1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

~~~~~ Migrating Powder ~~~~~

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skip, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Member

This is a picture of my loader after running 150 rounds through it.

The powder is Red Dot, I don't see any powder comming from the powder tube as I'm filling it, only while loading does it do this.

Dicksie Spolar say's she never saw one like this.

Just looking for suggestions and thoughts if you have any.

Thanks in advance.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

For what it's worth, the granulation is too small for Red Dot powder, appears more like the dry lube powder that comes in the small plastic squeeze bottle that is sometimes used on the powder/shot bar of Spolars.

Just my two cents

3. skip

skip Member

Thanks for the comments guy's.

It's powder all right, I checked a couple bushings dimensions for Dicksie but just sent it off a moment ago.

I can see the stuff floating around the end of the powder delivery tube through the beam of a flash light as the powder delivery tube is with drawn from the shell.

4. CRPCShooter

CRPCShooter TS Member

It's awful fine powder even for Red Dot.

I load Clays and get slow dropping pieces of powder but nothing that fine.

Can you sift powder that is that fine out of a sample of Red Dot?

I looks like there is more powder in the center of your reloader than on the outer edges.

5. skip

skip Member

Flincher100

I have a bounce cloth hanging inside the shot container and wiped another all over the outside of the powder container.

The loader is grounded with #12 copper wire to a 10 foot copper clad steel ground rod driven nine feet into the ground.

I have a small air de-ionizer located just above and behind the loader that runs when the hydraulic motor is running.

I have sprayed ESD liquid on the bench and floor just prior to loading.

I have also tried loading with an ESD wrist strap on connected to the ground rod through a 1k ohm resistor.

If the issue was static electricity the ultra fine particles would attach themselves to something on the loader rather than float free and settle by gravity on any flat surface. What you see is the result of NOT having any static electricity present.

Ajax:

Yes it's powder but not from the powder slide, I blocked it off from the loader with white paper and no powder leaks from there.

Thanks for all the comments.

6. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Does it do that with any other powders? Also did it start when you changed to a new container of Red Dot or have you tried a different container of Red Dot. Maybe there is something wrong with that container of powder. You might try calling Alliant and see if they have heard of this happening with Red Dot before.

Jack

7. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I dangle a strip of Bounce inside my powder bottle that hangs almost down to the bottom of the bottle held in place by a piece of tape on the outside of the bottle. Have not had even one off sounding shell like I used to have in the past.

tom

8. skip

skip Member

All powder lots do the same thing, been like this for three years. Never tried any thing but the Red Dot

I did speak to Alliant today, one of the QC Engineers requested I send them a sample, I'll send it off tomorrow.

I've tried every combination of things possible, tonight I loaded with the primer vibration motor turned off. Results are the same.

This material fine like talcum powder. Alliant thought it might be the powder delivery tube scraping burnt material off the inside of each shell. Good thought but not the case.

Thanks for the ideas,

9. C H S

C H S TS Member

I get graphite deposits like that on the cylinder of my PW 900. Graphite floats out of each hull on the powder drop. I use both Clays and Clay Dot and both have a lot of graphite in them.

Andy

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Skip, I think it's dandruff. Try some Head & Shoulders. Glad to help.

11. MX3SBOY

MX3SBOY TS Member

12. skip

skip Member

Pictures are attached correctly here,

Wireguy, those are my thoughts too. I don't think it can leak by any of the clearances associated with the powder bushing and charge bar hole ID. I sealed those minor clearances as an experiment and it made no visible difference. Whatever the material turns out to be it is delivered to the shell with each cycle of the powder charge bar.

The only place it could get milled, if that’s what’s happening is below the powder bushing and charge bar and the housing that the charge bar slides in. There is no other place the powder comes in contact with moving parts.

Ben from Alliant said to shake the container to deposit any loose graphite back onto the powder. I tried that with a fresh container of powder and still got the same result.

A sample of the material was sent to Alliant last Tuesday for analysis.

At this point it’s in the hands of Spolar and Alliant to identify the material and hopefully devise a way to keep it in the shell and not airborne.

13. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Skip,

I use Promo in a MEC 9000. I get that kind of dust around my reloader but not as much as I see you have. The dust is very fine.

Good shooting, Arnie

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Skip, I'm not very familiar with the Spolar, my PW has a rubber O ring between the powder bushing and the powder hopper to prevent that kind of leakage. It wears out with use. Does the Spolar have anything similar?

15. skip

skip Member

Jerry

No o-ring on the Spolar.

Pullll

The picture makes it appear worse than it really is. I had a hard time collecting any quanity of the material that I sent to Alliant for evaluation. The material is ultra fine.

I'll keep ya posted.

16. skip

skip Member

Rich

The top photo was done with a $200 Pentax, hand held, built in flash. Notice the two closest shells are over exposed at least 1 or two stops.

The two pictures that capture the material drifting in air were done with a Nikon 995 on a tripod using the on board strobe to fire a bare bulb strobe (Soft Light) above and to the right of the lens. No depth of field, my fault. Missing the correct depth of field makes the material flakes appear larger than they are.

The Nikon 995 is an older generation camera. It's a model that takes a picture a second or two or three after you press the shutter button. Almost impossible to use on subjects that move.

Thanks for the comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.