1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mind set

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RobertT, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I'm not a AA shooter but I'll share what I believe. First comes the mechanical approach of correct position and gun mount, this is mostly a conscious effort. Second comes the visual aspect of focusing on seeing the bird when it is released, this is the mental aspect. If we do the first two things well our unconscious mind will direct the rest of the process.

Unfortuately, I often have a difficult time quieting my conscious mind sufficiently to focus on the game at hand.

Robert

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Richard- You have presented a very good question. Superficially, you have asked two questions, but I believe they are the same question. Concentration on the target and breaking the target can come in two general forms. One is hard work where you have to force yourself to think only about the next target. Sometimes we get into a mental state where we only think about the task as hand and everything else just goes away. Thinking about the next target becomes automatic because we are not thinking about anything else. Both of these are just levels of concentration, that unfortunately, I have not been able to describe well.

Pat Ireland

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The correct way is to let the subconscious mind take over and run the ship. The reason for this is that the subconscious mind does not make mistakes. It is only when the conscious mind tries to help out that mistakes occur.

When you attain the proper mental state it is referred to as "Being In The Zone". HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.