's is advertizing for help!! "Adults only"

Wrong so wrong!! But its now child abuse if you hire 17 year olds or younger!!

14. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

We have been raising minimum wages since their inception, and it has not helped. So why would this particular raise be any different? As has been mentioned, minimum wage jobs are a starting point, not a career position. Those who stay in such jobs as a career need more than minimum wage raises; they need a serious upgrade of their skills. Isn't teaching them how to fish better than giving them a fish a day? Both for giver and receiver! We need more than gimmicks to break the vicious cycle of increasing minimum wage=rise in the cost of living=increasing minimum wage=rise in the cost of living. Chichay