1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mini rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gbfan76, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbfan76

gbfan76 TS Member

Has anyone tried a "mini rib?" Was watching some videos and several of the shooters were using these. Opinions or remarks.

2. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

It's the Shooter..Not The Rib...Mini Rib..Long Rib..Adjustable or No Rib at All

3. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

[​IMG]

Now don't laugh but this is my Mini Rib.

All I see when I mount the gun is the front bead sitting on top of the Mini-Rib, then it's all business on the target...

Sorry for the lousy pictures but you get the idea.

Works for this Indian...LOL

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

shotgunpeople, that is a novel approach to eliminating any space between the beads. Nothing to laugh at if you can hit the targets. It must shoot at least 2 feet high.

5. shotgunpeople

Jerry P,

I took advice from a good friend Terry Jordan of the Wall Chart Fame.

He had advised my wife to set a trap for Straight away targets only, and begin raising her comb until she was shooting over the targets. Then lower the comb until she was smoking the straights...We did that with remarkable improvement for her.

I was struggling with the BT-100, so decided to do the same thing...I had the comb set with .250" spacers that I did on the pattern board for a 80/20 pattern, but just could not get hard hits on the targets, and was missing by being under them....When I did Terry's suggested thing with the comb, I had to go home and turn up longer posts on my lathe for my adjustable comb. I returned to the club and continued...I had to add .375" worth of spacers when I finished...Then I had the comb up a total space of 5/8" and saw a terrible gap between the beads that distracted me...I did some experimenting and came up with this little idea that has proven results...Anyone who knows me would tell you my hits are solid smoke now, whether from the 16 yard line or Caps.

I do have to tell you that I am afraid to "pattern" it on a piece of paper..I don't want to know how high this shoots because it could be scary...

It sure works for this Indian though ...

Dave

6. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Dave......Best idea I have seen on this site in a long time..Really good out "of the box thinking"
    I am jealous that I did not think about a solution that simple and that effective..SMOKIT

7. shotgunpeople

SMOKIT,

Thanks for the compliment.

I must tell anyone who has a large gap between their mid and front bead, and wants to try to rid themselves of that distraction, just take a small piece of wood and use some electrical tape to hold it on. That is how I started...

I trimmed the wood down to get the look of the front bead sitting on the wood...After I got this piece of plastic from McMaster-Carr, I trimmed to the same dimensions as the wood to get the results I wanted. I then glued this plastic on. I wasn't sure if I wanted a "Center Bead" look or not (I found it wasn't necessary in my case), and if I wanted it I was either going to spot drill a little hole just below the top of the plastic on the ramp portion, and fill it with white paint, OR cut a "V" in the plastic with a mill, and glue a white pin head in the bottom of the "V" to give me the "Center Bead" stack look...I found I did not need it at all because once I know I'm lined up, I never look back at the bead anyway.

I tossed that "V" out in case someone found they wanted the look.

I had fun doing this, and saved a ton of money too.

Dave in SC

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Dave, Why do Indians want to screw with peoples minds? Very interesting and innovative. Never to old to stop playing are we;)

9. twin

twin Member

Dave, how did you attach your Mini Rib (front and rear pieces) to your BT 100 rib? Epoxy, solder, etc..
    Did you use metal for your new Mini Rib?
    Very neat idea.

Thank you

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

What Dave did was add a "BUMP" over his mid bead, Jerrie White out of Fort Collins Colorado invented this years ago as a way to close the gap between the mid and front beads when raising the comb for higher poi.

Perazzi adpapted this BUMP system to their MX 9 using mid barrel inserts of varying heights to close the gap. The higher the comb is raised the higher the BUMP. Installing a BUMP is a low cost alternatve to adding a rib and it works.

Surfer

11. shotgunpeople

Dead on ~~~

Wow, and here I thought I happened upon a novel idea..ha ha ha

I wondered why nobody had ever thought of this before me. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't the first...

Bump would be a good way to describe this...And yes, it sure does work for me. It looks exactly as if there were a full length flat rib, when I look down mine now.

Dave

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

No worries, every time I come up with an idea its come and gone three or four times. As you found a Bump does work, is easy to install and changed with little effort. Perazzi's approach was really cool, you just slid the bump into a grove on the ramp to match whatever height you chose. Jerrie White's invention was a glue on deal.

Surfer

13. shotgunpeople

Yep,

I must have been reading Jerrie's mind. Mine is an Epoxied on deal also.

IF I ever found the need to take it off, I don't see a problem at all.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.