1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mid-Bead Importance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MD12SHOOTER, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MD12SHOOTER

MD12SHOOTER Member

The mid-sight bead is very important. It determines the comb height. It determines the 60/40 or 70/30 we all talk about, and it tells us that the gun is properly shouldered before we call for the target. Let me explain. The target being small, and flying at high speed, you do not want to take your eyes off of the target for a split second. That is why most factory trap guns are set at 60/40. That means the gun shoots 60% high from the center of the target at around 40 yards. This is obtained from making our snow man. This is done first by setting the length of the stock, which is done by cutting or lengthening the stock until your nose is about 3/4 of an inch from your thumb when the gun is mounted, and done comfortably so this can become automatic every time without thinking. With the comb lowered or raised, the snow man configuration will be obtained. When all this is done, you should shoulder the gun with your eyes closed. Settle the gun in your shoulder, settle your cheek to the stock, and then open your eyes and automatically see your snow man and the two sights will be in line. Now and only now do you have a proper fit gun. Now when you call for the target without even thinking, you should hard focus on the bottom of the target - do not even think of losing sight of the target. Do not even acknowledge that there are sights on your gun. If you can learn not to turkey neck you will be amazed at how fast you can get on a target and how your brain will tell you when to pull the trigger. That’s why adjustable combs have been a blessing to the advanced shooter because the farther back they move for handicap shooting, they raise the comb so they see iron between the mid bead and the end bead so the gun will shoot higher (70/30). Because of the distance and time, you need the gun to shoot higher and they can still have the same hard focus on the bottom of the target.

Focus - Don’t Think
    Ray - Long time reader, first time post.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Here's some reading for ya.

ss

3. turbobike

turbobike Member

That might be the best post on TS.com in a long time...thanks

4. steve coker

steve coker Member

Thats it in a nutshell, very well put

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

If you focus on the BOTTOM of the target, I guarantee you that you will miss more than your share of targets. The leading edge of the target is the proper focus point... Again, some good information, however, only partially correct... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well I only one criticism of this whole thing I never look at the bottom of the target. As when the target is flying away from you, you are shooting at the azz of the bird.

I always concentrate on the leading edge of the target I prefer to shoot at the nose of the bird not the azz.

Bob Lawless

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I always focus on a small, fuzzy blip of orange light.

8. Shell Shucker

Shell Shucker TS Member

Beads? I don't need no stinkin' beads! All of my trap guns are equipped with
    Bushnel Holo Sights. I dial in each gun to shoot 70/30 at 13yds. with the
    load and choke tube that I need for a shoot, and I'm all set.

When I'm at the post I adjust the recticle brightness so that it's just about
    bright enough to see clearly, but not brighter than the targets. Sort of a
    "ghosting" of the red ring and dot on the LEADING EDGE OF THE BIRD.

I've missed many birds by shootin' at their butts on Post 3 while thinking they were just easy straight aways. I,m over that now.

Happy Blastin'

JJ Clarke

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have wondered about the Bushnel Holo Sights but have never seen one on a trap gun, how many other people use them?

10. MD12SHOOTER

MD12SHOOTER Member

If you focus on the bottom of the target, and follow thru with your swing, you will not be shooting the target in the "azz"

Ray

11. MD12SHOOTER

MD12SHOOTER Member

If you focus on the bottom of the target, and follow thru with your swing, you will not be shooting the target in the "azz"

Ray

12. MD12SHOOTER

MD12SHOOTER Member

Ray

13. Shell Shucker

Shell Shucker TS Member

blkcoud;

I'm the only shooter in my neck of the woods that I know of that uses
    Holo Sights. It takes a bit to get used to, but I'll never go back to
    barrel pointin' again for trap. I shoot with both eyes wide open and I
    don't have the barrel in my field of view. Just put the little dot where
    you intend to shoot, and let fly.

Happy Blastin'

JJC

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ray... I beg to differ with you and I believe you are wrong. If you draw a hard right angle from post 5 and shoot at the bottom of the target, I don't care how much you "follow through", you will shoot low and behind the target, more often than not.. Same thing applies to a hard left angle from post 1..... Giving this type of advice is only going to lead a novice shooter down a road that takes a long time to return from. I have taken several clinics over the years, and read probably every book written on shooting trap. Couple that with 30 years of trapshooting and I can tell you this: I have NEVER been told to shoot at the bottom of any target. They all seem to agree that the LEADING EDGE of the target is the focal spot. Perhaps you know something the rest of us don't??... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. MD12SHOOTER

MD12SHOOTER Member

All trap guns shoot high, 60-40, or 70-30 or whatever. So if you do not shoot below the target, and indeed shoot at the "nose" won't your shot go 60%-70% or whatever go above the target, and put the odds in the targets side of getting away?

Ray

16. MD12SHOOTER

MD12SHOOTER Member

All trap guns shoot high, 60-40, or 70-30 or whatever. So if you do not shoot below the target, and indeed shoot at the "nose" won't your shot go 60%-70% or whatever go above the target, and put the odds in the targets side of getting away?

Ray

17. MD12SHOOTER

MD12SHOOTER Member

Ray

18. MD12SHOOTER

MD12SHOOTER Member

Hi Bryce,

"Bottom of target" Not Back of target. If your gun shoots 10" high, why would you aim for the center of the target? wouldn't most of your shot go over the target?

Ray

19. MD12SHOOTER

MD12SHOOTER Member

Hello Again Bryce,

The gun is made to shoot high, because the targets are so small, and with a flat shooting gun you would have to cover the whole target with your sight and barrel, thus loosing complete sight of the target if only for a split second, and the gun makers felt it was better too never loose sight of the target, that is why to smoke the target, you have to put the most amount of shot in the center of the target. If you shoot at a paper and aim at the X all of you pellets are above the X, that is why you say that your gun shoots 100% high. So now you shoot below the target and compensate for the shot above the target to bring in into the X, which means you are shooting below the target. Paper or clay, same difference. Straight aways are more missed than most angles. Why you say? because straight aways are rising faster than they look, and with your gun set at 100% hi, I am sure that you do smoke them, because you have allowed (not knowing) for the extra rising of the target. These are things that I have learned over my 40 years of shooting trap, I am just trying to give a little heads up to some of the new shooters who have had questions listed on TRAPSHOOTER. They can take it or leave it. I know that you cannot teach a old dog new tricks. Ray

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

MD12SHOOTER

"If your gun shoots 10" high, why would you aim for the center of the target? wouldn't most of your shot go over the target?"

Ray to points about the above quote from one of your posts. First I don't AIM a shotgun I point it. If the shot pattern is the proverbial 30" circle would the bead position be much different by shooting it at the leading edge? I use the leading edge because shooting at a moving target is about lead. Concentrating on a point behind/below the target is not conducive to the proper lead. Your eyes are already focused behind/below the target. Which just isn't what you should be doing it.

The second point here is when you started this thread you were telling us what the whole thing was all about. Now it would appear you are asking us. Those are two question you are asking in the quote. It would appear you are not exactly positive you are correct. Which is fine as that is a big part of why this site is here. So if you are not correct you can be put on the path to the correct way of doing what it takes to break the maximum number of targets. BTW the majority of the experts that shoot the big score. Tell us that is the way it should be done.

You said of the center bead.

"It determines the 60/40 or 70/30 we all talk about, and it tells us that the gun is properly shouldered before we call for the target."

That isn't strictly true at least not is all cases. I shoot a Beretta 682 combo. If I take the two barrels and measure the distance between the beads on both sets of barrels the center beads are not the same distance from the front bead. On the O/U it is about 3/4" shorter than on the single. Yet if I ignore the beads the gun shoots exactly the same. To complicate matters more at one time I had three barrels for this gun. A top single which I have since sold and a bottom single which I now shoot and O/U barrels that I use in doubles.
    You guessed it the distance between all beads were different. So how can the beads determine the percentage when all barrels shoot seemingly the same yet the beads are all different?????

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

importance of bead