1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mind control on the line

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by knutershooter, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Guys what do you do to keep your mind focused on the next target instead of wandering and thinking thoughts like "geez these are easy" Or I only missed one so I can end up with a 99, sure as hell the next one is lost! Any good advice??

2. alpine

alpine TS Member

The mind is a terrible thing.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You have to learn how to shut off your conscious mind. Let your subconscious mind take over and enter the "zone". HMB

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

I don't know if you can shut down thinking but you can control what you think about. Set up a shot routine that includes positive self talk that you use for every shot. You really only need to control your thoughts from the time you mount your gun until the target breaks. My last thought after my gun is up is"see the target,break the target". The rest of the time relax and enjoy the moment.

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

OTNOT is right . No one can concentrate for 100 targets but can concentrate for one target at a time . You need a word to signal your brain that it,s time to shoot and totaly concentrate . I use SEE THE TARGET . This works about 96% of the time . People that don,t shoot well have no idea just how much work shooting well is . If you don,t come off the line tired you have not given it your best .

6. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Your right shooting a good score is work! I have broke 4 100's straight but it has always been the 2nd hundred of a 200 bird event, I truley believe I should break them all as you all do as well, but it seems that mostly it is myself beating myself with inner turmoil on the line. Usually it is too much focus on score and not target especially when thye are breaking good, then wamm lost target, then pissed off for counting score and wamm lost target. shoot a 97 and run the next hundred and lose by a target or two. Thanks for your input guys!

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Sounds like a job for a carny hypnotist to me.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I breath, look at the ground in front of me inbetween shots. When my turn I take a deep breath ,open my eyes wide, mount the gun.
    while I am mounting I say this to myself SEE IT KILL IT. When I stick to this I shoot my best. Then this I treat every clay like its the only one I need to hit. I personally do not miss the 1st bird to often.

9. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Good news there is a a carnival in town next week, going to go see if they have one! Thanks!

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

The more I think about not letting my mind wander around, the more it wanders. Try this-- do your very best not to think about a hamburger and see what happens.

Pat Ireland

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Crap. I thought that this thread was going to tell me how to control the minds of the OTHER shooters on the line - so that I could command OTNOTs butt to itch just as it was his turn to shoot, for example.

Anything to distract that lousy SOB, LOL!

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Jeff, just sprinkle a tiny bit of itching powder in Jim's pants when he bends over to get his shells out of the bag (just before taking the line). Your problem is solved.

13. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Phill Ross has a very good CD on this very subject. It costs $40.00 but it is well worth it. I have been using the info for about a month. Put it to good use and shot 49 and then a few days later my first 50 straight in doublles.

Phill also gives lessons at Redlands and Prado etc in CA.

14. otnot

otnot Active Member

Jeff your as bad Yukon and the Voodoo doll last year. Now my hemroids are acting up. Thanks a lot I don't have any Preparation H in Kasilof. Use your imagination. LOL

15. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

A great shooter and acknowledged successful coach once told me. Do not worry nor think about the next target. Relax between shots and think about whatever, but when it becomes your turn, think only about the target at hand. Tell yourself to watch it, watch it, and then watch it. If you see if correctly and are set up properly you will break it. Nothing more, nothing less. - Jim

16. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

thanks for the visual. I'd rather use binoculars to stare at the sun, though, than have that thought in my head.

17. otnot

otnot Active Member

Now when you see me wiggling around on the line you will know why, and a dollar to a doughnut you miss the next shot. LOL

18. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I recently shot my first ever 75 straight in H-cap, and all I saw was my gun moving in front of the target. There was NOTHING racing through my brain; didn't think about anything between shots; and actually forgot what station I was on a few times! First time EVER for all this! First time ever listening to a subliminal music passage while shooting as well. There is definitely something to this! AndyH

19. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Otnot still has it right, a shot routine and positive self talk can and will get you thru every target. Mount tight and move slow....

20. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Pat ... what kind of hamburger and what would you put on it? Dang now I cant stop thinking about hanburgers with cheese and fried onions and fried mushrooms and tomato and mayo and ... dang I want me a burger!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.