1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Millington vs MSSA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Releigh, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Releigh

Releigh TS Member

Hello trapshoots from the state of Maryland. Would someone please identify the issues related to the 2012 state trap shoot. There are a lot of roomers, but nothing is clear. Are the grounds at Thurmont completed and can they handle the MD state shoot. It does not appear that there is enough building capacity for food, registration, bath rooms, and just a place to rest while not shooting at Thurmont. It also appears that there are civil law suits between the state and Millington. I think the trapshooters of MD and nearby states are losing to silly human pride and legal battles that only the lawyers will win.

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Goodby Millington, welcome back Thurmont!!

3. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

At the 2011 Md state shoot, the Delagate said the state shoot would be held at Millington at least 1 more year.Who knows after that?

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

To answer the question if Thurmont can handle the state shoot, they can handle a state shoot much larger in size then any shoot ever held at Millington. Thurmont is situated in the rolling hills of northern Md. a hop away from where many civil war battles took place.

5. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

As far as I know the trap machines that belonged to MSSA have already been removed from Millington and installed at Thurmont. Permits have been approved for restrooms and other work. I am looking forward to shooting at Thurmont, always hated the drive down to the eastern shore on a summer weekend.

I am pretty sure the MD State Shoot will be at Thurmont for 2012.Hopefully someone with more knowledge than myself will chime in with a status report.

JohnR

[​IMG]

6. DONNE

DONNE Member

toolmaker, you are partially correct. Thurmont will be able to hold the state shoot, but in no way it will be near the numbers from the '80s OR comparing to the numbers at Millington!

Releigh, The question you should be asking yourself is why did MSSA leave thurmont in the first place. This board is not the place to air dirty laundry and I will not comment on it.

I understand the reasoning behind the move back to thurmont , but I think MSSA is shooting themselves in the foot. A few people have made an extraordinary effort to make this happen, with alot of it comming out of their own pockets, and I applaud them for it. BUT, I think their money and work could have been put to better use elsewhere. Following the Pennsylvania State and throwing against Ohio State is tough.

As for me. I'll continue to support Millington and maybe this year I'll get to see the Cardinal Center and visit with Brad!

7. Diamond Grade

Diamond Grade TS Member

I will support Thurmont, as it was the best place to shoot in Maryland. I went to Millington twice and due to the background will NEVER go back. Besides the long drive is not worth it. Thanks for letting me add my 2 cents worth. Ron King

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Thurmont happens to be located in a gorgeous countryside, throws visible targets at all times of day, has an abundance of restaurants and motels close by and enjoys a rich heritage. What's not to like but it pays to watch the weather if you're a camper. The Ohio State Shoot will likely affect attendance but that issue might be resolvable in the future. In the meantime, goodby Millington, you'll not be missed!!

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Donne, Do you have the highest attendance year out of the last 15 state shoots held at Millington? The Westy Hogans shoots that were held at Millington were so poorly attended, they had to stop holding it there. I shot the Md. state shoot a few times at Millington and I seem to remember the turnout was no where near the numbers that Thurmont was bringing in prior to it moving to Millington.

10. chipking

chipking TS Member

I am looking forward to shooting at Thurmont this year. Great club with a rich history and mighty pretty scenery.

--- Chip King ---

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Knowing that Thurmont will be reopening almost makes me want to shoot registered targets again. I always liked Thurmont and it didn't hurt that it is a little less than an hour down US15 for me. I went to Millington once and formed the opinion that you can't get there from here. I only went to pick something up from a vendor and shot 100 singles while I was there. I missed one; that's not a horrible score and it was due to nothing but pure shooter error. But I could see where shoot-offs could be frustrating with the traps facing west.

Ed

12. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I shot a MSSA sponsored shoot at Thurmont and everything went just fine. There's enough banks of traps, 4, I think, and they have Classification, Squadding and Cashiering sorted out just fine. There were ample bathroom provisions and the food wagon guy did just fine. Just remember there's Thurmont MSSA AND Thurmont the club, both hold registered shoots and share much of the same real estate, much like Valley & PSSA at Elysbugg...only different...grin Both organizations at Thurmont are cooperating and it's a pleasure to shoot both.

best ....mike (back home btw)

13. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I haven't shot a registered target for a few years now, but I'll shoot the State Shoot Caps at Thurmont. Too many good memories not to.

14. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

I used to love to eat at Bushwallers "forgive spelling" Resturant downtown Fedrick back in the day. A seafood plater that was out of site. Dave Berlet says it's one of his all time favorite places to eat, and anyone who knows Dave knows how much he loves to eat.

When I moved to Maryland in 1985 I hated to shoot at Thurmont but by the time I left Maryland in 1993 it had made me a better shooter because I learned to shoot on a bad background. Every year when I got to Vandalia all the sky targets looked like straight aways to me.

Donne hope to see you at Ohio. Brad

15. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the Eastern Zone shoot held in Thurmont in the late 90's in rotation with NY and PA. I thought it was a great shoot.
    Glad to see it's back.
    Grif

16. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

It's my guess that the Eastern zone and the Westy will eventually be on the plate as well. Brad, we have hard shells at a terrific new place in Emmitsburg, RUBE'S Crab House, just 4 miles from my home. We'll be having oysters on the half for lunch today, and to die for Maryland or cream of crab soup.

Come up and shoot the MD State this year and I'll make the arrangements with Robin for the feed.

best...mike

17. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Border Bandit, I would love too but Ohio's shoot is same week I believe, plus I don't travel much anymore but Ann and I are thinking about a trip this summer to MD just to visit our old haunts, no shooting.

A question are the winter leagues going as well as they did in the 80's & 90's? Brad

18. DONNE

DONNE Member

Here ya go K80433SC.

19. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I for one, know where I WILL be going, DONNE. And that would be Thurmont.....

I shot the MD State Shoot there several times, and also went for an Eastern Zone tournament once. Far be it from me to make any comparisons to Millington or Marengo. This venue has a history and a scenic beauty that cannot be compared to newer facilities. To even try would be like comparing Darlington Raceway to Las Vegas Speedway.

You either like the place, or you don't. I, for one, have always liked shooting there, and was very saddened when the shoots were moved. I've only been to the MD State Shoot once since the move ; did not like it ; am very glad to see it back.

Admittedly - the Ohio State Shoot will make it difficult for Maryland to draw huge crowds. But when I compare a 9-hour drive to Ohio vs a 3.5-hour drive to Maryland, there really is little to think about. Plus - after spending 9 days at the PA State Shoot, it will be nice to come home for a few days to re-charge before heading south on Tuesday.

20. seitz245

seitz245 TS Member

Hi releigh I can tell you that the bathrooms will be compleat soon. I will be there on Tuesday to install the plumbing rough in. The whole crew has been working their butts off for us to have a nice home grounds. I will surly miss millington. But I can promise MSSA and the crew are going to put on one hell of a shoot

Dave Shaeffer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mssa trap shooting