1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Middle-class areas shrinking in US: study

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by mrskeet410, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Article begins -

"The number of middle-income neighborhoods in the United States has dwindled significantly over the past 40 years, as the rich-poor divide deepens across the country, a study released Wednesday showed.

In 2007, nearly a third of American families -- 31 percent -- lived in either an affluent neighborhood or a mainly low-income one, up from just 15 percent in 1970, according to the study conducted by Stanford University, and released in partnership with the Russell Sage Foundation and Brown University.

Meanwhile, 44 percent of American families lived in middle-class neighborhoods in 2007, down from 65 percent in 1970..."

http://news.yahoo.com/middle-class-areas-shrinking-us-study-000732421.html

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

They must be "movin on up"!

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I don't know what's the study's definition of middle class, but if this is true, that's not good. Middle-class is the back bone of a steady society.

Here's an example of my question of middle class:

Last year my gardener bought a $250,000 (old) house in a traditionally (very) poor neighborhood in L.A., CA, the price of his house is almost double from 2010's national average. He own three horses in a near by stable, his wife works in a school, double income, three kids. I don't know if he would be "poor" or middle-class" in that study.

** An interesting side note:

Said "traditionally (very) poor neighborhood" used to be all "African-American", now it's all Spanish. The price of properties went doubled since the Latino-Spanish took over the area. According to the LAPD, the streets are "cleaner", more stores were opened. I have a mixed feeling about this.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The end of the american dream ...

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

The first thing your going to hear " is a large sucking sound of jobs leaving this country". Seems as though I heard that sometime in the past?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.