1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mini 30

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Terry Shellhamer, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Shellhamer

Terry Shellhamer TS Member

I was interested in knowing, from anyone who has owned a Mini 30, how accurate they are? I was thinking about getting one, before they are banned, and thought about using it for misc. plinking and maybe some summer ground hog getting, at closer ranges. I don't reload for the 7.62 X 39, so I would be shooting Wolf soft points. If anyone has shot this rifle with the soft points could tell me the expected accuracy, I would appreciate it.

2. setter

setter Member

Its called minute of paper plate, around 4 to 5 inches at 100 yds.

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

IMO 4-5 in. at 100 yds. in this gun is good. I have a mini 14 ranch model (.223) and the kids like shooting it because it makes lots of noise and throws fire out the end of the barrel about 18 in. or so. Has been difficult to dial in.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

The words "accurate, mini 30, and Wolf ammo" do not belong in the same sentence.

Tom(AJ100)

[​IMG]

5. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have a mini 30 and if I shoot one evey 2 minutes I can get 1 inch groups. If I shoot 5 shots fast I get 6-10 inch groups. Try shooting real slow.

6. Harty

Harty TS Member

I bought a mini 14 about a month ago that was a very early one... 2nd year production.... With Iron sights it shots about 2-3 inch at 100 yards..... However, keep in mind I would try several brands of ammo.... Wolf 22 ammmo Yes... any other wolf ammo is in ?

However, for just a "fun gun" for close range work you will probably be fine and they are alot cheaper (used) than AR's are currently...

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you like the Garand syle action, take a look at the line of Springfield M1A rifles. They aren't cheap but they do shoot very well. I like the 7.62 NATO round a lot more than the 7.62x39 and you probably will as well.

8. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

If you are just looking for something semi and want a GEAT rifle and a deal on ammo, look into the CMP.

NOTHING better at "Garand" action than the real thing. If you want to buy something that obama is going to ban then get in line for an AR or buy that mini 30.

Tom(AJ100)

[​IMG]

9. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

I have a Mini-14 S/S ranch with a 3-9 scope and with handloads can shoot 1" groups all day.

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

I owned a Mini-30, and I have to agree with others. It's very inaccurate. I tried Remington, Winchester, and Federal. Nothing would group. I even tried handloading. Nothing worked very well. The Wolf ammo really built up the crud. I ended up trading it for a Howa 1500, in .22-250.

Best,
    Dennis

11. Terry Shellhamer

Terry Shellhamer TS Member

Thanks for all the info - Straight 99 - What kind of ammo (brand) did you use to get this good shooting with. I had a Ruger #1 in 22-250 with a Leupold 24X scope and it WAS a long range hog buster!!! But I'm interested in the Mini 30 as was stated - probably be banned (especially 30 round mags)- just for fun plinking gun- and 4-5 inches at 100 would be fine, - and if it spits fire now and then all the better!!! Thanks again. Terry

12. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Rem in the greem box was the best along with reloads of Speer 125 TNT and 23 gr. of 335.

13. JB Logan Co. Ohio

14. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

If you are wanting a good inexpensive SHTF semi-auto, then purchase a Saiga in 7.62x39. They are made by Kalishnakov in Russia and are the same as an AK-47 except they have a "sporting" style stock and come with 10 round magazines. Extra mags are readily available.

Their accuracy is about 5" at 100 yards and they are rock solid dependable. Also, they cost just over one-half what a Ruger mini-30 sells for.

Easystreet

15. JB Logan Co. Ohio

I have a MAK-90 that shoots surprisingly well, my son can break a clay target off-hand at 100 yds. Not bad for a 12 yr. old.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.