1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mind games during shoot offs!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Over the years I have watched a good number of shoot offs. It amazes me of some of the things shooters think up in order to give them an edge. One of the first things a former all American shooter once told me was, NEVER BE THE FIRST SHOOTER TO WALK OUT FOR THE SHOOT OFF. He always said when you hear your name called get your equipment, open a can of soda and drink it slowly, and just before the second call at the last minute walk out to shoot.

He said this drives less experienced shooters crazy because they are getting their hopes up that they will win by means of a forfeit, and when they see you it screws them up mentally.

Second thing he said, bring lots of shells, cases of shells with you. He said you are putting the other shooters on notice that you intend to shoot a long time.

Third thing- If you are tied after the first round, tell the guy he is the fastest shooter you ever saw. He said one of two things will happen. He will think to himself, if you think I was shooting fast last round, watch the next round. Or he might say to himself, I am not a real fast shooter, maybe I should slow down. Either way there is a chance that he will mess up his timing.

The list of things shooters have done in shoot offs can go on and on. Here's my idea, be prompt for the shoot off when you hear your name called. Keep your mouth shut until the shoot off is over. Win or lose, shake the man or woman's hand and congratulate the winner.

Steve Balistreri

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

How about the mind games when a man has to shoot-off against a woman!!! Or worse yet a girl or boy!!! Win or Lose he's going to get it one way or the other. Oh Yeh, theres alot of wisedom in your post Steve. I know. Break-em all. Jeff

3. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I’ve been in two singles shoot-offs in my short trapshooting career (8 months)..First one against a
    State champion AA junior, second against another state champion junior and long time
    AA adult shooter. Won both with a 25, they all shot 24’s missing the 19th target (all three missed the 19th)…
    I took 100 shells to the line, was first to the line, and shot quick. I shot within 5 seconds of the last shooters shot.
    The veteran shooters told me that I had no chance against the juniors (my old eye’s) or the experienced shooter with the great reputation. So I just shot with no pressure, happy and smiling at who ever looked my way.
    Weird how relaxed and happy I was, just enjoyed the shoot-offs like it was practice with
    My friends..

4. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

My usual routine is to urinate about 40 times prior to walking out as my bladder contracts to the size of a hamster...according to my wife. Then I am not sure if I am going to sh*t my pants or not while walking out..or maybe puke..or both. Then when the shooting starts I am fine...what gives with that? Can I patent this routine?

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The mind games get alot more intense than that SS. All part of the game - for better or worse.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

And if you do have to shoot-off against a young boy or girl (or new shooter)that has never been in or won a shoot-off,,hope & pray that THEY have to shoot 1st that way you know when to miss, make them work for their win just enough to make them PROUD,, then you miss when they hit. Makes for much better memories for BOTH of you, you've already won your share, SMILE & CONGRATULATE THEM. (Think about this for a minute) Ross Puls

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Reduce the first target out to smoke, your opponant will create their own mind games ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Had a guy shoot into the mud, about three feet from the front of me and the walk just while I was calling for my bird. He was shooting ahead of me with a release trigger and said it slipped. Why he was loaded, closed and finger setting the trigger was a mystery.

Didn't help, I waxed him after wiping all the mud off me and my gun. Swore his finger slipped.

9. senior smoke

I have been beaten by children before. Let's face it, shooting off against a kid is a no win situation. I once heard the father of someone in the shoot off say to his son, fire one into the ground in front of the guy on your right. That will shake him up but good. They were tied after the first round and the shooter was using a release. He did what his father suggested and the guy on his right missed the next two targets out after that and lost the shoot off. I told the father and son after the shoot off that was bs. Father said I was joking. The kid said I have been having trigger problems, BS!!! I told an ATA official then.
    Steve

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, Now you have me going!!! What was the end result of the ATA Offical. I hope that they were kicked out of the club, and disqualified from the event as well!!!. Break-em all. Jeff

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Hardage,

An old bronc rider told me once that if you have to pi$$ more than once before you get on the bronc, that means you're afraid of him....lol

John C. Saubak

12. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Shot realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllslow makes them crazy.

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I had a old guy shoot my station once. I mean He shot the pad 4 feet infront of me. He to had a release and I did keep an eye on him there after. It was the the last 25 of the event. I didn't miss at all that round.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Bettween rounds go back to your trailer for more shells... a hot shower and a fresh change of clothes. (actually seen an AA do this!}. The other guy baked in the sun awhile.

15. senior smoke

Jeff:
    The Official talked to both of them and like the father said, he told them he was joking. The kid stuck to his story that he's been having release trigger problems and nothing was done to them, other than they suggested that he get his trigger checked and fixed. Trust me, nothing was wrong with that trigger. I can't stand people who cheat. Vic Reinders always told me that anytime a great deal of money is involved it brings out the chiselers.
    Steve

16. maka

maka Member

A senior vet told me that if you piss like a ciwhawa you can't run with the big dogs. excuse sp.

17. TF

TF Active Member

Was in a shootoff for an open state doubles championship a few year ago and my opposition was a well known sob with a reputation for playing games. We were called before the trap was set so I had to sit and listen to his BS for several minutes--things like his expensive gun and the trap clinics he had attended and the other "Big" shootoffs he had won. As luck would have it I had to lead off (which I don't like to do) and when we looked at first pair I just looked at him. I asked to see another pair, and looked over at him and asked him if the targets looked OK (they were fine). He said yes to which I replied "Are you sure?" He said yes and I said well I guess we'll shoot them like they are. He dropped the first bird for a 19 and I ran he 20. He didn't even realize what had happened until his buddies got on him about it. As for juniors, subs, and most lady shooters I find it easy just to say I'd better not shoot because I've had something to drink, even though I don't drink anything stronger than a Pepsi.

18. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Funny story, but true. Along time ago, at Lincoln Park GC in Chicago, Skeet tourney. A friend of mine had heard a story of a guy going to a shoot-off with a Full case of shells( Not a Flat). When querried by his opponent, he said "I don't intend to miss, do you"Later that day, he finds himself in a shoot-off, remembering the story, he went in and bought 4 boxes of blue Peters ammo. But he scrounged up an empty case, and we dug out 16 empty boxes to fill the case,&he walked up and delivered the line. Proceeded to MISS the first target out and lost the shoot-off. My gut ached for a week from the laughter!

19. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

Shot off against my adult son. It lasted three rounds before he won. To this day I tell him I let him win. jack :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.