1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mid-week humor at Walmart: new ATF reg on ammo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sernv99, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I got schooled today by a manager at my local Walmart about how, due to ATF regs., they can not change the price of ammo, even if it rings up wrong at the register (compared to the price labeled on the shelf) LMAO

This was in response to me buying 2 flats worth of Federal shotshells, at $5.47/box (which they were located right over the sticker that stated the $5.47 price), yet they rang up at $5.97/box.

I thought I had heard it all, from incompetent salespeople/managers working the fishing/hunting/shooting section of these discount chain stores but this new ATF reg. b.s. is the best so far...I was running late for an appointment and this manager was adamant that he was in the right so, hey, time is money for me so I surrendered the extra $10 difference and was on my way....on the plus side, this store started to carry long guns again although I cringe at the thought of what the buying experience would be like buying a long gun from this local Walmart. Enjoy.

2. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

I can't decide whether it was ignorance or lying on the part of the manager. I would have been tempted to put the ammo back on the shelf, but the manager would probably have someone change the shelf price and you would still have paid the higher price.
    I have been very successful at price-matching between Academy Sports & Outdoors, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Bass Pro Shops here in central Texas and back in GA.

Charlie

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

ATF???? That's funny. I guess he thought if he dropped the ole ATF thing nobody would question it. Jeezz

What I find amusing, is many people have to make a point of how anti gun Illinois is yet my local So IL Wal Mart never did stop selling long guns. They now have 4 gun cabinets full of various shotguns, rifles and even "assault rifles". Their ammunition department is also very well stocked. All this said, they still are not my go-to place for long guns although they have had some tempting prices lately as well as some Top Shelf gun makes like Sig and even Colt.

Took these pics yesterday. Good stock of AA's anyway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

SPARTANS!!!!!!

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Zardo,

I'd take that as a compliment even though it was an inconvenience.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If WalMart don't have it, you probably won't need it and thanks for your support ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Maybe I can shed some light on the situations mentioned. The cashier asked for ID to prove age because it is store policy first of all. Second in some state it is the law.

As far as the ATF statement is concerned it may or may not be true. More than likely when the store received their last shipment of Ammo the price was changed and all Federal licensed merchandise has an automatic price update in the computer system. Once the freight is received and confirmed with the home office the home office automatically enters the the price update on those items in the receiving store computers.

Bob Lawless

8. chemist

chemist Member

Here's one for ya. Went to wal mart in NY state ( Gloversville ). Needed . 22 ammo. Salesgirl asked what gun it was for. I said a Ruger 77 bolt action. She asked for ID ( I am a NJ resident) and if it was for a rifle or pistol. Ok, I explained it was a rifle. Sold me the ammo , did not copy any ID info .I asked what difference it would have made if I said pistol. She said that she could not sell that to me if I used it in a pistol, as NJ residents are not allowed to handle any pistol in NY state. That was 2 yrs ago and I have not stopped shaking my head.

Rich K - chemist

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Rich K., You need a pistol license to buy pistol ammo. Under certain conditions NJ residents can shoot a pistol in NYS. HMB

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

The sad part is Wal-Mart employees are not paid enough to lie but they do it anyway when intructed by management. Recently our local Wal-Mart pulled all ammo from the store for purposes of re-training employees. When I asked a sales clerk where the ammo had been moved to he proceeded to tell me the store had never sold ammunition, never mind I had bought it there the week before.

Robert

11. RayReys

RayReys Member

I thought I was misquoted on the price once for those top gun targets too- and wondered why some of them cost me 4.77 and the rest 5.47 (before they hiked prices) - then I noticed that the 3 dram loads cost more than the 2 3/4 dram eq loads .... Not to say that this hapPened to you, nor does this have bearing on the regs he's talking about.

On a side note- there are several employees at my local Walmart that are super helpful when I come in for shells- one woman wanted to go shooting again, another rang me up even though she was supposed to go on break, and another inquired kindly as to why I bought a lot of boxes :) One girl even asked if I wanted 7 1/2s or 8s ! (super targets behind the glass)

12. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

You guys are kidding right?

"Rich K., You need a pistol license to buy pistol ammo. Under certain conditions NJ residents can shoot a pistol in NYS. HMB"

A license?????

Ed

13. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

my local walmart checker always warns me about shooting my eye out with the bb's and to be careful....this is of course in reference to the multiple 12ga bricks I buy at a time!!! Still not sure if she's kidding or not!

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I would say you were lied to about the BATF so called new law. BS BS BS BS. This is the first that I have heard about it.

My two area Walmarts have people who don't know a thing about hunting or fishing. The people who order the ammo have no idea what they are ordering.

Ammo selection in both stores are getting poor. Both Walmarts workers will say anything to get rid of you and or get you to come in the store. I have stopped calling because I have called and thy say we don't have it and then go in and there it is on the shelf. They can also say they have it and don't.

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

In some states its hard to buy ammo if it can go into a pistol. That is true. Va tried that back in the early 70's. I think it lasted about 18 months and then no one bothered to look or take down ID info.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ed, Not kidding. HMB

17. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

HMB...Wow! I guess I shouldnt complain anymore then!

Ed

18. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Went into a Wallie World on the north side of Knoxville TN a year and a half ago. Found some useful ammo supplies and they were starting to restock weapons. Bought some shotgun ammo and some .22's. Clerk asked, rifle or handgun? He didn't even know why. Told him rifle.

Charlie

19. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill TS Member

Sernv99,

You ought to consider yourself fortunate that your local Walmart even sells shotgun ammo by the flat. My local store only has a few limited boxes on hand at any given time, they never put out flats. And whatever they have is locked in a display cabinet.

I went in to look for some rifle ammo a couple of years ago, and they had turned the ammo display cabinet around backwards so the customers couldn't see what was in it.

When I asked the clerk why they did that, he said it was "store policy". Then, when I asked "how are the customers supposed to see what ammo is in cabinet?"

He replied " you are supposed to know what ammo you want when you come into the store".

I replied " I do, the problem is that most of the moron's working in Sporting Goods Dept. here don't know the difference between a .22LR round and a .458 Win. Mag. round, and if I can't point out what I'm looking for to them, I'm simply told they don't have any, when often times it is sitting right there in the cabinet!!!"

They've gone WAY too far left for my taste, I haven't been back since.

YB

20. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I have no idea whether or not Walmart sells trap ammo in Canada...I kinda doubt it because I've never heard of anyone here buying theirs there...might be an excuse to actually go into the store (never been in...yet)...by the way, what does Walmart sell AA's for where you are? We pay $80/flat-tax in. Cheapest price here in Alberta..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.