1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Milwaukee county sheriff says get a gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    A Wisconsin sheriff says he released an ad calling on residents to defend themselves because the old model of having a citizen call 911 and wait for help isn't always the best option.

In the ad, Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke Jr. tells residents that when it comes to personal safety: "I need you in the game." He urges citizens to learn to use firearms so they can "fight back" until authorities arrive.

The ad has drawn sharp criticism from other area officials. The president of the Milwaukee Deputy Sheriffs' Association, Roy Felber, says it sounds like a call to vigilantism.

But Clarke says he can either whine about budget cuts that have reduced the number of deputies or call on citizens to work with officers in some situations.

The media is having a field day with his comments.
    Steve Balistreri

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

GOOD for the sheriff!!!

I still have a good friend in the Milwaukee PD We had a conversation over 15 years ago.

He said "everyone should carry their gun and if your found without it you get issued a citation!"

GS

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I saw that on the news. Local alderman did not like it much, and inferred the Milwaukee PD was at proper staffing levels.

HM

4. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

Clarke makes a good point. Much better than the Mayor of Milwaukee that was pummeled with a tire iron and suffered permanent injuries while trying to intervene with a local thug a few years ago. I give him credit for trying to stop a crime, however he would have been much better off with a CCW or calling the PD first. Yet Mr. Barrett is still anti gun and still injured.

5. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

The second amendment is much faster than 911. ed nichols

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I recall a Supreme Court ruling that police have no duty to protect an individual... note the removal of the slogans on police cars - when was the last time you saw the saying "To Serve and Protect"... case closed.

Jay

7. len loma

len loma TS Member

First off I was held up once looking down a barrel of a 12 ga. shotgun. Calling 911 would have done nothing but get me shot.

Sheriff Clark (Democrat) spoke the truth. His department has suffered budget cuts and yes there maybe delays in response because of it. What's not to understand? For speaking the truth he is getting blasted by the liberals and their press. Even if he was staffed with an army of deputies you have a right to decide to defend yourself there and now or call 911.

Milwaukee crime rate is just unbelievable no thanks to the Sheriff's biggest critic on this topic, Mayor Tom Barrett. Plain and simple, I advoid the city. Madison police chief complained about Clarke's comments also. Well the liberal republic of Madison has plenty of crime too with it's fair shares of muggings and murders.

I thank Govenor Scott Walker for supporting and helping to get Wisconsin conceal carry passed and Sheriff Clarke for supporting it.

Len

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The average response of a uniformed LEO is about 20 min. The speed of a standard HV shotgun blast or a HV pistol round is about 1400 FPS!!!!

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Sheriff Clark is taking heat for speaking the truth. I am surprised that the Madison Sheriff went on camera an an attempt to make sheriff Clark look bad. The mayor's comments were uncalled for as he made a snide reference that the Sheriff is acting like Dirty Harry from the Clint Eastwood movies.

Sheriff Clarke does have something in common with Harry Calahan, both of them do not see eye to eye with their boses concerning the way to handle crime.
    Steve

10. Dogbest

Dogbest Active Member

The DA in San Bernardino, CA said the same thing. San Bernardino has filed bankruptcy and cut the size of the police force.

11. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I prefer a 1911 versus the 911. BT100dc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.