1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Mann/Stocker John Project PART 2 MORE!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trap2, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I spoke with Mike at the PITA Grand Pacific about getting a nice piece of wood to make a forend out of that would match the stock I have on my MX3 Special. He said he would send me a piece to look at. Below are some pictures of the piece.

trap2_2008_0303151.jpg

trap2_2008_0303152.jpg

trap2_2008_0303153.jpg

trap2_2008_0303154.jpg

This is the forend I want replaced with Mike's wood.

trap2_2008_0303155.jpg

trap2_2008_0303156.jpg

trap2_2008_0303157.jpg

I spoke with John Fittinger (Stocker John) and he agreed to do the job for me. I am going to send him the parts right after the Labor Day shoot in Medford, and he said it would take about 2 weeks to complete. I will update with pictures of the finished project when I get it back....... Stay tuned.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto Zardo, Dan.......breakemall

3. front242

front242 Member

Hey Dan!

Show us the stock he's trying to match. I don't like when the fore end is clearly not even close to the buttstock so I can understand your project.

Front²4²

Tim O.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I'm off to a shoot for the weekend. I'll post a picture of the stock when I get back.... Dan

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ok, here it is. This is the stock I want Stocker John to match...

trap2_2008_0303158.jpg

trap2_2008_0303159.jpg

trap2_2008_0303160.jpg

trap2_2008_0303161.jpg

trap2_2008_0303162.jpg

trap2_2008_0303163.jpg

trap2_2008_0303164.jpg

trap2_2008_0303165.jpg

trap2_2008_0303166.jpg

You guys are wanting to know what kind of work Jonh does, here is your chance to see it first hand. As you can see, the stock is primo, while the forend is crap. With Mikes wood, and John's magic, I expect the best and will post the results here......... Dan

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Looks like the forend wood will match pretty well. Can't wait to see it.

7. Guy

Guy Member

Dan: I don't remember your neck being long enough for a stock like that. Guy

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Well folks, the forend has finally been done. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. Let me begin. I spoke with John Fittinger about making the forend for the MX3 Special and asked that it match the color and finish of the stock on my gun if I sent to him. He told me it would be no problem. I sent the project to Stocker John Fittinger the day after labor day, Sept. August 5th. for what was to be, according to his email, a 2-3 week job. John kept the gun for about a week to rough in the new forend, and returned the gun to me. Then I waited for the finished forend to be returned. I waited, waited, and waited some more. After about 10 weeks, I emailed him several times, and called to check out what the hold up was and was told he had just moved his shop from Eagle Creek to Eugene and had not had time to get it done, but, he said I would have it back in a week or so. He then asked if I would send him payment for the project as I would have it in about one week. Total cost? $462.00! Knowing John, I felt comfortable sending him the money as I felt he could be trusted. Not!! Well, after one excuse after another, 16 weeks later the forend showed up at the house. I was really pumped to get it and immediately took it into the house and opened the box. Imagine my reaction when I saw that, not only did the color not even remotely match the stock I sent him, the finish on the forend was a shiney satin finish and not the very high gloss finish of the stock. In addition to that, the channel cut in the forend for the barrel was too small to fit the gun, and just will not work. I emailed John right away and expressed my concerns. His only response to me so far, several weeks later, was an email stating "Sorry you are not happy with it" period. No explaination, no further contact, or offer to make it right. Since that time, I have emailed him constantly, left messages on his cell phone, and still no answer. I called his shop number only to discover it has been dis-connected. I left messages on his cell phone, which he won't return. I emailed him on Saturday and told him we had several options. One was to fix the forend correctly, with the correct color, finish, and fit. (This solution I really don't want to use, based on his track record with this project to date). The other was to return my money for the project and I would return the forend, and we could go on from here. I told him that if he didn't have the money to refund, I would take 5 monthly payments so he could have some breathing room. I also told him I would give him 48 hours to respond to my request before going public with the problem. I explained to him that I didn't want to let this get out of hand and destroy his reputation, I only wanted what I paid for or my money back. Well, his time is up! Still no response from him. Thanks to Stocker John Fittinger, I'm now sitting on a beautiful, well done, forend that does not match my stock, nor does it fit my gun. Total cost to date for this "surprise? $462.00 for the work and $75.00 for the blank Mike Mann sold me. My advice to anyone considering any stock work by Stocker John Fittinger to seriously re-consider and go with someone else. The trapshooting community is too small for a guy like this to rip off anyone else, and if I can prevent it by this post, it has served its purpose. If anyone is interested in more information, PM me. I have ALL the emails between John and me to support my statements. In conclusion, STAY AWAY FROM STOCKER JOHN FITTINGER unless you're willing to take a chance of having it end the way mine did..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Wow! That looks like it is from some other blank!

None of the figure and grain that I see in Mike's blank doesn't show up in the finished piece.

10. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Ahab, that's Dan's old forearm.

Dan, I think you've been more than patient and given him every chance to avoid this.

11. andybull

andybull Active Member

Gloss finish and a larger barrel channel on the forearm blank you showed, will still not match your stock grain. Sorry to hear about your problem with Stocker John. Good luck with your quest.

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Andy...... You are correct. The blank was a little lighter than the stock, but, it's not a problem to shade the blank to match the stock. It's done all the time.. Dan

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Gary.... I bought the stock from a shooter in Phoenix, and he didn't have a forend for it. That's why I wanted to have one made..... Dan

14. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful stock, Dan. Are you shooting it well? Bill Malcolm

15. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I think a call to a reputable stock maker is on order. Dennis Devault or Wenig or Phil Simms or any number of "name brand" stock makers could take on your project and get you setup the right way the first time.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with "Stocker John."

-Aaron

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bill.... It looks even better in person. The pictures don't do the stock justice. I've been shooting it for about 8 months, and am happy to say, ran my first 100 in singles with it on Labor Day, in Medford. I'm totally happy and confident that the stock fits me like it was made for me... Definatly the best buy I've made in a looooonnnnnngggggg time...lol... Dan

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Still not a word from Stocker John. I hope this forend tastes as good as it looks because I think I'm going to end up eating it.... Dan

18. Champion II

Champion II Active Member

Dan, You would have a hard time to convince me the forearm you got was from the wood you sent him. I think he got ya.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dan, maybe you should post a picture of the forearm Stocker sent back to you taken with your stock? Prevent a tad of confusion?

Hap

20. Brayburn

Brayburn TS Member

Hello Dan. When you get your new fore-end sorted out do you want to sell your fore-end that you have photographed above. No rush can you keep me posted please. Thank you. Philip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.