1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mid-bead replacement, pin-vise?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by samyonix, Jan 5, 2017.

1. samyonix

samyonix Member

I lost mid-bead on my gun (Beretta) and replacement is in the mail. It is a threaded "german silver" bead. So to install it, I basically will hold the bead in a pin vise and screw it in place with a drop of Loctite, is that it?

I know Brownells sells a shotgun bead tool but will a regular pin vise work without marring the bead?

Any tips/tricks ?

TIA.

PS. I know "need for bead" is a controversial subject, but it is a new gun and I haven't yet done learning mounting it reliably.

2. railroad

railroad TS Member

Loctite will keep your new sight installed, but if you encounter it being broken off, removal will be more difficult. I would consider something like clear nail polish to keep it from loosening.
    Trial fit before adding glue.

samyonix thanked this.
  3. duckman

duckman Member

A pin vise and Blue Loctite works fine. But be careful. It is very easy to overtighten and snap off the new bead. Lightly snug it only.

samyonix thanked this.
  4. pcrannel

pcrannel Active Member

The shotgun bead tool from Brownell's will not work on a bead smaller than 1/8". I bought one to do the center bead on a Red Label. Wouldn't tighten on it. I used a little 3 jaw chuck for a hobby tool.

samyonix thanked this.
  5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

There are good pin vises and there are Chinese pin vises. The later will likely bind and leave you with a threaded shank stuck in your rib.

samyonix thanked this.
  6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Any pin vice will work. Be careful installing the bead to deep or you'll scratch the rib with the vice. Blue Loctite works good.

samyonix thanked this.
  7. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

Is there a standard thread pattern for mid beads? Thinking of putting one on one of my guns.

8. Tron

Typically, 3-56.

mike-sid thanked this.
  9. samyonix

samyonix Member

Thanks for all the helpful comments. Armed with this knowledge I was super confident that I could install the bead myself but the bead that came turned out to be a wee bit larger than the hole in the rib. So unsure if I got the incorrect part.

The gun I have is Beretta A400 Xcel Multitarget and bead I ordered was C5E690 from Coles.

I measured the major dia of the shank of the bead to be around 2.5 mm. I wonder if its a 3-56 bead and hole is a M2.5

Time to take it to the experts! Keeping them in business!

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Having had a Chinese pin vise and now a set of Starrett pin vises, there is a night and day difference. Tough to beat quality American made tools.

Tron thanked this.
  11. Tron

Yeah, not "any pin vice will work". Been there, done that.

12. Von Riesen

Von Riesen Member

I find that silicon works great. My A400 was losing beads until I started using silicon problem stopped.

13. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I just had a new A400 in last week with a missing mid bead (Beretta beads are always falling out...loc-tite them). I to thought it was 3-56 or the metric close equivilant. It was actually smaller. I just drilled it out, retapped it to 3-56, and loctited it in.

samyonix thanked this.
  14. samyonix

samyonix Member

I just wanted to leave this here for if someone reads this in future. Took the gun over to Cole's, they had sent me the right sized bead but it seems there was a burr on it that needed to be cleaned out. Nice facility, only 2 hours away and as a added bonus got to stop at LL Bean in Freeport.

15. jerry missimer

jerry missimer Active Member

Starrett makes a set of pin vises. The best u can buy.

16. Rocket3

Rocket3 Member

Totally agree. Top quality and will last a lot longer than you will. Chinese stuff is OK for some tools, not this one in my opinion.

17. AOWINNER

AOWINNER Member

Many of the Chinese tools are use once and done. Buy American.