1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

minimum practice to be competitive

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

In the article in TRap & field,Devi said she shot 3 flats on practice, you have to shoot alot, but make sure you have a reliable coach pointing out your mistakes & correcting them----Phil

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It's not so much, it's how often.

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Someone just told me about this thread, and I think I need to clarify.

3 flats a day is TOO MUCH. I did this behind my instructor's back, because I was hard-headed. AT THAT TIME, I WAS TOLD NOT TO SHOOT MORE THAN 4 BOXES A DAY.

In every other sport, I became a top competitor through brute-force working hard, and I thought that is what I had to do in trap. NOT TRUE. First and foremost, you have to WORK SMART.

I made a mistake doing what I did last year. What I ended up doing is engraining bad habits, which STILL pop up on the line when I am tired and unfocused. If you ever see me shoot when I am tired, and you see me crawl up on the stock or drop my shoulder back (habit picked up from a gun that was too long), please come up and slap me for being an idiot last year.

Good practice is when you are doing everything correctly (as verified by a good instructor), and you go out and shoot a couple or three times per week, maybe 2-4 boxes. You don't get tired, you don't lose focus, and you don't break your bank.

So the summation is listen to chatbrat.

4. recurvyarcher

P.S. Read the article in T&F by Les Greevy, I think it was 2 issues ago. He wrote an article on smart practice. It was a great article!

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I have been told that Kay & Debby both shoot about a 1000 rounds a week counting both reg. and practice.

6. aaastalker

aaastalker TS Member

It depends on the individuals skillset. Everyone learns and retains those teachings at a different pace.

Proper skills can be learned by several teaching methods. Some people are visual learners, some are audible, and a few are both.

However, the frequency of practice will definitely depend on the individuals current skillset.

Once you reach a level of competency in any sport, you will get a feeling of how often you will need to practice to maintain or exceed your current level.

A good foundation, along with meaningfull practice sessions will take you along way.

AAA

7. recurvyarcher

Registered shooting is great practice, if you are shooting correctly.

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Practice is practice and squad shooting is squad shooting.

Practice is not simply repetition. It requires some thought and analysis of the result between each attempt to separate good behaviors from bad ones. That can't be done effectively when shooting in a squad, registered or otherwise.

Morgan

9. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

The amount of practice will vary with each person. Some require very little. Most of us require regular weekly practice. As posted above it is very important to practice with improvement intended. A great shooter, now deceased, told me all his practices are based on the thoughts he was shooting for the clay targets championship, championship doubles or the Grand American Handicap. He won a lot of trophies at the Grand and other major shoots. - Jim

10. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

I think Recurvy pretty well covered it. Enjoy the game. The results may very well improve...............Roger

11. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Depends on what you are practicing for. All American? Club Champ? D class winnner at local club?

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've always found the more days I shoot, even if it's 50 rounds a day. The better my timing and consistancy becomes. That of course, was when it was a lot cheaper to shoot. Now I use the DryFire computer system 80% of the time, and seem to get good results, at least, for my age, and present abilities.

13. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Anyone know a place where I could take a couple of good lessons during practice. I have never taken a lesson yes and would really like to be competitive. I live about 65 miles from the NY ATA Homegrounds Home grounds and started shooting last July. I would be willing to travel to get a few lessons.
    Thanks

Martin

14. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Phil :

Thank you so much for the offer the only thing is your about 3000 miles away from me and I don't know if I can fit California in the budget for this year. I'm saving for Ohio in Aug. I live in NY up by Watertown originally from Orange County NY right by Orange County Choppers. I purchased my first shotgun in March of 07 and shot my first trap target in July 07 at Sacketts Harbor Sportsmen's club. There are a lot of shooters here and everyone seems to have some advice that is great and I take in as much as possible but would love to take a few lessons from someone who might be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong or doing correctly. Thanks again and if I'm ever out that way I will stop by.

Martin

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you shoot a minimum of 300 registered targets each week, it is difficult to find time to practice.

Pat Ireland

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

good question....I have to drive 90 miles minimum to get to a trap club so I don't get much practice time.

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Keep blasting till your shoulder feels like it is falling off then you can compete

18. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

95% of my practice is done shooting registered targets. I have a hard time practicing with the same enthusiasm and concentration shooting anything else. I mainly shoot practice after i have made an adjustment to my gun or have worked up a different load.

I know my shooting may suffer some in the early part of the season shooting here in the midwest,but it's what works for me.

good shooting

Steve

19. shadow

shadow Active Member

I shot last week. First time in 4 months. Dropped the first bird and the fifth. The rest turned into dust and small pieces.....go figure. Practice isnt for everyone.

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Everyone's learning curve is different. Some top shooters I know shoot about 300 rounds a week. One shoots 50 dubs, 100 singles, and 200 caps.

Others shoot 2 or 3 flats every time they go to a club. A top Sporting shooter I know shoots 3 flats a day when in training (groan). Yes, he is young and athletic.

Do what is right for you. A good shooter who tries to be a trainer will want you to shoot like they do. A good Trainer will teach you to shoot the way YOU shoot best, using certain basics and fundamentals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.