1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mid Bead ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rollin Oswald, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Chatbrat,

You have paid for that mid bead and you using it only to check your gun mount? What a waste. You are missing half the benefit of mid beads.

When swinging to targets, it is common for the head and eye to change position relative to the rib. When this happens, you have adjusted the rear sight on the gun and the pattern does not go where expected.

Solution? Glance back at the rib at least once during swings to check the bead alignment and confirm your head has not moved. In addition to more accurate shooting, you will never lead targets too far.

But seriously, if the POI is where you like it the placement is reasonable, put the mid bead in a position that allows a figure-8 bead alignment when you mount the gun. The benefit will be a more easily checked bead alignment during mounts.

Rollin

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

There is no standard dimension, but 15" is a common one. I'd locate the bead to create a "Fig 8" where YOU need it. If your gun shoots too flat and you've had to add shims to make it shoot higher, move the middle bead ahead to create the fig 8. I have an1100 with the middle bead 10" off the front bead so I see a Fig8 w/ 4 shims in the stock.

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Mid bead??? What mid bead. I have not shot a mid bead for 8 years. They are a complete waste of time...........One rear sight one front sight. All that is needed.

GS

4. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

14" is the standard distance between the sights.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

GS- One of the sights you use can move quite a bit. How can you be sure it is looking directly down the center of the rib?

Pat Ireland

6. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I normally put it half way up the barrel. If the customer is wanting to shoot a little higher I will install it closer to the muzzle. Strive for a figure 8.
    Don

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Pat Ireland: I remove all mid-beads from my guns. Often they interfer with seeijng the end bead clearly abd cause one to lift their head. If you need to line up the end bead with the middle bead, use a tooth pick, make an adjustment with an assumed adjutable comb and then remove the tooth pick. If you don't have an adjustable comb, what good is the middle bead? You will continually be moving your head to line up with the gun and the gun should line up with your head. Take them out... Fred

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Fred - I guess I have a different style of shooting. I use the mid bead to line up with the front sight but from that point I do not want to see the front sight clearly. I want to focus my eyes on the bird. Also, my mid bead could never block the front sight even if I was looking down the rib. The top of my mid bead almost touches the bottom of my front sight. I want my head to be in the proper position prior to every shot and I need a mid bead to check this every time I mount the gun. I do use a Precision Fit Stock.

Pat Ireland

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pat, knowing your a very firm believer and user of the fine Precision Fit Stock, maybe I could interest you in one of my inventions? It's called the Precision Head Lifter Preventer!! I'd sell ya one mighty cheap and you could throw away all those ol ball caps you've been given over the years too. While using this device, it's guaranteed you'll only lift yer head one time, then never again! Let me know? :) Haps headlifterpreventerLLC

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Ever shoot at night w/ no beads?? Good Luck. Pat's comments are correct again. I would prefer to add my middle bead on all my guns so I could get that Fig 8 after determining my desired POI.

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Hey Hap, that Precision Head Lifter Preventer wouldn't involve a fish hook would it? lol lol

Just wondering....... ;)

Hauxfan!

12. Rollin Oswald

Kolar-G,

2labman is correct. You failed to correctly interpret my use of the phrase "But seriously," indicating that the previous material was NOT serious.

Rollin

13. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Shotguns don't need front sights. Just your eye and the target with a well fitting gun.

14. Hap MecTweaks

"Shotguns don't need front sights. Just your eye and the target with a well fitting gun."

They need a front something or other to make some sort of reference? No? :) Hap

15. Hap MecTweaks

Gary, I would be infringing on Trons space gun if I worked on those I think. BUT!! Fur a price, I prolly cudd "tweak" up sun sorta excuse er a nuthur fur a two bit aim? I tried to sell Pat a good invention a bit ago fur cheap, guess he figgered it out hisself tho? The Precision Head Lifter Preventer kit, model 1, model 2 wuz a pairo modified vice grips to hold near n dear much tighter to prevent head lifting also. I kant git volenteers fur enny a mount of money fur test purposes tho? Wundur whuts up wif thet? My cup runneth full with my secret lab projects? :)

Kidding aside, those shooting without the front bead must use the barrel end for some sort of reference to know when to slam or release a trigger. Hap tweaksrmeLLC

16. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Hi Pat, Just wondering how many times your mid bead told you to remount your gun??? Or how it helped to show ANY type of correct gun mount??? I can assure you that only shooting one bead I know when I mount my gun wrong. So if it is only used as some sort of mounting procedure........what is it really ever good for? We all know not not to look back after calling for the target. If you do anything wrong after you call for the target, it is a done deal. It is for this reason I see no need for a mid bead!!!!

GS

17. Rollin Oswald

Gary,

What more could we possibly require than universal correctness.

Rollin

18. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

A mid bead is a tool like any other. You will get the most value from it if you use it. If you don't then you won't need it. ...Like, You don't need a soft shooting shotgun. You don't need a color tv. You don't need screw in chokes. etc. But if you have um why not use um.

irfner

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

GS- Many times the relationship between my mid bead and front sight have told me that I need a little more pressure into my face with my right hand. You asked above, "if it is only used as some sort of mounting procedure........what is it really ever good for? The answer to this question is that it is good for making certain your mount is correct.

Hap- Do you make your precision no head lifter device with different size hooks? I would need a very small one. Lets talk about it the next time I get to shoot with you. I will be back at Middletown this year.

Pat Ireland

20. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Hap,

I shoot without beads. My BT99 Plus is set up to fit me well and the rib is adjusted so that I look down a flat surface. If I maintain, through the swing, the correct relationship established with the initial gun mount, as soon as my eye can center focus on the target, the gun goes off. There is no floating or riding of the target.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mid bead on a shotgun
mid bead vs no bead on shotgun for trap
replacing bead on beretta 682 rib
shoot shotgun with only mid bead

shotgun mid bead

shotgun mid bead kit

shotgun mid bead sight

why is there a mid bead on a gun barrel