1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mid-pressure powder ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by emmylou1, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

So, we have talked again about pressure,I learned more,is there a good middle
    of the road powder between say hot E3 and say dirty 800x ?? Im not trying to
    start trouble,I love the game and trapguns,the unsingles are so beautiful,I like the discussion.Oh, figure in cold weather for the powder too,thanx.I use
    700x now.I shot a box of green dot from a friend,much softer felt recoil than my 17 gr.1 1/8 win 209 load............

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You tried the winner - Green Dot. It is one of the best for 3 dram and heavier target loads.

Forget the 800x unless you are making heavy hunting loads. ( 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 Oz @ 1,300+ fps)

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Green Dot. HMB

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The next step in the IMR line for powder with a slower burning rate than 700X is IMR PB. This is a more expensive powder than 700X but it has quite a following for soft recoil and modest pressure. IMO, Green Dot and PB have many similar qualities. PB is super clean, meters well and may be used in a wide variety of loads.

Ed Ward

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

If you like 1@1\8 try 7625 think you'll like it better than GD or PB, The last time I checked it was the same price as PB. Unique is another one that "feels" softer --to me--. Ross Puls

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Green Dot or PB. Both great for 1 or 1-1/8 ounce loads. Some people complain about GD in cold weather, but I keep pressures at 9000 psi. and use Win primers. Never had a problem with GD in northern Indiana.

Wayne

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

8. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

My favorite is PB for reasons stated above. Soft, clean, loads very consistent. Never tried 7625 but if PB wasn't available it would be my next choice. The other end of "my extreme" is 700X. Also clean and I find it's great for lighter loads but it's "thumpy". In the middle of those 2 is American Select. Again, clean and consistent. Not as soft a shooter as PB but not as "thumpy" as 700X.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

I prefer PB over 7625. It seems to take a teacup of 7625 to make a decent load.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try some Clays. 17.5 grs. in a one ounce load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.