1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MidwayUSA Foundation Can Assist Teams

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MidwayUSA Foundation, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidwayUSA Foundation

MidwayUSA Foundation TS Member

Are you aware of a high school or college shooting team in need of both near term and long term/sustainment funding assistance? The MidwayUSA Foundation can help. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help your program to grow in financial security. Contact Jeff McClure @ jhmcclure@midwayusafoundation.org or Terri DeWitt @ TDewitt@midwayusafoundation.org. Visit us online at www.scholasticshootingtrust.org.
    midwayusafoundation_2012_0808.jpg

2. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Thank you Midway!!! This is an awesome program for youth trap.

4. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

5. wingmaster78

6. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

First I have to admit I'm not very familiar with this program but from what I read on the donor agreement a donor can request what school the money goes to, the board actually makes the final decision. That seems odd that if I donated a 1000 specific to a school but the money or matching fee doesn't go to that school.

Second, I am told that schools can only get the interest earned of the money. Not sure if that is true or a different foundation.

7. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

The donor CANNOT control where the donated money is eventually directed. All the donor can do is specify which club is entitled to receive a grant based on the earnings of a hypothetical "account" for the club he chooses.

In other words, if I contribute $5,000 to the organization and name a team, the Potterfields will then contribute an additional $15,000 to the organization. That entire $20,000 belongs to the organization, and they will pay it as they choose, not to the team I specified.

My team will still benefit, since they will allow my team to apply for a grant based on the earnings that $20,000 would have earned (5% limit). That means my team could qualify for a $1,000 grant each year (actually slightly more each year due to earnings on the balance), but that is not the same as my team getting the immediate benefit of my $5,000 donation, much less calling the $15,000 match "free money" as we saw in another thread.

This is a charity set up to benefit shooting sports; in return for getting donations, the organization will pay small amounts to teams, schools etc. based on the amount of donations they generate. If a club can get a lot of people to donate, it can work out very well for the team over a longer period of time, but they are not collecting donations to be held for payout to any specific teams.

They are not misleading anyone, their documents make it very clear the donations do not belong to the team. It is just the postings on TS are making it sound like something it's not.

EDIT: This is really a very good deal for the teams over a longer-term period. Since the team would not make any interest at all on its money otherwise, the grants would mean the original donations were recouped by the team after 5 years if they will payout at least 5%. Every year after that is where it really starts to payoff for the team.

9. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

It is a great program for a club or youth team to become involved with. Thank you Midway for a great program and great people helping with it. I encourage all clubs to get involved. The program does require a little effort from the club/team members but the immediate and future rewards are outstanding! Roger

10. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Just wanted to clarify I wasn't attempting to bash the program and sorry if it sounded that way. Also thank you for the additional information. It sounds like a good program for shooting programs. Any program that supports shooting for young people is a plus to the sport.

11. roger8918

roger8918 Member

The way I understand it, 870 is correct. My team has had an account with Midway for a little over a year now and we have already realized the benefits of this wonderful program. We received a grant this past December for $1,300. Our goal is to get to a point where can cover all of our practice targets and ammo. Right now that would be approximately $7,000 for a 10 week program for 40 young people.

To date our team has $28,724.68 associated with its Midway account. Of that $2050 was donated to the Midway fund under our name. The rest came from either the SCTP or the Potterfields\Midway through incentives and matching money like what was talked about in an earlier post.

The program is exactly what youth shooting needs, consistent, long term, sustainable funding for youth shooting programs across the country.

12. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Roger,

Nice looking group!!

Beautiful web page.

Dennis

13. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

I would say the Midway program has been outstanding for our youth trapshooting club. Doesn't have to be school associated- shooting clubs are eligible. In just over 15 months, we have held 2 Midway sponsored gun raffles, and a Lewis Class shoot with a shootout for an iPAD. Midway provided guns at reduced prices, free guns, and a free iPAD for committments to raise given amounts of money. A large portion of the proceeds were allowed to be kept at the club level for immediate use on ammo and shooting entry fees. The remainder of the money raised went to Midway Foundation into an endowment accout for our club, and in 2012 Midway matched all our donations at 3 for 1.

We now have over $60,000 in our endowment fund, and just received 5% of the total to add to our shooting fund. In 2013 we can apply for another 5%. This fund will be supporting youth shooters for many years into the future, and the chances that they will become lifetime trapshooters are much greater than if they did not have this kind of support.

I can't thank Midway USA enough, their support has been SPECTACULAR in every program we have participated in. (They just shipped our iPAD next day air so it arrived in time for our shootout!) If you are involved with youth shooting, or know someone that is- you really need to contact Jeff or Terri and get the details on what they can do for you. Their program has done so well for us, we've had a couple memorial requests to the youth team that we have passed through to the endowment account, and turned $2500 into $10,000 with their 3 for 1 matching.

The youth of NW Ohio and the Williams County Targetbusters will vouch for this one- check it out!

Joe Nester

Trap Coach

14. zimmie

zimmie Active Member

Thanks Midway, and Joe you do a great job for the kids. Zimmie

15. wingmaster78

16. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

^Up for a great program.

17. GEORGE JACOBSON

GEORGE JACOBSON TS Member

PLEASE, would the people who run this web site keep this info about the middway usas greatfoundation for youth shooting in big blue heading at the top of this great trapshooting website? The young people are our best insurance that trapshooting won"t become a footnote in some history book someday.Start a team at your club soon. Thank you

18. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

George,

They won't because the majority of the people on here ara ATA shooters and The ATA is not interested in Midway Money for the youth shooters that are also CARD CARRYING MEMBERS OF THE ATA!!!

19. 870

870 Well-Known Member

BigBad:

You bash the ATA over this so back it up; what exactly did the ATA turn down and what did the ATA have to do in return. For some reason my guess is there is more to it than your posts disclose.

As I said, it can be a good deal for teams, but many of the earlier posts on this site were misleading in that they made it sound like donations to Midway were directed to specific teams, and that ain't how it works. Was the ATA going to actually get $800,000 as I believe you said earlier, or was it an $800,000 "account" balance?

20. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

870-
    Not sure I follow exactly what your interpretation of the program is, but you seem to be saying that donations made or money raised and deposited with the Midway Foundation goes into a "general fund", and the group that raised the money or received the donations may or may not have access to it.

I don't find the process that way- and we are enjoying enormous benefits from it for our youth shooters. Every group that wants to participate in the program originates an account. And I agree that it isn't "free money", those that want to be involved need some "skin in the game", and that is how it should be. But our account can be viewed on line at www.scholasticshootingtrust.org, and it shows our deposits, (plus interest earned) and even names the donors. I just applied for 5% of our $60K+ balance, and received the check, and we are shooting on it this weekend. Nobody else's balances matter to what our club receives, and it surely isn't a hypothetical account.

These funds have grown to this level for us in 15+ months, and we've run 2 raffles/ steak frys. For the last raffle, Midway Foundation GAVE us 4 Winchester Super Grade Model 70 rifles, the Nearly Perfect Rifle Battery, worth around $5000 (?), and that isn't pocket change. During the 2 raffles, we structured it so we met the obligation to Midway Foundation, but kept over $10,000 on a local basis to pay for entry fees and some ammo. We've helped a lot of kids shoot a lot of targets, at various venues, that they wouldn't have had without the program.

Prior to this program, we worked all year selling 50/50 tickets and maybe a small gun raffle or 2, or raffle off a donated reloader, and we might take in $500 to $750 a year net. It didn't go very far.

All I can say is the Midway folks bent over backwards, were flexible in how we put together the projects, and were super to work with. I will be done coaching before long and someone else will take it over, and for a small committment of time and effort, I could see a program that would fund youth shooting for 20 to 30 years in the future. Every youth club, team, or school that is involved with shooting should make a point to investigate the program. Terri and Jeff are real straight shooters.

Not sure what was offered the ATA for a youth program- nor how those discussions went. But Ohio is working with them on a state program that I hope could develop into some huge regional shoots that receive some dandy financial backing, and all it takes is some vision, effort, and just a little of that "skin in the game".

Joe Nester

Williams County Target Busters

Bryan, Ohio (Look us up on Scholastic Shooting Trust!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.