1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

minimum velocity for 1oz load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1stout, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1stout

1stout TS Member

I've tried the search and haven't found much. I'm setting up a new(used) reloader and was wondering what the minumum velocity is before i run the risk of a 1 oz load not firing. I loaded 4 boxes that should be around 1050 fps and was going to try them behind the house tonight before changing bushings. Do I need to go faster to keep the pressure up? Just wondering what others have run into. Thanks

Michael

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Michael,

I would think that if you used published load data then you'll be allright.

ec90t

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Go to Hodgdon's website and look for 1 ounce data with Winchester Winlite Powder.

If you use an autoloader like an 1100, these loads probably will not open the action. Pressure is waaaaay too low.

4. SAMC

SAMC TS Member

I use a 17.5 Green Dot load that chrono's at 1160fps. Works well- no puffers. Sam

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

timb99,

Good call on the 1100. I forget about those using lite loads in autos.

ec90t

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Were it me, 1stout, I'd reduce payload before reducing the powder/velocity angle. I have very good results with 7/8 oz loads with #9s but DO have to keep the velocity up to around 1200 fps as a minimum to keep a consistent velocity over the chronograph. If you're working toward light recoil, I'd guess the reduced payload would be a quicker way to do that. If you're trying to save money, you'll save more in reducing shot than reducing powder. Using smaller shot, 8 1/2s or 9s and just 7/8 oz you can keep the pellet count up to or above 1 oz of 8s or larger.....Bob Dodd

7. 1stout

1stout TS Member

I've tried the search and haven't found much. I'm setting up a new(used) reloader and was wondering what the minumum velocity is before i run the risk of a 1 oz load not firing. I loaded 4 boxes that should be around 1050 fps and was going to try them behind the house tonight before changing bushings. Do I need to go faster to keep the pressure up? Just wondering what others have run into. Thanks

Michael

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Michael,

I would think that if you used published load data then you'll be allright.

ec90t

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Go to Hodgdon's website and look for 1 ounce data with Winchester Winlite Powder.

If you use an autoloader like an 1100, these loads probably will not open the action. Pressure is waaaaay too low.

10. SAMC

SAMC TS Member

I use a 17.5 Green Dot load that chrono's at 1160fps. Works well- no puffers. Sam

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

timb99,

Good call on the 1100. I forget about those using lite loads in autos.

ec90t

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Were it me, 1stout, I'd reduce payload before reducing the powder/velocity angle. I have very good results with 7/8 oz loads with #9s but DO have to keep the velocity up to around 1200 fps as a minimum to keep a consistent velocity over the chronograph. If you're working toward light recoil, I'd guess the reduced payload would be a quicker way to do that. If you're trying to save money, you'll save more in reducing shot than reducing powder. Using smaller shot, 8 1/2s or 9s and just 7/8 oz you can keep the pellet count up to or above 1 oz of 8s or larger.....Bob Dodd

13. 1stout

1stout TS Member

Thanks for the posts. The current load is around 17.5 +/-.2 grains of American Select and when I relooked it up it should put me around 1150 fps and not 1050 fps. I think I still want to try them out before I go to club and have any issues on the line. The only other problem is that my wife isn't very good at the hand thrower; she wants an automatic one but I don't want to spend the money it. We just need to have a couple kids so they can throw the birds for me. Thanks

Michael

14. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I agree with EE, but first I want to ask "What gauge gun is it?"

If it's a 12 gauge, use the fastest powder available to load light, slow loads. That would probably be Red Dot, Clays, or Solo 1000.

15. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

One of the guys I shoot with loads 7/8 ounce of our homemade 8's. We took a couple and chronographed them, and they were right around 1240 fps. He gave me a box to try at trap and I must say, I was completely surprised, they had very minimal recoil, especially in my BT-99, and they just smashed birds. It was almost like shooting a 22...Hope this helps, Josh.

16. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

They seem to pattern best & break targets best for me at about 1150 fps. Any less & they seem to chunk targets. More speed does nothing,maybe even a liitle worse. All my loads are chrono'ed so that is why I say 1150.

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

There is a minimum pressure/vel for most powder/wad/shot combinations. The abreviated answer is load the 1 Oz shells to about 1,150-1,200 fps and use a fast powder. My favorite powders for the 1 Oz are Clays and 700X.

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Michael, maybe youwill post the components you use and we can better help you.

I load STS hull, STS209 primer, 17gr Am Sel, TGT-12 wad and 1oz magnum shot. It is listed at 1150fps @6925psi. It is just a little dirty for Am Sel, so that tell me there really isn't enough pressure for a really good burn. Substituting a W209 primer for the STS209 mostly solves that problem. Normally, I prefer 18.0 to 18.4gr Am Sel in that load.

My favorite 1oz load uses the components listed above but 16gr e3 powder. Works like a charm in warm, hot or cold weather. Basically, if you want a 1oz load at under 1200fps, you are better of with Red Dot speed, or something faster, like e3, Clay Dot, Clays, 700X, etc.

19. 1stout

1stout TS Member

This is all very good information, I've always used AS because I like how clean it is in both my break opens and my autos but I'm thinking I'd like to try something else. I'll burn through a box tonight and if that goes well try some at the gun club tomorrow. I'll let you know how they do. Thanks

Michael

20. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

I shoot same load as "zzt". E3 seems to be a very consistent powder. Some people don't like spending the extra money for the Rem 209 primers, but I've loaded 1000's of shells without a failure to fire due to a bad primer. Any way ,over all good load but not the cheapest. Good luck.
    Josh Andersen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.