1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Milwaukee hand drill--fix?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Jul 11, 2013.

1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I have a Milwaukee hand drill-Battery power-that has stopped working. The gun "smoked" a bit before the stoppage. Could the smoke have been from the brushes? Is there a fix or should I toss it out. I have two chargers and 4 batteries so I was leaning toward a fix. It has always been a great tool.
    Thank you--Dennis Mastrolia

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Most of the time when you let the magic smoke out it ain't worth fixing

If the wires in the brushes have touched the armature, it is almost always a fatal end to the tool

3. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Take it apart and see if you can see if it over heated any were[blueish color]Clean it up a little with a fine sandpaper[600grit] and see what happens. It's broken now so what do you have to lose. For what its worth.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

In my town there is a place that fixes Milwaukee, and very reasonable. The last time I got a trigger switch they gave it to me free.

HM

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Pawn shops and E-bay are your friends. beware of sending it off , the bill can be outrageous!Jeff

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It depends on what created the smoke. If the smoke was from a solid state circuit board that controls speed it's probably not worth fixing. That board is likely part of the trigger assembly so looking up cost on that should give you an idea. On the other hand if you like puttering with solid state you can see if it is the circuit board and see if you can identify the component that burned. My guess would be the diode assembly.

7. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Thanks all. Dennis.

8. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Thanks Barfin----Good web site. Dennis

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have paid the big money and purchased the quality Milwaukee tools for years. I just tried to buy a new 1/2 reversable drill, and the thing looked really cheesy compaired to the old ones. It turns out that now they are made in red china. So you are not paying triple the price for top quality anymore, you are paying triple the price for a commie made piece of junk with a milwaukee label.

My cash stayed in my wallet. I'll go to the flea market and buy a real milwaukee and pay to have it rebuilt, even if it costs more. Who is running these companies?

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Leo it makes no sense, and I am with you on buying American

That is the reason after buying thousands of dollars of their tools over the years I will never buy a DeWalt tool again. I needed a chop saw for a job and went to Lowe's to get one, the had a DeWalt and a GMC (never heard of them before) but the saws looked identical, but the DeWalt said made in the USA, so I spent $100 more almost to the penny, the box said made in the USA, but when I opened it there was a sticker on the saw made in China

I was really POed

11. Bkp2024

Bkp2024 Member

I've had a Panasonic 15.6 volt drill for over 12 years. Not sure where they are made but the are not sold in Lowes Home Depot etc. They might cost a little more but they are defiantly worth it. Anybody else still using 12 year old batteries, they still perform like new. In a cordless drill the battery makes the tool,and Panasonic has the best batteries. While I dont use it everyday I have certainly used it more than your average homeowner. Check em out you won't be dissapointed.