1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Stears had another good day today

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pocatello, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Mike Stears, All-American from Shelley, Idaho, had a good day at the Pocatello Silver Buckle ATA Registered Shoot today. He had the lone 200x200 in the doubles, 100x100 in the first half of the singles, and the lone 100x100 in handicap (from 27 yards), for a 400x400 total on the day. The shoot continues tomorrow with forecasts for winds up to 50 mph and cooler temperatures. Tomorrow's events are the second half of the singles and two handicaps.

Today was hot and relatively calm. In the handicap there were about sixty shooters. Walt Dittman broke a 99, there were a couple of 98s, about four 97s, and four 96s.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You must have some easy targets in Idaho. You would'nt see those scores the east or south.

3. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

No wind in Pocatello!!!!! A fellow shooter said he shot with Mike Stears in heavy wind, and it did not make difference to Mike's being able to hit the birds. 10Tenner

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

What the hell diff. does it matter witch end of the world the targets are thrown from. You still have to hit em. 410ga, Maybe you should come out to the west so you can improve your scores (80x100) Further more stick your 410 up your a$$.

5. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I have been lucky enough to shoot with Mike for many years. They don't make'em any better. Not only is he an extraordinary shot, but one great person. He could keep up with anyone on this board. Maybe not deciding which shot to use..ie..7 1/2 or 8 but shooting, I would take Mike anyday.

Nice shooting Mike, Hope your day two was as good as day one.

Rickyd

6. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Hey Hey Hey easy on the 410 guy.

I didn't see anything out of the way for him to be walking around with a gun barrel out of his tail.

I my self couldn't run the 100 or 200 now days even if I was shooting futher west than I am but I know of some that does shoot out that direction and they say the targets are different from back east all I know it does seem like all of the 400x400 are shot out that direction and a lot of great handicap scores are too.

I think it is great shooting no matter where it was shot im sure I wouldn't shoot much better out there than where im at now because im in a slump anyway.

Great shooting Mike.

By the way any updates from todays events just wondered if he was still on fire.

Foggy

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Today lived up to the forecast, with blustery winds about 25 mph all day, with some gusts much higher. One guy on my squad, a AA singles shooter, ran them yesterday. Today he had a 91. I broke 98 yesterday and 92 today. Mike broke 99 in the singles today for 199 in the total 200, tied with Roland Clark of Idaho Falls. I think Roland won the shootoff. Mike had the lone 98 to win the first handicap, and tied with one other 97 in the second handicap. I think he won that shootoff. So his results for two days were 200x200 in the doubles event, 199x200 in the singles, and 295x300 in the three handicaps - not a bad weekend.

Shot410ga, you're welcome to come shoot some of those easy targets, either at the Western Zone Shoot in July or our Gun Shoot in August. Maybe you can break scores like Mike, but I doubt it.

8. dfm

dfm Member

When the Western Grand was at Larry Mitchell's Salt Lake gun club years ago a lot of non-household name Eastern All-Americans would show up. The first thing they'd say was how easy the targets were due to elevation, less air density, ad nauseum. You'd never see as many 27 yard shooters back East like the West had they'd say. Well, long story short, those loudmouths never did win any of the big events and their scores were nothing to write home about, either. Regardless of where you're shooting ya still gotta hit'em.

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

It sure shows you what kind of an "IDIOT" (410ga) would even come on here and say such a thing. He really needs to put the old crack pipe aside. After that maybe his common cents will come back.

10. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

pocatello:

Thanks for the updates.

Wow 694 X 700 not bad at all it looks like he might have plenty of silver to polish.

Fog

11. randy-s

randy-s Member

Awsome shooting. How did Walt Dittman do today? The weather at last weeks PITA shoot in Boise made things a bit interesting. My hat's off to all you Idaho boys for shooting great scores under such conditions.

12. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Walt had 92 in today's singles, 84 in the first handicap, and 90 in the second handicap.

13. shot410ga

goose2, pocatello: Wow, you guys are a little touchy. Which implies I may have touched on something close to factual. No harm intended, but you two "Crack Heads" couldn't break those kind of scores anywhere in the east. You really want to find out how good you are? Try Middletown GC. And bring lots of money, because you'll be giving a lot away.

14. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Mike Stears is one of the best shooters in the country. He can shoot great scores anywhere in the country. But the reality is that many western shooters do have problems shooting in the Midwest or on the East coast. We can't deny that atmospheric pressure, altitude, sky-line and background doesn't play a part in our game. We know that many Eastern and Midwestern shooters go to places like Utah, Nevada and Colorado to get their 100 in the caps. My best scores were posted in Arizona and Nevada, so I do beleive their may be some advantage in shooting western targets. But that has "nothing" to do with the shooting ability of Mike Stears! In this case Shot410ga you are simply wrong!

Rick

15. BL

BL Member

As I recall, a very famous shooter and excellent shot from the East coast, whom by the way, had won the Grand American Handicap, came to the Sept. shoot last year at Spokane and was defeated by the locals. Maybe the targets here in the West aren't so easy after all. Mike Stears can shoot with the best anyday.

16. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Montana State Shoot starts up on July 11th in Missoula Mt. I would like to invite everyone out to shoot our "easy" targets. There's plenty of room out here in Montana, known as the "The Big Sky"

Can't wait to meet all the Big Dogs from Eastern part of the country. Oh, and we do have one of the dogs...Harlan Cambell will be here, as well as Derek Stringer and of course Mike Stears. Come on out and shoot with the best of them.

Rickyd

17. JStephens

JStephens TS Member

Mike's one heck of a talent.....I don't care what club, State or Continent he shoots at. Other than maybe one Utah location, I've never heard the Big Guns describe our targets as easy, especially up in the Northwest.

Matter of fact we are throwing some of those easy targets starting this Thursday at the Washington State shoot in Spokane, WA......hope to see some of you there.

John

18. shot410ga

I don't think I said anything about Mike being a bad shot. I just said it appears to me you guys shoot girlie targets (48 yards, soft, 1 1/2 hole). I don't think I deserve being called a "crack Head," for that. On the other hand maybe you've got "Earl S." doing your score keeping. Just guessing, and pulling your chain. We all know we're better shooters in the East than you western cow punchers!!!!!

19. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

410ga = crack head

20. JStephens

JStephens TS Member

No...I believe ol'410 is a Meth Lab Engineer : )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.