1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Milwaukee, Wisconsin area hit with torrential rain

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have never seen so much rain fall like tonight. In a few hours we had 8 inches of rain, with more on it's way. Sink holes, flooded streets, flooded basements, etc. My basement flooded again, 2nd time within 2 weeks. I also have a stream of water squirting out of one of the lower cement blocks in my basement . I have been to two places that received a tremendous amount of rain, Seattle Washington, and Florida. With as much rain as those two areas get, how do you stop basements from flooding, or do you have homes without basements?
    Steve Balistreri

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

It is 4:23am, can't sleep. Before I went to bed last night the mayor was on tv stating that Milwaukee was disaster area. Back in the 50's Milwaukee had maybe 1 or 2 hard rains a summer, usually no more than 1 inch of rain. Our weather has certainly changed this year. I am getting to old for this. Thinking of purchasing a condo if I can sell after walls repaired and the leaks stopped. Better yet, my idea of purchasing some vehicle to travel and shoot across the country sounds great to me. I just heard a crack of thunder and lightening, hope we don't get more rain. A lot of basements are flooded here, roads closed, vehicles left abandoned in the streets.
    Steve

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Steve,

Two years ago, my wife and I took on some major outside projects, which one was to get rid of moisture and mold that would form in the NW corner of our basement.

At the time we were having a new septic system installed, I had the contractor dig a trench all around the basement walls down to the footings. Because the inside walls were finished, we could not see the cracks in the blocks and mortared joints (common settling problems).

First thing I did was to be sure the drain tiles were clean and open to the sump pump. I then pressure washed the walls, applied a special primer to allow a water-proofing membrane to adhere properly. Here is the stuff...I got it from Menards...

http://www.tamko.com/ProductDisplayPage/tabid/53/ControlType/productDisplay/itemid/1592/Default.aspx

On top of the membrane, I installed the 2" thick pink foam board and sealed all the joints with water-proofing tape. Then back filled.

The sewer contractor charged me $400 to dig, and I did the "repairs" myself. The basement is DRY, and we belive we've saved about 250 gallons of propane each of the last two winters. Now if some of you do not know, up here in northern MN, the only thng seperating us from the North Pole is a broken down Barb-wire fence.

Doug Braker

4. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Good thing the state shoot is not this week. My guess the grounds are very much under water......Please send an ARK!!!

GS

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

That one in Nashville this Spring had to be the topper, however 8" is ridiculous. Here we went from a drought to 3 straight years of excessive rains. A few 3, 4, 5" but, thank Christ no 8-12". My sump pump has been cycling for 2 1/2 years, the interval has varied, but it has never quit (might buy some stock in Zoeller ;-) ). Better luck to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.