1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Min Companion tubes length to allow chokes to work

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by benniesdad, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

I have a set of 20/.410 Briley Sidekicks that I am considering having converted into Companion tubes. I am wondering how much shorter than the barrel I can make them that the choke in the tube itself will still reliably control the pattern. I will be using them in two different 20 gauge guns and really don’t want to make either gun too barrel heavy because I want to use these for shooting sporting clays and I like the way they currently handle. I once had a set of 12/20 Companion tubes that were 15 inches long and they did great at skeet, but never worked well with tighter constrictions for sporting. I have heard of people using 26 inch tubes in 30 inch barrels with success. Therefore, I can assume that 4 inches shorter works. Wondering about going even shorter. Anyone have any practical experience on this?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Briley guys- and I have had a couple of discussions with them- like to have 6 inches between the end of the tub and end of the barrel

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Just remember you'll have blowback in you main barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.